Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I love my new MacBook, but I'd like to get a mouse for it. I was going to get a Mighty Mouse, but I read horror stories about it here. What would you guys suggest? Also, I saw some mockups of a new Mighty Mouse through a quick Google search... Is there any merit behind this, or did somebody just randomly make it? It'd be awesome if they unveiled that at MacWorld this year.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
People don't like the Mighty Mouse because the scroll sphere gets dirty/stuck.

Why they don't have ten seconds to flip the thing over and rub the ball on a piece of paper until it frees itself up is beyond me.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
The best mouse, or better, input device, for the MacBook is it's own touchpad. Well, that's my opinion, at least. Before my purchase, I was planning on getting a mouse as well. But after I got used to the touchpad, I swear by it. No mouse for me (except when gaming). The touchpad rules. Big time.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
The best mouse, or better, input device, for the MacBook is it's own touchpad. Well, that's my opinion, at least. Before my purchase, I was planning on getting a mouse as well. But after I got used to the touchpad, I swear by it. No mouse for me (except when gaming). The touchpad rules. Big time.

I agree, the trackpad is the way to go. But, if you need a mouse, then get a Kensington Slimblade Trackball it is better than the Mighty Mouse and the ball doesn't jam :)

ib4walrus

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
US
Logitech VX Revolution, cheaper than the MX yet still great. Avoided the trackpad when I can since my hand would cramp after prolonged use.
sc002.jpg

Samwise592

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
That's the first i've heard about a new mighty mouse...

I just don't like the way the MM feels in my hand. I have a Logitech Vx Revolution, and it works pretty well for me (I use SteerMouse to map the buttons). I think i'd rather have a MX1100, but i'll deal with what i've got until $80 appears in my hand.

MacAlpha

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Great White North
People don't like the Mighty Mouse because the scroll sphere gets dirty/stuck.

Why they don't have ten seconds to flip the thing over and rub the ball on a piece of paper until it frees itself up is beyond me.

The Bluetooth MM works for me. 3 Months and no problems so far. I agree with Tallest Skill, not sure why you can't just clean it. You used to have to do this with the old mice with the balls in them. No one complained back then. Takes about a minute.

angermeans

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
Do Not Buy the Mighty Mouse

I just switched from PC to MAC and i bought the new MacBook 13" with the MacBook i bought the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse and the reason i am saying this is that the Mighty Mouse is absolutely the worst Apple product i have ever used and that really surprised me as i love my MacBook, iPod Touch, etc. The buttons seems to stick, it gets really dirty, it feels horrible in your hand, and it is way expensive. But the worst of em all is that the speed of the cursor is so slow. I was surprised so i thought there is no way that it can be the Mighty Mouse so i went out and bought a mouse pad and same problem. So i went to preferences and changed the mouse speed to the highest and still i found myself on my small 13" screen picking the mouse up to get the cursor to the opposite side of the screen. This is by far the worst mouse i have ever used in my life. So yesterday i took the mouse back to Bestbuy with all intentions on buying the Loghitech Bluetooth mouse made for the Mac. They had sold out so i with reluctance picked up a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse made for Mac (I was really surprised they made one but since i have only 2 USB ports on my new MacBook I wanted to free it up and go Bluetooth). The mouse is a great mouse it was cheaper ($49.99) compared to Mighty Mouse ($69.99) It is great weight and size and it fits great in your hand. It also comes with a carry bag. As well as it has an on/off switch to save battery life. This has been a great mouse and the reason i am writing is i ignored the bad reviews of the Mighty Mouse cause i honestly thought Apple would and have not created a bad product. I am right as in everything i own Apple is great except the Mighty Mouse needs a huge overhaul in fact i would scrap it and start all over . I hope this helps i will also include a link to the mouse i purchased yesterday as this is probablu the best mouse i have ever used

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=103

angermeans

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
Do Not Buy the Mighty Mouse

I just switched from PC to MAC and i bought the new MacBook 13" with the MacBook i bought the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse and the reason i am saying this is that the Mighty Mouse is absolutely the worst Apple product i have ever used and that really surprised me as i love my MacBook, iPod Touch, etc. The buttons seems to stick, it gets really dirty, it feels horrible in your hand, and it is way expensive. But the worst of em all is that the speed of the cursor is so slow. I was surprised so i thought there is no way that it can be the Mighty Mouse so i went out and bought a mouse pad and same problem. So i went to preferences and changed the mouse speed to the highest and still i found myself on my small 13" screen picking the mouse up to get the cursor to the opposite side of the screen. This is by far the worst mouse i have ever used in my life. So yesterday i took the mouse back to Bestbuy with all intentions on buying the Loghitech Bluetooth mouse made for the Mac. They had sold out so i with reluctance picked up a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse made for Mac (I was really surprised they made one but since i have only 2 USB ports on my new MacBook I wanted to free it up and go Bluetooth). The mouse is a great mouse it was cheaper ($49.99) compared to Mighty Mouse ($69.99) It is great weight and size and it fits great in your hand. It also comes with a carry bag. As well as it has an on/off switch to save battery life. This has been a great mouse and the reason i am writing is i ignored the bad reviews of the Mighty Mouse cause i honestly thought Apple would and have not created a bad product. I am right as in everything i own Apple is great except the Mighty Mouse needs a huge overhaul in fact i would scrap it and start all over . I hope this helps i will also include a link to the mouse i purchased yesterday as this is probablu the best mouse i have ever used

