PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors Forum Upgrade and Redesign

arn
Feb 29, 2004, 01:25 PM
MacRumors Forums have been upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin (3.0).

The new version has a lot of new features... so explore a bit. Feedback and Suggestions may be posted in this forum (Site and Forum Feedback (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)).

If you would like to test out new features, post them in the Testing Forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67").

Style and Graphics

The new forum has a new look, which is more inline with the MacRumors front-page style. The new style is not set in stone, and is a work in progress. The old styles (Mac OS X and the purple default style) are no longer available for use.

Many of the graphics (buttons, smilies) are not ideal and will hopefully be updated in the near future.

Features

Lots of new features, so look around. A few notes:

- Avatars are still only available to users with 500 posts or more
- Use these icons: http://forums.macrumors.com/images/buttons/collapse_tcat.gif to collapse views/forum listings you are not interested in
- New threaded/hybrid views for threads allow you to see discussions in a hierarchical structure. This will only be useful for new threads, as the old vbulletin did not keep track of which posts were replied to.

Searching

Searching will be broken for now while the search index rebuilds.

arn

applemacdude
Feb 29, 2004, 01:36 PM
All this is so cool Arn! Thanks for making MR better

oh cool post count is back on :)

edesignuk
Feb 29, 2004, 01:45 PM
Fantastic! It looks great! :)

scem0
Feb 29, 2004, 01:57 PM
This is my first post since the upgrade. Very nice work arn.

Lots of
cool options :)

scem0

sethypoo
Feb 29, 2004, 01:59 PM
This is going to take some getting used to.

I like the old forums because they looked different from all the other forum pages I have found on the internet. It set Mac Rumors apart, so-to-speak.

Suggestion: is it possible to make the smilies more "colorful"? I don't like this all blue style of things, everything seems to much like monochrome. More color would be very nice. It just all seems too bright.

I know this probably took some effort on your part, arn, so good job, but I still think things are just too.....blue.

Anyway, nice work.

Edit: Ahh! My 'macrumors 6502" status is gone! I miss that!

Grimace
Feb 29, 2004, 02:01 PM
looks fantastic to me. Keep up the good work!

ratspg
Feb 29, 2004, 02:02 PM
Really nice, I have to get used to this, happy with the constant updates! :) ;)

StudioGuy
Feb 29, 2004, 02:03 PM
Tried logging out (which said cookies were cleared) and logging back in again, and still can't get the main macrumors.com page to come up. Instead I get redirectly to the /members/ directory like normal, but there is a text message saying:
--
MacRumors.com - No Ad Member Area

You have been redirected to the no-ads Member area of MacRumors.com. If this was a mistake, return to Mac Rumors. The no-ad area is for MacRumors users who have contributed to the site
--
and so on. Tried the instructions, still to no avail. I know you're just getting it on line, but thought I'd mention it.

at least that's what i'm seeing.

looking forward to looking around later,
StudioGuy.

stoid
Feb 29, 2004, 02:04 PM
Yeah, hopefully we'll get a new design option in a few weeks or so, as it smacks of Windows XP :eek: Best part of the change: the new thread and new post buttons are NOT right next to each other!! It will take a bit of getting used to, but hey OS X took a little while to get used to from 9, and I like the new way MUCH better :p

DreaminDirector
Feb 29, 2004, 02:04 PM
As usual, Macrumors is always getting better. Great work Arn!

ratspg
Feb 29, 2004, 02:05 PM
I've worked so hard to post over 100! and im just a registered user now :( lol

arn
Feb 29, 2004, 02:05 PM
Yeah... the members area is not working at the moment... am working on it.

arn

arn
Feb 29, 2004, 02:06 PM
Suggestion: is it possible to make the smilies more "colorful"? I don't like this all blue style of things, everything seems to much like monochrome. More color would be very nice. It just all seems too bright.

Graphics are not final. See the original post.

arn

Wonder Boy
Feb 29, 2004, 02:06 PM
I like the old forums because they looked different from all the other forum pages I have found on the internet.

i 100% disagree. they all look the same, besides colors.

anyway, i think the new look is great. it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore.

sethypoo
Feb 29, 2004, 02:09 PM

arn

I know, I know, I just wanted to "voice" my suggesstion.
Question: are the old Mac Rumors status lines coming back? I wasn't clear on that.

Gerg
Feb 29, 2004, 02:10 PM
Looks good!

Thanks for all your hard work!

sethypoo
Feb 29, 2004, 02:10 PM
i 100% disagree. they all look the same, besides colors.

I meant different as meaning better, that's all. The Mac Rumors forums looked very, very different from every other forum I've been too.

sethypoo
Feb 29, 2004, 02:15 PM
Mmm, arn, I love the drop down menu's when you click on a person's name. Nice!

latergator116
Feb 29, 2004, 02:15 PM
Im not bashing the new design, but I personally like the older one better with the darker interface. Though I do think the post count number in the top right corner is nifty.

pivo6
Feb 29, 2004, 02:19 PM
I like it so far. It will just take a little while to get used to.

fukuhela
Feb 29, 2004, 02:21 PM
This is so much better than the old design if you ask me. - Very nice work.

I think it is much more functional. :o

macreator
Feb 29, 2004, 02:23 PM
Looks great! Keep up the good work!

pyrotoaster
Feb 29, 2004, 02:26 PM
Nice to see new features in the forums, arn. The new User CP is great.
The new look will take a bit of getting used to, but I think it looks fine.

Fonts?! Now that, I like. :D

IJ Reilly
Feb 29, 2004, 02:27 PM
Well done. A nice upgrade.

Can the text field be expanded horizontally and/or vertically? That's the only change I'd recommend at this point.

Pyrix
Feb 29, 2004, 02:31 PM
Got fed up waiting for Gold I presume ;)

VB3 is a vast improvement on 2; glad you made the jump :)

O.

pyrotoaster
Feb 29, 2004, 02:32 PM
I'm just a "Registered User" now?!
But I liked being a "Mac Rumors Series of Numbers Beginning with a Six"!

It magically changed back... Go figure.

Then again, I do like these fonts...
Ooooohhh... fonts...

LimeiBook86
Feb 29, 2004, 02:34 PM
Whoa...this really rocks!!

I am very impressed... :D

Thanks so much!!

sethypoo
Feb 29, 2004, 02:35 PM
Yes! Status names are back! Thanks arn! Expanding text horizontically/vertically would be great, too. Also, the User CP seems to be scrunched over to the right side of my browser window. Can it be spread out more?

mymemory
Feb 29, 2004, 02:37 PM
Looks great! Keep up the good work!

Arn:

1. The Quote inside another box create too much visual contamination, I mean, the forums have a lot of boxes it self already and now we are adding more boxes. It looks good but after you start searching and reading comments is more efficient to have bold letters only.

2. There are two "Reply" bottons now. One should be called "Quote" itself and the Replay botton at the left should be at the right side of the page to have all the bottons together and not needing to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other, that is part of a efficient the navigation. Actually you should have Reply and quote one beside the other to keep it simple.

3. Again, from the graphic desing porin to view I think you are using too many frame borders one inside the other. That is making my eyes tired. Just imagine you have to surf the site for 10 minutes! is not the desing of a single page. Try to use colors in place of some of the margins. Keep it simple.

sethypoo
Feb 29, 2004, 02:37 PM
I'm just a "Registered User" now?!
But I liked being a "Mac Rumors Series of Numbers Beginning with a Six"!

