Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
So.... I need a laptop. I like Mac's, but they're so expensive... I know they're better, but I can't afford one. So I was thinking about a Powerbook G4. 1.67 GHz, 1.25 GB of RAM, 80 GB HDD, Leopard. $650. Will this perform better, than, say, a 1.6 GHz Atom? I would just sync my iPod, browse the web, et cetera.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For your needs, I would say yes. I used a PowerBook for similar things (and more Photoshop CS and Aperture -- though painfully on that note), up until 2 weeks ago.

I still have the PB myself, can't seem to let go of that SOB. Just packed it all up in it's original packaging and such as well.

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
For your needs, I would say yes. I used a PowerBook for similar things (and more Photoshop CS and Aperture -- though painfully on that note), up until 2 weeks ago.

I still have the PB myself, can't seem to let go of that SOB. Just packed it all up in it's original packaging and such as well.

Thanks. How much did those sell for when they were new?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
New? I have the second to last rev, so Rev D I believe. I paid $2200 IIRC. It was top of the line 15" @ the time.

Today, I suspect I can get $500 +/-.
Mine is in amazing condition as well, if you find a scratch I would be semi surprised. Someone saw it recently and thought it was in amazing condition as well.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
The Powerbook is still a strong machine for what you have in mind. However, I had read that 10.6 will only run on Intel machines. If that is true, I would try to make your budget stretch on a Macbook at least to utilize the next operating system.

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
So.... I need a laptop. I like Mac's, but they're so expensive... I know they're better, but I can't afford one. So I was thinking about a Powerbook G4. 1.67 GHz, 1.25 GB of RAM, 80 GB HDD, Leopard. $650. Will this perform better, than, say, a 1.6 GHz Atom? I would just sync my iPod, browse the web, et cetera.

Are you able to find out if this is the high-resolution (last) revision? It would be worth $650 or so then, otherwise it's overpriced.

Thanks. How much did those sell for when they were new?

The Powerbook series is the old version of the Macbook Pro series. So about the same prices.

The Powerbook is still a strong machine for what you have in mind. However, I had read that 10.6 will only run on Intel machines. If that is true, I would try to make your budget stretch on a Macbook at least to utilize the next operating system.

Definitely a smart idea. Look around on Ebay and possibly Craigslist for a Macbook. (Preferably with a Core 2 Duo processor.)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

That is another good point. Snow Leopard won't run on the PB. You need the intel processor. However, I would say if you have a suitable desktop for the heavy lifting and the PB runs Leopard ok (I would up that ram to 2gb), I think you're ok.

Sounds like it is the rev D. For $650 I would expect the high res Rev E model.

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Thanks... Oh, one more question. Assuming performance is the only issue, which is better: the PowerPC processor in the G4 or a 1.6 GHz Atom, like those in a typical netbook?

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Thanks... Oh, one more question. Assuming performance is the only issue, which is better: the PowerPC processor in the G4 or a 1.6 GHz Atom, like those in a typical netbook?

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
The G4 is better at handling heavy processing. It's a professional laptop and a lot of audio engineers and video producers still use the Powerbook line.

The Atom is mainly used in netbooks and personal internet devices. AKA not heavy loads...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6

Not sure of any benchmarks that compare the two processors, but I would rather have a PowerBook G4 than a netbook with an Atom processor in it.

For your stated uses, a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 would be plenty fast. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.