Mako5

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
I have the Microsoft and I really don't think it is that great. Let me qualify that by saying that saying that I am very particular about mice and keyboard as I believe that the way we interface with technology really impacts our ability to maximize the value and productivity we get. BTW I really like the Macbook Al. Trackpad. Really innovative particularly with Multiclutch. Over the last 20+ years I have gone through numerous mice from the original MS "soap bar" through multiple iterations of Logitech, MS and off brand mice including the different Intellimouse Explorer x.0. My current fave for my home machine is the Logitech G5 v2.

So the biggest issue with the MS mouse is the size. It is small which makes it great for travel but really not comfortable for long term high intensity use like gaming. Also MS did not provide a Mac driver to program the 4th button but through this board I learned Intellimouse 6.3 for Mac works well. I found a good alternative bluetooth mouse is the Targus Bluetooth Mouse. A little bigger but much more comfortable. Unfortunately I don't think it works well on all surfaces.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Might Mouse works great for me. It looks great and handles good for the stuff I do with it. Just some basic gaming, browsing etc..

fk51785

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
South Florida
Mighty Mouse. People hate it, but I like it.
Cleaning is fairly easy also.
And if it stops working you can always get new one for free by Applecare.

Nero Wolfe

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just got the Microsoft Arc Mouse, and I'm really liking it so far. It's full-sized, but it folds up for travel. Has a micro-usb thing that magnetically clips under the mouse. It's black and silver so it matches my iMac/MacBook nicely. Has a side button for Expose too. I think it was $59.

arc-mouse.jpg

Here's a MacWorld review.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Does the back end of that MS mouse ever 'catch?' I guess what I am trying to ask is, does it ever not feel solid in the hand while you're using it?

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Well, I too am looking for a nice mouse. And I was looking for a nice bluetooth one...
I didn't buy it yet, but the RadTech's BT600 mouse looks awesome.

http://www.radtech.us is their website, I believe. Go check it out :)

Bluetooth, so it saves an USB port, and this thing charges off a USB cable when you run out of battery and you can still use it while it's charging :D

Nero Wolfe

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Does the back end of that MS mouse ever 'catch?' I guess what I am trying to ask is, does it ever not feel solid in the hand while you're using it?

No it feels very solid. And it never closes accidentally if that's a concern. And from what I understand the hinge is metal so it's pretty durable.

It's actually quite a comfortable mouse. Microsoft may make a crappy OS, but they seem to do OK with peripherals.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
No it feels very solid. And it never closes accidentally if that's a concern. And from what I understand the hinge is metal so it's pretty durable.

It's actually quite a comfortable mouse. Microsoft may make a crappy OS, but they seem to do OK with peripherals.

Cool. Thanks for the review. I remember seeing these when they first came out on engadget.com and thinking that it would be a neat idea, provided that it was executed well. Glad to hear that's the case.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
An alternative to the mighty mouse is the rocket fish BT mouse. It has a similar look/feel to the MM but doesn't have that little button people seem to have fits about. I'm with Tallest Skill... it is beyond me why people can't take 10 seconds to just clean to the stupid thing.

fishniw

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
trackpad + multitouch is really the just the way to go unless you need it for precision ps work or something

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Microsoft mice would be my choice simply because they solve the mouse acceleration problem many mice suffer from unless you use 3rd party drivers like Steermouse or USB Overdrive.

naid

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I've been using Razer mice exclusively since 2000 and couldn't be happier.

Lexoticstylez02

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Orlando, Florida

The tracking speed can be adjusted in System Preferences.. or any mouse, including the Mighty Mouse. I'm sure you didn't adjust it correctly because I just moved my tracking all the way up and had to move the mouse two inches and it was across the screen.

I would recommend the Mighty Mouse, I have the bluetooth one and it works great, I actually think it feels good in your hand, my scroll ball has gotten dirty and I had to wipe it for 10 seconds, and it has been working ever since. It's not a big deal at all, it hasn't disconnected either, always working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.