It magically changed back... Go figure.

Then again, I do like these fonts...
Ooooohhh... fonts...

Yes, fonts are very fun. I still think it's a little to "Windows XP"-like. But yes, I know, the graphics are a work in progress.

MacBandit
Feb 29, 2004, 02:38 PM
The new forums are great. I'm really digging the new features and better navigation style. The colors are horrible though.

Keep up the good work Arn.

I'm still waiting for a new Mug as well.

Doctor Q
Feb 29, 2004, 02:51 PM
I don't recognize the place! Actually, I belong to another BB that has a similar look, and I thought I went to that bookmark by mistake!

Is there a page somewhere that shows a list of the vBulletin 3 new/changed features?

Grimace
Feb 29, 2004, 02:52 PM
Leave it to MR users to try andc change EVERYTHING about the site to their liking.... :)

TheT
Feb 29, 2004, 03:05 PM
It takes a lot of getting used to, but I think it'll be good after a couple of weeks :) Pop-Up menues are just awesome... the smileys are horrible though :p

idkew
Feb 29, 2004, 03:07 PM
I like the upgrade, the colors could be played with, but the new gui is nice.

edit- figured it out. and thanks for the other solution.

Nermal
Feb 29, 2004, 03:08 PM
GMT+13 timezone support at last! :D

All of yesterday I couldn't connect, just got a "forums being upgraded" message. So I knew something was coming. :) I tried to connect to IRC but I got a message saying "you have been D-Lined", whatever that means :confused:

A few observations, some of which might have been listed already:

- attached images no longer appear, you have to click them
- post count is shown without needing to go into profile
- can now use the toolbar thingy in your signature
- haven't found a way to change date or number formatting away from the American system (eg. set dates to D/M/Y)

MacBandit
Feb 29, 2004, 03:11 PM
I like the upgrade, the colors could be played with, but the new gui is nice.

But- one problem for me. I used to have a bookmark of the search url that to me to different searches. I wasn't able to re-create the situation and make a new bookmark with this upgrade. This is not a bookmark to the search page, with the otions and such, it tis a bookmark of the actual search info that is sent to you.

Arn- can you give us a sample search url for this new upgrade?

Are you referring to for example a search for all new posts?

If you are there is a link to that search right in the menu bar at the top of the page labeled New Posts.

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=getnew

Or you can probably use that format to get your search results to any search.

MacBandit
Feb 29, 2004, 03:19 PM
My biggest problem at the moment is when I click on the thread link in a new post reply email it doesn't correctly take me to the the linked post. It doesn't even take me to the correct page. It takes me to the first post on the first page of the thread.

WM.
Feb 29, 2004, 03:24 PM
Woohoo, luxuriously big text box! :D

This seems like a mostly positive change, but I really don't like much of the text. It's way too big almost everywhere. Safari 1.2 made a lot of things quite a bit smaller on the old software, and I was just getting used to that when this change comes along and now everything is at least as big as it was before if not bigger. Usernames are especially bad, IMHO--instead of being a normal size and bold, they're Roman and ginormous. I haven't found a way to change any of this yet.

Maybe things would be better if my screen weren't 800x600, but that's not going to change for several months at least.

Oh, BTW, my text size preference in Safari (1.2) is 13-point Times, in case that matters. (Perhaps the software figures sizes based on a percentage of the user's preference?)

WM

Sun Baked
Feb 29, 2004, 03:29 PM
Well most all the bookmarks I had are broken.

So I can't even add a furious smilie easily. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11368

MacRAND
Feb 29, 2004, 03:33 PM
arnDramatic and positive changes, arn. Fine work.

Missed the QUOTE button in each box, but now it's automatic for the Reply in that box, excellent. Even better, is removal of EDIT button from every box except the author's own - I can't count the number of times I've accidentally clicked the wrong button for the same dialogue Hey, Dummy, you did it again! or something like that.

Very intelligent design & layout, more logical and Panther-like, such as in the new Format Bar filled with more modern (MS Word) icons - excellent, and the extended options for formatting now are great.
For those of us that are "spelling" challenged, could we have a simple spelling checker, please?
Thanks for everything, arn.
(Like some others have commented, everything is kind of BLUE on BLUE, don't you think?)

It's a petty thing, but instead of an image of the AOL Runner next to the member names providing a hyperlink to their AIM name (quite ingenious, arn)
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11846
could you fix it up so we have the iChatAV icon for .Mac AIM instead?
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11844

Arn, can images be either a LINK or appear as a THUMBNAIL graphically? (Later: Wow! it works ;) BOTH ways. As a test, I've attached a $30 mail-in Rebate coupon good for a new 8x DVD Superdrive - the Pioneer DVR-A07, selling between $199 or $169 BEFORE the Rebate! ends 3/31/04)
http://www.lemonlawoffice.com/lemonimages/lemonlaw_animation2.gif
http://www.lemonlawoffice.com
I love that we can list more than ONE image at a time, keeps us from having to do ONE Reply for each image we want to share.
I guess we really do have an option to either place an image, our just make it a Link.

Besides MS Word .doc files, I'd like the option of providing MS Excel .xls files NOT as an image (like .PDF), but as something others can download. (That works too: attached a .PDF file)
Besides multimage .gif files, could you allow small QuickTime .mov files, oddly they can be smaller when converted from a .gif.
If it can be done, I don't understand how to do it yet.
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11848
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! I just did an IMAGE reference to an uploaded Attachment (see it below) and it activated the .gif. The Lemon Action I got from a website, then all I did was Drag & Drop the Lemon Image on that page's web Address box and the .gif was added to the page's URL. Copying that enhanced URL address into the IMAGE box gave me a Link to the page that only displays the Lemon Image from the page, as you see. Sometimes I feel so smart :D

MacBandit
Feb 29, 2004, 03:34 PM
Woohoo, luxuriously big text box! :D

This seems like a mostly positive change, but I really don't like much of the text. It's way too big almost everywhere. Safari 1.2 made a lot of things quite a bit smaller on the old software, and I was just getting used to that when this change comes along and now everything is at least as big as it was before if not bigger. Usernames are especially bad, IMHO--instead of being a normal size and bold, they're Roman and ginormous. I haven't found a way to change any of this yet.

Maybe things would be better if my screen weren't 800x600, but that's not going to change for several months at least.

Oh, BTW, my text size preference in Safari (1.2) is 13-point Times, in case that matters. (Perhaps the software figures sizes based on a percentage of the user's preference?)

WM

You know you can easily change the display text size in Safari by hitting the Apple and + or - keys.

Doctor Q
Feb 29, 2004, 03:35 PM
Post counts are displayed in threads again. They were there once upon a time, but removed for seemingly good reasons. Are we trying it again?

iHack
Feb 29, 2004, 03:38 PM
For what it's worth; I do like the colours. It looks fresh/clean (at least that is what the Dutch term would be, translated. I don't know whether it makes any sense in english :p ).
Congrats on the new site, Arn!

