Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Hey everyone I've just got a new macbook and it's awesome, really feels like a well built notebook. It's just i have one problem.

I have 3-4 specs under my screen, there not dead pixels so I'm 99% sure there specs of dust. Now I'm curious, are all the new Macbooks gonna have a few specs or not? I don't know whether to take it back for a new one or live with it. If most Macbooks are going to have the odd spec i will just hang on to it and get over it. But if most of the owners on here have 100% perfect screens, I'll get it exchanged.

Thoughts?

ChazDaSpaz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
Yeah, this has happened a couple of times on these forums, just take it to apple store and they'll exchange it for you. Well, they usually do...

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
I'd also say to get it replaced, it isn't fair to you to have dust under your screen.. they're probably not gonna say anything and just give u a new one

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I had the same issue with my Alu MB. Made a Genius Bar appointment and explained the situation and the Genius swapped it out for me on the spot. It took 30 mins for them to transfer the RAM and HDD and I was out of there with a new, dust free MB. Just make sure to check the new machine for any imperfections before you leave.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Yeah, I'd take it to Apple. My ex-girlfriend bought a unibody and she brought it in because her battery sucked (her keys were also slanted). They changed it, no questions asked and she got one with a better battery (but her keys are still slanted :D)

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
dont want to revive a dead (and i mean dead LOL) thread but my brand new uMBP has 1 speck of dust right in the middle. Call me anal, but i want my laptop to be flawless. You guys think apple will replace it? should i use it for a week than take it in or should i take it in asap (it was bought yesterday).

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I say the sooner the better. Just make an appointment and take it in. They'll hopefully just do a swap with a new one so you won't be out a computer or anything.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
I say the sooner the better. Just make an appointment and take it in. They'll hopefully just do a swap with a new one so you won't be out a computer or anything.

hahah but do you think they'll do it for that one spec? dont want to go there and look anal and them be like "...its just a speck..."

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
hahah but do you think they'll do it for that one spec? dont want to go there and look anal and them be like "...its just a speck..."

Depends on how many there are. I've found that sometimes the geniuses will find excuses for screen issues like dust where they claim that it's covering multiple pixels and get a replacement even when it's not worth it.

They tend to understand that people are anal about displays...especially Mac users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.