PDA

View Full Version : Is it free to register as an iPhone developer and download the SDK?

rIver89
Dec 29, 2008, 05:23 AM
When I try to download the iPhone SDK, Apple's website prompts me to register as an iPhone developer. Is it free to register as an iPhone developer and download the SDK? I just want to experiment with the editors, and run the code via the included simulator (not necessarily on an iPhone or iPod Touch). Or do I only need to pay the fee when I want to put apps onto the App Store? Thank you very much!

russellelly
Dec 29, 2008, 07:52 AM
When I try to download the iPhone SDK, Apple's website prompts me to register as an iPhone developer. Is it free to register as an iPhone developer and download the SDK? I just want to experiment with the editors, and run the code via the included simulator (not necessarily on an iPhone or iPod Touch). Or do I only need to pay the fee when I want to put apps onto the App Store? Thank you very much!

Yes, the basic registration required to download the SDK is free and will let you run code on the simulator.

You only have to pay when you want to run on actual devices and/or distribute your applications.

firewood
Dec 29, 2008, 08:51 PM

The SDK is free in monetary terms, but you are require to register so that you can agree to Apple's SDK agreement.

You only need to pay the $99 to install apps on any factory-OS device, even your own, or submit them to the App Store.