M.

chubad
Feb 29, 2004, 03:41 PM
Very nice clean easy to use and read look. Great Job! :cool:

Snowy_River
Feb 29, 2004, 03:45 PM
I've been waiting for this update ever since the main page updated. I like the new interface much better. I tried switching to the OS X theme in the old interface, but a lot of the graphics left something to be desired.

Kudos!

James Craner
Feb 29, 2004, 03:50 PM
I like the new design and features - Well done.

It appears to be running slowly at the moment, with some, 'the server is to too busy' time out messages, but I assume this is just a temporary problem.

slipper
Feb 29, 2004, 03:53 PM
one thing thats lacking from this forum is a scroll bar at the bottom of the window. one allowing the user to quickly switch between the different forums. just like fast user switching. PLEASE add this feature!

Sedulous
Feb 29, 2004, 03:54 PM
Yeah, the new format is nice. You know, if the user could control the color of his/her reply background, that would make this site very colorful... and perhaps remarkably hideous.

Mudbug
Feb 29, 2004, 03:55 PM
so far I've been quite impressed, especially with the layout tools and wysiwyg controls. I must say I'm glad to see this up and running ;)

ThomasJefferson
Feb 29, 2004, 03:56 PM
Great work Arn. Clean look and well organized. Very spiffy.

King Cobra
Feb 29, 2004, 04:06 PM
Ahh...excellent. Now I know when I'm flaming a newbie just by looking over at their post count.
http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_snipersmilie.gif

I can tell that the upgrade will take a bit of getting used to. And I feel that it's all in the appearance of the GUI that determines whether or not one decides to want to get used to changes in functionality.

Status names are back! Thanks arn! Expanding text horizontically/vertically would be great, too. Also, the User CP seems to be scrunched over to the right side of my browser window. Can it be spread out more?

Not Comic Sans!! http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

johnnyjibbs
Feb 29, 2004, 04:06 PM
Thank god you're back, I couldn't get my daily fix :D

Will take a little getting used to but I'm liking it so far!

hob
Feb 29, 2004, 04:12 PM
The new design is starting to hurt my eyes :P Time I dug out my glasses!!

Althought I love it, there's a little something missing - in the old CP, you used to be able to select "Subscribed threads from the last XX days" but now it's either all threads or the last 24 hours.... :confused:

CalfCanuck
Feb 29, 2004, 04:12 PM
I think the look is cleaner and the navigation seems easier and a little more intuitive - good for the new users. Sweet!

virividox
Feb 29, 2004, 04:13 PM
yay. i like the new design its friendlier and a lot fo things are easier to do now.

Opteron
Feb 29, 2004, 04:13 PM
I'm missing the little task bar that use to be under every post, with "email, www, itunes, PM, Quote, User CP..."

Will take time to get use to.
I'll post later upon ferther inspectoin :p

Also, some of the attached images aren't showing up :confused:, not sure why

arn
Feb 29, 2004, 04:18 PM
Members area should be working now.

arn

Tried logging out (which said cookies were cleared) and logging back in again, and still can't get the main macrumors.com page to come up. Instead I get redirectly to the /members/ directory like normal, but there is a text message saying:

arn
Feb 29, 2004, 04:19 PM
I'm missing the little task bar that use to be under every post, with "email, www, itunes, PM, Quote, User CP..."

Will take time to get use to.
I'll post later upon ferther inspectoin :p

Also, some of the attached images aren't showing up :confused:, not sure why

They've been moved to the username as a pop-down menu. Try clicking on the username in the thread.

I prefer the old layout myself... but I suppose this is cleaner.

arn

duce
Feb 29, 2004, 04:24 PM
Clean interface, much better than before. Keep it up.

XForge
Feb 29, 2004, 04:25 PM
Black on white is a lot easier to read than black on grey. I like it, so thanks.

MrMacMan
Feb 29, 2004, 04:31 PM
I dunno...

First post since new forum is up...

Too white... :(

Nermal
Feb 29, 2004, 04:35 PM
I just noticed that the maximum avatar size has increased from 50x50 to 75x75 :)

MrMacMan
Feb 29, 2004, 05:10 PM
I just noticed that the maximum avatar size has increased from 50x50 to 75x75 :)

Yup which means my Avatar is gonna look totally shrimpy after everyone moves their avartar to bigger ones!

gah!

Why is the 'reply' of a person (aka quoting) on the right side, and then the acual 'reply' (for new post) on the left side?

P.S at night when I like to post... this forum is gonna make my room glow... all white! :rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Feb 29, 2004, 05:12 PM
A big change: The notification e-mails now contain the text of the new post, not just the member name, thread title, and URL. However, I would find it more useful if they had something they don't - the post# within the thread, which is now shown at the top right of each post.

I've never known why, but sometimes those links take me to the page AFTER the post I'm aiming for, so knowing what post number I'm looking for would be especially helpful.

(Having the text of the post in the e-mai isn't important to me, but might be to others who aren't online as much of the time as I am, because it is only the first of potentially many posts since I last checked the thread.)

gwuMACaddict
Feb 29, 2004, 05:12 PM

oooo, bonus! and yes, this new fangled forum is growing on me

arn
Feb 29, 2004, 05:16 PM
Why is the 'reply' of a person (aka quoting) on the right side, and then the acual 'reply' (for new post) on the left side?

I think it's to encourage replying to specific posts.

Check out the "Threaded" view of this thread, for example (top right)

arn

rjrufo
Feb 29, 2004, 05:19 PM
I don't know if the AIM Icon was on the old version, but I noticed it on the new. (BTW, I really like the new look.) I tried clicking on it to see if it worked, but it says that I need the AIM client. Is there a way to make it work with iChat?

It's not really a big deal to me one way or the other, but I thought I'd ask.

Arn, keep up the great work, MacRumors just keeps getting better all the time.

JohnGillilan
Feb 29, 2004, 05:20 PM
Lookin good

Noiseboy
Feb 29, 2004, 05:26 PM
It seems a little bright to me, I have to dim my screen a bit, but it's easier for my rather aged eyes to read, well done on making constant improvements. :cool:

pepeleuepe
Feb 29, 2004, 05:38 PM
I love the new features. I'm sure once you figure out the graphics it will look great. Great work and thanks for putting so much time into this site. I'm sure everyone here appreciates it as much as I do.

Thanks again. :)

hvfsl
Firstly nice changes, MR is now much better than before.

Would it be posible to be able to add an image to the Signature? Maybe something no bigger than 600x100 pixels and no bigger than 20K.

Edit: I would not mind paying the demi-god membership fee if I could do this.

rdowns
It seems a little bright to me, I have to dim my screen a bit, but it's easier for my rather aged eyes to read, well done on making constant improvements. :cool:

A quick run through of the site and I like. Great job Arn.

I do agree about it being too bright. After reading this thread, my eyes are bugging out. I think a darker color is needed (maybe in the user info box on the left) to offset the brightness.

MacRAND
Feb 29, 2004, 05:44 PM
I don't know if the AIM Icon was on the old version (NO), but I noticed it on the new. (ME TOO) ...
I tried clicking on it to see if it worked, but it says that I need AIM client. (CORRECT).
Is there a way to make it work with iChatAV? (PROBABLY NOT. If there is, arn will find it.rjrufo, iChatAV is an AIM client by reason of the partnership between Apple and AOL, but apparently only AOL's AIM works through MacRumors' servers while on the internet.

