Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Servaas SP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
I'm thinking about buying a eMac with SuperDrive... But I really don't want to get... well... scr*w*d for buying it now.

Because, and correct me if I'm wrong but arent there going to be new releases in like a month or so?

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I doubt the emac will see any upgrades. Also, the prices are great on emacs, so you cannot go wrong.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
If I were in the market for a desktop, I'd certainly get an eMac. They're easily upgradable to a gig of RAM, which will make it faster in almost every task. They're one of Apple's strongest values, as they put all the power most consumers need into a compact and inexpensive package.

Applespider

macrumors G4
It's what I advised my sister to get as her first computer rather than the cheap £599 Dell they were advertising on TV.

She's got the 1Ghz with Superdrive and is very happpy with it although I'll probably get some more RAM for it.

Since she got that, it's been amazing how many non-techie Windows friends have gone by and thought the eMac looks so much nicer than their PC. Getting people to switch on external looks alone! Imagine if she'd had the budget for an iMac :p

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
I find it amazing how many PC people like the eMac's design. Personally I think its the ugliest of all the Apple products. However, that's really not saying much, they sure beat anything out there on the PC side...

PS: I happen to have an eMac so don't flame me if you own one!

emacnewbie

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2004
Oregon coast
Last month our five year old iMac gave up and I started visiting several Mac forums to get info on just what you are concerned about: what will be the next new thing? I'd like to have a dollar for every sure thing rumor about new 20th anniversary Macs, Super Bowl Macs, etc., that were posted all over the net. Last weekend we purchased a new eMac and are glad we did. Got the superdrive, upped the memory to 512, threw in a Canon digital camera, all for less than the cost of an iMac. This wouldn't be the route to take for everyone but for our family it is great. At first the fan noise was more than I liked but after a few days I don't even notice it, especially when listening to iTunes! The only problem is that now we have to invest in better speakers, lenses and a watercase for the camera, a panther how to book,etc.. I really don't think you will be sorry if you get an eMac now but what do I know. Maybe a new one will be introduced right around the corner.....say, the next SuperBowl???

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
The eMacs are cheap and cheerful! Really the price is right for a macintosh. Up the memory (not expensive) and your away! Like the last poster, with the money you save you could buy an iPod :p or speakers etc etc etc

Anyway... buy on impulse you always feel better and 2 months down the line when a new model inevitably comes out, say to yourself - it was a spare of a moment thing that i'll never forget!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
eMac is the lowest spec'ed Mac... so it's not like there'll be some super latest technology thrown in there in the next update.

how about a refurb eMac with CD-ROM and upgrading to SuperDrive yourself? you might save a bundle... :D

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
you might want to look in apple refurbs. last time i looked, there was the combo model for like 649. you also might see a 15in imac for like 949 which isn't bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.