Some of the AOL / iChatAV confusion comes from the appearance of the AIM icon itself, which is the point I was trying to make in Post #41, asking arn to use the iChatAV icon instead.

However, that may be the WRONG thing for him to do.:confused:
When I tried to send myself an Instant Message from my iBook by clicking on the link "Send Message Via AIM"
AOL's AIM software automatically opened from my applications folder (Not iChatAV), and that program provided an Instant Message text box. Not sure if iChatAV is designed to do exactly this yet. I'm not sure that it's the regular Text Box or not, because I only use iChatAV all the time.AIM
Send Message Via AIM to MacRAND (randmacdonald (use i)
Add randmacdonald (use i to your contact list
Send randmacdonald (use i a message
Please note that these functions require that you actually have the AOL Instant Messenger application installed on your computer. So my advice if you want to use Instant Messaging through MacRumors and their servers, download AIM at: http://www.aim.com/download.adp?aolp=
I also have to have MSN Messenger active for several of my clients who do not have or do not want to use AIM or iChatAV.

But absolutely the coolest :cool: new hyperlink / AppleScript capability that arn has provided for us in his newest design is the Add macperson (use i to your contact list
which at least sets the person up in your AIM Buddy List, and then
all you have to do is Copy/Paste that person's AIM Name to your Apple Address Book along with their MacRumors' handle and real name if you know it, then ADD the macperson to your iChatAV Buddy List.
Oh, I feel an AppleScript in the making - someone out there please use your skills and talent to do this for us (I can't, not me...)

rdowns
Feb 29, 2004, 05:45 PM
Was one of my favorite areas of site. :mad:

edit: post counts seem to be off. this post had the same number as my previous one.

Doctor Q
Feb 29, 2004, 05:53 PM
I've been looking at the Display Mode choices: Linear, Hybrid, and Threaded. My observations:

In Linear mode, you see all posts to the thread, each with its post # within the thread.

In Theaded mode, you see the reply-structure (as a tree) for the thread, followed by one post. You can click a post in the tree to see that post below. Again, the post # within the thread is shown.

In Hybrid mode, you see the tree plus a number of posts below. When you click a post in the tree, the post display changes to cover only that post and its descendants. In this case, the post #s shown are within the subset, not within the whole thread. This might be misleading if you try to find the same post in the other modes.

As you switch from one mode to another, it remembers which post(s) you selected.

One last thing: In Threaded mode, there is no post reply button at the bottom, only at the top. In Linear and Hybrid mode, you get post reply buttons at the top and bottom of the display.

Squire
Feb 29, 2004, 05:56 PM
This is so much better than the old design if you ask me. - Very nice work.

I think it is much more functional. :o

Ditto. I was going to ask how you quote but I see that it does it automatically. I was also going to suggest putting the FAQ section at the top or something but I see it's already there. Good job.

Squire

P.S. Sorry about emailing you regarding my login problems, Arn.

Rower_CPU
Feb 29, 2004, 06:00 PM
rdowns-
arn has to fix the permissions on the Private forum. We had non-demis sneaking in when the new forum first fired up. ;)

Once that's all fixed, we'll have access to those forums again.

WM.
Feb 29, 2004, 06:05 PM
You know you can easily change the display text size in Safari by hitting the Apple and + or - keys.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Unfortunately, changing the size like that only affects one tab. I don't want to have to hit cmd-"-" every time I create a new tab or window. That would be very Microsoftian.

The other problem is that using cmd-"-" makes all the text smaller, including the buttons and menus! (I'm sure that's a feature, not a bug.) So now all the post-editing controls are mini instead of small, which sucks. I'd rather have a site-wide preference where I could set post text to be 12 point or whatever, and (ideally) usernames to be the same size but bold, while not making already-small sig text any smaller, etc. I have Safari set to "never use font sizes smaller than" 9 pt, and I think using cmd-"-" will override that, so now a lot of the text is smaller than I'd like.

I think this is all an evil arn conspiracy to get me to pony up the $20/yr for Contributorship so my bitching will carry more weight. :p

WM

Blaaze
Feb 29, 2004, 06:22 PM
looks great arn

Photorun
Feb 29, 2004, 06:31 PM
As also, great job Arn. Thanks for the hard work and making one of the best news and rumors sites better and better all the time!

trog
Feb 29, 2004, 06:33 PM
Your site and your forums just keep getting better and better.

Hmmm... how many posts do I have, can I make an avatar.... doh!

:(

Wonder Boy
Feb 29, 2004, 06:38 PM
I meant different as meaning better, that's all. The Mac Rumors forums looked very, very different from every other forum I've been too.

ok, i get ya.

benixau
Feb 29, 2004, 06:39 PM
Lickable :D

CTerry
Feb 29, 2004, 06:54 PM
Personally as a forum administrator myself, I prefer IPB (tis even developed on a Mac :D, the developer has to use Virtual PC to make sure his updates work on Windows machines :D) to vB 3, but then I prefer vB 2 to vB 3 which I find a bit bloated. But then its all about personal preference.

Nice forum skin though, quite impressive. Ive been a bit of a lurker for a while now, not a bad skin at all.

rjrufo
Feb 29, 2004, 06:55 PM
rjrufo, iChatAV is an AIM client by reason of the partnership between Apple and AOL.

Some of the AOL / iChatAV confusion comes from the appearance of the AIM icon itself, which is the point I was trying to make in Post #41, asking arn to use the iChatAV icon instead.

I know that iChat is an AIM client, but for some reason, when I click on the AIM icon, I can't send an IM.

First, when I click on the icon, a pop up window appears with the following message:

AIM

Send Message Via AIM to rjrufo (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?userid=12131) (rjrufo)

Add rjrufo to your contact list (aim:addbuddy?screenname=rjrufo)

Send rjrufo a message (aim:goim?screenname=rjrufo&message=Hi.+Are+you+there?)

Please note that these functions require that you actually have the AOL Instant Messenger application installed on your computer.

I don't have, and will not install the AOL Instant Messenger application. I use iChat exclusively (not iChatAV... yet).
Then, if I click on one of the links, I get the following message:

Can't go to address
Cannot go to “aim:addbuddy?screenname=rjrufo”, because Mac OS X doesn’t recognize addresses starting with “aim:”.

or

Can't go to address
Cannot go to “aim:goim?screenname=rjrufo&message=Hi.+Are+you+there?”, because Mac OS X doesn’t recognize addresses starting with “aim:”.

TrenchMouth
Feb 29, 2004, 08:00 PM
wow looks and works great, i wish all the forums that i posted in worked as well as this one now. sure the smilies arent all that great, but i can deal with that. everything else feels much better. good job.

MacRAND
Feb 29, 2004, 08:06 PM
Sure, it would be nice if arn could figure out a way for us to use iChatAV instead.

However, he may be unable to do so.:confused:

When I tried to send myself an Instant Message from my iBook by clicking on the link "Send Message Via AIM"
AOL's AIM software automatically opened from my applications folder (Not iChatAV), and that program provided an Instant Message text box. Not sure if iChatAV is designed to do exactly this yet. I'm not sure that it's the regular Text Box or not, because I only use iChatAV all the time.So my advice if you want to use Instant Messaging through MacRumors and their servers, download AIM at: http://www.aim.com/download.adp?aolp=
I also have to have MSN Messenger active for several of my clients who do not have or do not want to use AIM or iChatAV.

But absolutely the coolest :cool: new hyperlink / AppleScript capability that arn has provided for us in his newest design is the [/B]
which at least sets the person up in your AIM Buddy List, and then
all you have to do is Copy/Paste that person's AIM Name to your Apple Address Book along with their MacRumors' handle and real name if you know it, then ADD the macperson to your iChatAV Buddy List.
Oh, I feel an AppleScript in the making - someone out there please use your skills and talent to do this for us (I can't, not me...)rjrufo, If you want to take advantage of this wonderful capability, download AIM...then use iChatAV all the rest of the time. It's called a temporary work around, until arn figures out how to incorporate iChatAV into the website for us. Remember, AIM is not like loading AOL, that's where I draw the line!

rjrufo, just put you on my iChatAV Buddy List, hope to see / hear you online.

Macmaniac
Feb 29, 2004, 08:21 PM
I have seen this used on other v.bulletin sites, they have a reputation meter that allows people to leave positive and negative feedback on each other, so for help forums will be enhanced by knowing you are getting advice from a trusted person.

Frisco
Feb 29, 2004, 08:29 PM
The new look is much easier on the eyes. Before my eyes strained when I read a lot--this is much brighter and no strain on my eyes.

Great Work!

TimDaddy
Feb 29, 2004, 08:32 PM
Fresh and clean! I like the new look. Keep up the good work. :cool:

Awimoway
Feb 29, 2004, 08:35 PM
Very nice work. The improvements will be appreciated. Inevitably, there are few things I miss, of course:

I miss the OS X look, although I admit that it wasn't perfect
I, too, hope we can the post count display
I agree that the graphics look too Windows XP-ish and look forward to the improved work on them

Wardofsky
Feb 29, 2004, 08:45 PM
A very nice upgrade, I'll use it more now :0
It's like gettin an OS upgrade :P

blueBomber
Feb 29, 2004, 08:48 PM
I kinda like the monochromatic look, reminds me of my first mac :D :cool:

Krizoitz
Feb 29, 2004, 08:52 PM
I have to agree with other posters about the colors. I find that the page is too white and the date bar, and the poster info box are too similar to the white background. I think darker more contrasting colors would be better, its one of the reasons I stuck with the default appearance over the OS X one. If possible it might be helpful to allow the user to specify those color changes.

Also I miss the yellower smilies. I actually really like the iChat style smilies, these ones seem so, um, System 7.

WM.
Feb 29, 2004, 08:54 PM
Well, evidently nobody cares about my complaints ;) , but I'll continue to bring it up if things stay as they are....Not to plug other sites or anything, but after taking a peek around the rest of the Mac Web I think I like AppleInsider's take on vBulletin pretty well (though I don't know what version they're using). With a lighter gray for the background I don't think that would be half bad. I also like that the sigs are an unobtrusive color and in a smaller font--after the first few times I really don't need to see someone's sig over and over again (speaking of which...I should probably change mine!). N.B. I don't post on AI, and I don't read it nearly as much as this site.

I also post on a (non-Mac) site that uses Little Hamsters in a Cage. I like the form and function of that one too. But I doubt it's very easy to switch forum software, so I wouldn't ask arn to do that.

BTW, this might not be such a big deal if OmniWeb had horizontal tabs and a newer version of WebCore--I'd take advantage of its site-specific preferences to make the text the "right" size (OW probably doesn't use mini controls either). But on a community-oriented site, I shouldn't have to rely on a for-pay browser to make it usable on my Mac--which I don't think is that unreasonable. Things were just fine with me under version 2, text-wise.

Always rocking the boat...
WM

edit: Okay, the sig is gray and smaller now... :)

WM.
Feb 29, 2004, 08:59 PM
Gosh, Krizoitz, I didn't realize how much we had in common! :D I look to be about ten posts and eight days of membership ahead of you, and my birthday's off by a few months, but otherwise: occupation, location, time of most recent post, and, like I said, post count and date of registration...

:cool:

WM

iBrodie
Feb 29, 2004, 09:05 PM
Just wanted to say it looks great

I have been Lurking on MR for a year now and I finaly thought I would come join the fun.

iChan
Feb 29, 2004, 09:07 PM
feels like i will never get to 500 posts

MacRAND
Feb 29, 2004, 09:28 PM
feels like i will never get to 500 posts :D Ha, Ha. You're post 99 and I'm post 100.
500, here WE come. :cool: Pull again for the JACKPOT!

Xero
Feb 29, 2004, 09:28 PM
hey looking good but... all the sudden post counts are gone.. wha? :confused:

Sun Baked
Feb 29, 2004, 09:30 PM
hey looking good but... all the sudden post counts are gone.. wha? :confused:They were there temporarily, until arn had time to remove them after the switchover.

They caused problems in the past, and were bound to in the future.

job
Feb 29, 2004, 09:35 PM
The registration date also appears to have been hidden.

Fascinating... :)

pimentoLoaf
Feb 29, 2004, 09:41 PM
Been clickin' around, posting & editing a few items and it's a much-needed series of improvements.

Very best regards. :)

Nermal
Feb 29, 2004, 09:47 PM
The registration date also appears to have been hidden.

Fascinating... :)

You can still find them if you look :)

Total Posts: 3,280 (4.29 posts per day)

Nermal
Feb 29, 2004, 09:49 PM
When I click the MSN button, I get the message "Please note that these functions require that you actually have the Windows Messenger application installed on your computer". Blasphemy!

ClimbingTheLog
Feb 29, 2004, 10:38 PM
Since the system now keeps track of which post replies to which does that mean I can limit my e-mail notifications to mail to me? I typically don't even read the replies since I often don't have time to look through dozens of replies looking for the one replying to mine.

rjrufo
Feb 29, 2004, 11:02 PM
rjrufo, If you want to take advantage of this wonderful capability, download AIM...then use iChatAV all the rest of the time. It's called a temporary work around, until arn figures out how to incorporate iChatAV into the website for us. Remember, AIM is not like loading AOL, that's where I draw the line!

rjrufo, just put you on my iChatAV Buddy List, hope to see / hear you online.

Thanks MacRAND, I may consider installing AIM, but in the past, I had problems and decided to stay away from it. Maybe those problems have been resolved. :rolleyes:

You'll be able to see me online with iChat, but I don't have iChatAV yet, so you won't be able to hear me. I'll add you to mine as well.

Omad0n
Feb 29, 2004, 11:04 PM
I just wanted to say I like the overall changes, though I agree with the rest, it'll take some getting used to.

MoparShaha
Mar 1, 2004, 12:34 AM
What happened to the "Delete" option when editing threads? There used to be a checkbox that you could use to delete your post.

MoparShaha
Mar 1, 2004, 12:40 AM
The more I browse, the more I don't like how the thread starter is listed directly under the thread title. I liked it better when there was a separate column for the thread starter. Having the thread starter right under the title is distracting when reading the title.

Rower_CPU
Mar 1, 2004, 12:50 AM
What happened to the "Delete" option when editing threads? There used to be a checkbox that you could use to delete your post.

That's been gone for quite some time.

trebblekicked
Mar 1, 2004, 12:55 AM
i dig it. i like the new posting interface and the hierarchal threads. much easier on the eyes, too. good stuff.

i was going to say i have to redo my 'tar to use the new sizes, but it's been time to change for a while anyway...

coumerelli
Mar 1, 2004, 01:06 AM
i dig it. i like the new posting interface and the hierarchal threads. much easier on the eyes, too. good stuff.

i was going to say i have to redo my 'tar to use the new sizes, but it's been time to change for a while anyway...

hmmmm (and I'm adding everything in these parenthesis because I got a 'The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.' error)

Rower_CPU
Mar 1, 2004, 01:09 AM
hmmmm (and I'm adding everything in these parenthesis because I got a 'The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.' error)

That's a not so subtle way of telling you that "hmmmm" doesn't really add much to the conversation.

Think of it as a spam filter. :eek: ;)

coumerelli
Mar 1, 2004, 01:13 AM
That's a not so subtle way of telling you that "hmmmm" doesn't really add much to the conversation.

Think of it as a spam filter. :eek: ;)

:) actually I was just toying around with the new look and features not intending on posting, but it struck me funny when I got that error (when I previewed my 'post'). :D

I do like the new drop down menus and such. The look is clean, but have to agree with the others - maybe a tad bright. I also happen to like the old way 'quotes' were included in...well, quotes (bold and blockquoted).

MacBandit
Mar 1, 2004, 01:48 AM
:) actually I was just toying around with the new look and features not intending on posting, but it struck me funny when I got that error (when I previewed my 'post'). :D

I do like the new drop down menus and such. The look is clean, but have to agree with the others - maybe a tad bright. I also happen to like the old way 'quotes' were included in...well, quotes (bold and blockquoted).

Yeah the black on white text is fine for the windows but with everything else being white it's burning my eyeballs.

Xero
Mar 1, 2004, 01:59 AM
Thanks MacRAND, I may consider installing AIM, but in the past, I had problems and decided to stay away from it. Maybe those problems have been resolved. :rolleyes:

You'll be able to see me online with iChat, but I don't have iChatAV yet, so you won't be able to hear me. I'll add you to mine as well.

um, have any of you actually tried just hitting "send message to this person" or whatever it is?? becaue when i hit it, it opens a message window in iChat just fine. (iChatAV 2.1Beta)

sooo yeah.. give it a try

MacBandit
Mar 1, 2004, 02:08 AM
um, have any of you actually tried just hitting "send message to this person" or whatever it is?? becaue when i hit it, it opens a message window in iChat just fine. (iChatAV 2.1Beta)

sooo yeah.. give it a try

Agreed this works fine for me. It could be that if you have AIM installed that AIM will open. I do not have AIM and iChat opens the link just fine.

CmdrLaForge
Mar 1, 2004, 02:14 AM
Hi Arn,

first of all: thanks for the great job ! I really appreciate that ! I know that its just such a lot of work to get a site and forums like this one running. So thanks for that again.

From my perspective the new forum style is great even so I miss the "old" OS X style. Great new features.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

m4rc
Mar 1, 2004, 02:16 AM
Just a thought, but for all those who don't like the very white look, can't you turn your contrast down? I think it looks clean and makes everything much easier to read.

Or, put some sunglasses on! :cool:

Marc

MacRAND
Mar 1, 2004, 02:25 AM
You'll be able to see me online with iChat, but I don't have iChatAV yet, so you won't be able to hear me. I'll add you to mine as well.I have seen you, but it was late on the East Coast so anyone in their right mind in Bean Towne was surely asleep. Phoenix is a least 2 or 3 hours earlier than Boston.
Had fun chatting with myself, between iBook and G4 Quicksilver - it got very silly talking to myself very quickly:)
Accepting my own advice, I installed AIM on the G4 too, and actually upgraded each to version 4.7, and provided the URL to click for an easy download.
To UPGRADE to iChat A V, just go to: http://www.apple.com/ichat/download/
I am still amazed at being able to talk, text and video conference with friends in UK living near London, half way around the world. Amazing.
Oh, I messed with AIM a little, and still don't "like" it as much as iChatAV, but no big deal.
MacRAND

Savage Henry
Mar 1, 2004, 02:26 AM
For such a rich vein of Macintosh users there are a surprising number of people here who seem adverse to change, not large just surprising.

On Win XP it does seem a tad stark with the whiteness, but I will wait to pass judgement until I use it on my Mac when I get home.

I trust that has been helpfully non-committal. :)

Krizoitz
Mar 1, 2004, 03:05 AM
Gosh, Krizoitz, I didn't realize how much we had in common! :D I look to be about ten posts and eight days of membership ahead of you, and my birthday's off by a few months, but otherwise: occupation, location, time of most recent post, and, like I said, post count and date of registration...

:cool:

WM

Thats because you are my alternate personality...or maybe I am yours...so confusing...

Doraemon
Mar 1, 2004, 06:30 AM
I'd like to see the month/year of registration return next to the user name.

StudioGuy
Mar 1, 2004, 06:46 AM
For members, I agree the main page is now working.

Clicking on the page 2 link goes to http://www.macrumors.com/members/page2/ which also has the "MacRumors.com - No Ad Member Area" error indicator. Tried the logout/login thing again to no avail.

Forums are working, but still show the ads.

In this message, I moved the text insertion I-bar to an earlier location and click a smilie to add it, but it added it to the bottom of the message instead. I know this used to work.

that's the latest member sees...

kylos
Mar 1, 2004, 07:10 AM
Very nice redesign. And pulled off pretty flawlessly. Of course the appearance still requires some fine tuning, but the new capabilities are great.

Oh, and for those of you not wanting to use aim, if you don't mind trying a little preference file hacking, you may be able to get ichat to open the links by adding a record to the file ~/library/preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist. Also, I think there may be a prog out there that will let you change the program url bindings without having to mess with the xml. That's not to say ichat knows how to handle the aim url. It would seem that if ichat can do it, then it already would. But you can't know until you try.

wrldwzrd89
Mar 1, 2004, 09:13 AM
<edit2> Problem fixed now. No need for this post. </edit2>

msbsound
Mar 1, 2004, 10:04 AM
Looks great. Makes things easier to read.

Doctor Q
Mar 1, 2004, 03:22 PM
I noticed that you can now preview personal messages before sending them. Two thumbs up!

A quibble about error messages: I think that the titles of messages like "Server is too busy" should say "MacRumors Forums" instead of "vBulletin". IMHO, a good software package can put its name at the bottom of every page in little print, but it shouldn't mention itself so prominently. It makes it look like an uncaught software error instead of a unfortunate-but-normal condition. And it shouldn't tell you to contact the webmaster when the server is busy. I'm sure arn already knows when the server is busy.

Can the message be customized?

UKMacBod
Mar 1, 2004, 05:02 PM
Just to say I really like the new site - very clean indeed!

wdlove
Mar 1, 2004, 06:07 PM
I just came across a nice new feature of the forum redesign. When I got my E.Mail notification today, it also included the actual post of the person. So now you can ready the reply prior to posting.

MacBandit
Mar 1, 2004, 06:12 PM
I just came across a nice new feature of the forum redesign. When I got my E.Mail notification today, it also included the actual post of the person. So now you can ready the reply prior to posting.

Yeah, I noticed that last night. It's nice because you then know whether or not you need to go to the forum to reply or not.

WM.
Mar 1, 2004, 07:12 PM
I'd like the registration date back too. Month and year, like before, at least...

Stinkysteve
Mar 1, 2004, 08:37 PM
I liked the old look, but the new design has some really great features!
This is very good!
Thank you Arn.

idkew
Mar 1, 2004, 09:27 PM
just a nit pick arn, but the new quote oval does not perfectly line up on the top right and left sides. see the attachment for the visual. hope this helps you.

edit- i just noticed, the curved quotes, and the square attachment things don't go well together. i realize this is a work in progress, and are prolly currently curving the attachment box... but i thought i would try and help.

MoparShaha
Mar 1, 2004, 09:57 PM
I'd like to have a link to MacBytes back at the top of the forums, like it was in the old forums. After I've posted something, I want to go back to MacBytes, and usually I just hit the link at the top of the thread. Now I have to navigate back to macrumors.com from the tab, and then go back to MacBytes from there. Pressing the back button brings up a prompt asking if I want to submit my message again...annoying...thats why I prefer having the MacBytes link.

vniow
Mar 2, 2004, 01:23 AM
Woah.

First off, the new features are awesome. The colour options are wonderful and the attachments manager is also great (Sun Baked, take note).
The only quibbles I can think of for now is the avatar arrangement (I much preferred them to be centred like in the OS X theme as opposed to on the left like in this one) and the fact the the IMG tags aren't enabled on all forums has been a bit of a bother as well, perhaps this could be remedied at last....

wdlove
Mar 2, 2004, 01:58 PM
I'd like the registration date back too. Month and year, like before, at least...

I second your suggestion WM. It's nice to know how long a person has been on the forum. Just gives a frame of reference about longevity.

arn
Mar 2, 2004, 02:29 PM
Woah.
and the fact the the IMG tags aren't enabled on all forums has been a bit of a bother as well, perhaps this could be remedied at last....

which forums don't have img tags allowed?

arn

vniow
Mar 2, 2004, 02:47 PM
which forums don't have img tags allowed?

arn

MacRumors' Page 2 News Discussion
MacBytes.com News Discussion
New Mac Application Announcements
Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback
Marketplace and Classifieds
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion
Switch Stories
Political Discussions & War Discussion
MacRumors Old Skool

Think that's it.

Doctor Q
Mar 2, 2004, 03:43 PM
Am I correct that the Top Ten (http://forums.macrumors.com/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=10&ltr=) can no longer be displayed with position numbers, and that the only way to get the list is to click the Posts heading in the Member List display?

Also, I notice that member Macrumors does not have an avatar!

Rower_CPU
Mar 2, 2004, 03:45 PM
Web design still doesn't allow inline images either. I PMed you about it a while ago, arn. ;)

Doctor Q -
I think that's correct.

Krizoitz
Mar 2, 2004, 03:51 PM
Currently on the forums main page there are icons which indicate the thread state

yellow = new posts
clear/white = no new posts
lock = locked

I think it would be more consistent to change it to the following

green = new posts
yellow = no new posts
red = locked

Mac OS X style and all

vniow
Mar 2, 2004, 04:03 PM
Web design still doesn't allow inline images either. I PMed you about it a while ago, arn. ;)

Ah thank you, I forgot about that section because I had it hidden, Mac Gaming and Distributed Computing don't allow them either.

arn
Mar 2, 2004, 06:27 PM
For members, I agree the main page is now working.

Clicking on the page 2 link goes to http://www.macrumors.com/members/page2/ which also has the "MacRumors.com - No Ad Member Area" error indicator. Tried the logout/login thing again to no avail.

Page 2 and BuyersGuide should be working now for contributors.

arn

arn
Mar 2, 2004, 06:27 PM
Ah thank you, I forgot about that section because I had it hidden, Mac Gaming and Distributed Computing don't allow them either.

All should support inline images now.

arn

Rower_CPU
Mar 2, 2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks, arn. Looks good!

wdlove
Mar 2, 2004, 07:18 PM
Am I correct that the Top Ten (http://forums.macrumors.com/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=10&ltr=) can no longer be displayed with position numbers, and that the only way to get the list is to click the Posts heading in the Member List display?

Also, I notice that member Macrumors does not have an avatar!

Doctor Q go to Members List and then click on Posts in blue menu bar.

http://forums.macrumors.com/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30&ltr=

Doctor Q
Mar 3, 2004, 03:04 PM
Another new feature I like: You can preview your edits when you modify a previous post, and you can specify a "Reason for Editing".

After posting, I edited this post.

Snowy_River
Mar 3, 2004, 04:46 PM
Just a thought, but for all those who don't like the very white look, can't you turn your contrast down? I think it looks clean and makes everything much easier to read.

Or, put some sunglasses on! :cool:

Marc

Or you can use the Universal Access feature to invert your screen! :D

Snowy_River
Mar 3, 2004, 04:48 PM
...and for those of you not wanting to use aim, if you don't mind trying a little preference file hacking, you may be able to get ichat to open the links ...

I'm not sure what the hubbub is about this. When I click on the links, iChatAV opens. Is my computer just special?

Rower_CPU
Mar 3, 2004, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure what the hubbub is about this. When I click on the links, iChatAV opens. Is my computer just special?

I'm special, too! :D

Snowy_River
Mar 3, 2004, 05:00 PM
Okay, I have a complaint about the new forums.

I used to keep a URL bookmarked that would automatically perform a search for my posts. Now it seems that there isn't a way to do this any more. This is irritating, as it was the way that I chose to keep up with threads that I didn't actually want to be subscribed to. (I don't like to have my mailbox filled up with notifications all the time).

Also, when I do a search, it no longer shows a "Go to first unread post" on the search page. This means that I have to go to each thread then go to the first unread post. This extra step is also rather irritating.

Any chance that these issues can be fixed?

Rower_CPU
Mar 3, 2004, 05:04 PM
Click on your name, then click "Find more posts by <yourname>".

Presto! :)

Snowy_River
Mar 3, 2004, 05:50 PM
Click on your name, then click "Find more posts by <yourname>".

Presto! :)

But I can't bookmark this search. I've tried. So, by this method, first I have to find one of my old posts, then I can do a search...
:(

Rower_CPU
Mar 3, 2004, 06:19 PM
Try this:
http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=6652

It's from the "Find all posts by Snowy_River" on your profile page.

Snowy_River
Mar 3, 2004, 06:25 PM
Try this:

That's the ticket! Thanks, Rower! :)

MacRAND
Mar 3, 2004, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure what the hubbub is about this. When I click on the links, iChatAV opens. Is my computer just special?Mine went to AIM, probably because I had installed AIM on my system already. Had I not, likely iChatAV would have come up. :confused:

idkew
Mar 3, 2004, 07:55 PM
Try this:

but this page still does not have the "goto newest post" button. i used that button a lot, as i do not subscribe to threads.

Rower_CPU
Mar 3, 2004, 07:58 PM
but this page still does not have the "goto newest post" button. i used that button a lot, as i do not subscribe to threads.

Well, it's only supposed to show you your posts. Take it up with the vBulletin folks. ;)

You can always click the thread title from that page and the click on "View First Unread" at the top left of the thread.

Snowy_River
Mar 4, 2004, 10:34 AM

Yes, that complaint still stands for me too. Please, please, PLEASE, bring that button back!

arn
Mar 4, 2004, 10:36 AM
Yes, that complaint still stands for me too. Please, please, PLEASE, bring that button back!

Um... can people be more specific about exactly where these buttons were and what functions they did?

arn

Mudbug
Mar 4, 2004, 10:58 AM
Um... can people be more specific about exactly where these buttons were and what functions they did?

arn

they're still there, they've just moved. In the top bar, there's a "quick links" button - in the drop down menu is the "new posts" link. That should be what you're looking for.

MacBandit
Mar 4, 2004, 11:20 AM
they're still there, they've just moved. In the top bar, there's a "quick links" button - in the drop down menu is the "new posts" link. That should be what you're looking for.

I think they are talking about the newest post in a thread not a forum.

It's still possible to go to the newest post in a thread the only way I can remember there ever being. When you are in the forum and looking at a thread there is a category that says last post and in that category it lists the last user to post in that thread. Click the arrow next to their name to go to the last post in that thread.

MacRAND
Mar 4, 2004, 12:48 PM
arnPage 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7 Last >>

Doctor Q
Mar 4, 2004, 02:25 PM
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7 Last >>Which means "go to last page of thread", not "go to last post of thread", and not "go to the newest post that I haven't read".

Snowy_River
Mar 4, 2004, 02:48 PM

arn

When you visit a thread that has posts that you haven't read yet, at the top of the page there is a button with a text link that says "http://forums.macrumors.com/images/buttons/firstnew.gif View First Unread". There used to be a similar button on the search page. It would not only take you to the thread, but shoot you down to the first unread post. Now, if you want similar functionality, you have to first go to the thread, then click this link in the thread itself.

arn
Mar 4, 2004, 03:02 PM
When you visit a thread that has posts that you haven't read yet, at the top of the page there is a button with a text link that says "http://forums.macrumors.com/images/buttons/firstnew.gif View First Unread". There used to be a similar button on the search page. It would not only take you to the thread, but shoot you down to the first unread post. Now, if you want similar functionality, you have to first go to the thread, then click this link in the thread itself.

Can you not click on the same arrow link (http://forums.macrumors.com/images/buttons/firstnew.gif) on the search page?

arn

arn
Mar 4, 2004, 03:04 PM
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7 Last >>

Again... you have to be specific. I have no clue what you are trying to say... "Last" has always been there.

arn

MacRAND
Mar 4, 2004, 03:15 PM
Again... you have to be specific. I have no clue what you are trying to say... "Last" has always been there.
arnarn, not on the page I took it from, I added the word Last>> and arrows in red because it wasn't there... Kind of thought it should be.
Logically, "Last>>" would be like FastForward to the END,
while, "<<First" would take us by FastRewind to the START = Post #1.

Sometimes, I search back from the Last Post to catch the meaning or history of a thread, then I want to go back to the very END to do a REPLY, at which point I may look to see if there is anything between the Last Post and the END before I REPLY.

Thanks, Snowy_River, now I better understand "last unread".

Squire
Mar 4, 2004, 03:49 PM
I used to use the "view first unread post" button all the time to. It was especially handy if you were following a thread but were not actually subscribed to it.

Squire

arn
Mar 4, 2004, 04:07 PM
I used to use the "view first unread post" button all the time to. It was especially handy if you were following a thread but were not actually subscribed to it.

Squire

Again... the button is still there. Please point me to a page where you don't think it is on, and I'll show it to you. :)

arn

arn
Mar 4, 2004, 04:09 PM
arn, not on the page I took it from, I added the word Last>> and arrows in red because it wasn't there... Kind of thought it should be.
Logically, "Last>>" would be like FastForward to the END,
while, "<<First" would take us by FastRewind to the START = Post #1.

Sometimes, I search back from the Last Post to catch the meaning or history of a thread, then I want to go back to the very END to do a REPLY, at which point I may look to see if there is anything between the Last Post and the END before I REPLY.

Well, I assume you realize that "Last" is still there... but it takes you to the Last page, not the last post. I believe this is how it always worked.... eh?

Snowy_River
Mar 4, 2004, 04:22 PM
Can you not click on the same arrow link (http://forums.macrumors.com/images/buttons/firstnew.gif) on the search page?

arn

Where is it?

arn
Mar 4, 2004, 04:32 PM
Where is it?

<sigh>

Look, I don't mean to get pissy.... but PLEASE GIVE ME A URL

I feel like people are just toying with me here.

Q: "That button I always use is gone"
A: "Which button?"
Q: "Yeah, that button was awesome"
A: "Which page? which button?"
Q: "Oh, here's a screenshot of a blank space... this is where the button was"

Here's mine, if you click on New Posts (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=getnew)

Snowy_River
Mar 4, 2004, 05:08 PM
<sigh>

Here's mine, if you click on New Posts (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=getnew)

Okay, here's a URL:

This is a search for all posts that I've made. (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=6652)

This is the search page that used to have the "View First Unread" button, but doesn't have it any more. If you can show me where on that page those buttons show up, I'd be delighted.

(The image that I attached last time was a typical one of the 'records', or what ever you want to call them, that the search returns.)

Oh, and I'm sorry for not providing the URL sooner. I didn't realize that that was what you wanted, and that you didn't understand which search page I was talking about (especially as the URL for this search page was specifically mentioned in post #157 by Rower_CPU).

Doctor Q
Mar 4, 2004, 05:08 PM
The word last does not appear if you are already on the last page of a thread. I think that is proper behavior.

MacBandit
Mar 4, 2004, 05:13 PM
Where is it?

Show us the rest of the page. It may be on the page but not within the window you are looking at here.

arn
Mar 4, 2004, 05:16 PM
Okay, here's a URL:

This is a search for all posts that I've made. (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=6652)

Thank You! :)

Like I said, I was just getting frustrated... and that limited screenshot without a url was like adding insult to injury...

Yes... you are correct... that page has no button. ;) I guess the best I can say is that page isn't meant to be used that way.

arn

Rower_CPU
Mar 4, 2004, 05:32 PM
Snowy-

Does the link (View First Unread at top of thread page) I mentioned in post #161 not work for you?

It's an extra click, but it looks like a likely candidate.

arn
Mar 4, 2004, 05:36 PM
Snowy-

Does the link (View First Unread at top of thread page) I mentioned in post #161 not work for you?

It's an extra click, but it looks like a likely candidate.

doesn't matter.... I added it to the page in question

arn

MacBandit
Mar 4, 2004, 06:19 PM

arn

Hehehe I guess that solves that. Good work Arn thanks again for all you do around here.

idkew
Mar 4, 2004, 06:22 PM

arn

yeah- thanks a lot arn. you make this place great!

please set up a new mug for us to buy. i have some money waiting for you, as long as i get some nerd thing in exchange.

Doctor Q
Mar 4, 2004, 07:41 PM
arn is so accommodating (despite all the time it must take, and the competing opinions around here) that I think we should all ask him to run out and grab us a pizza. No anchovies for me, please.

WM.
Mar 4, 2004, 11:00 PM
arn is so accommodating (despite all the time it must take, and the competing opinions around here) that I think we should all ask him to run out and grab us a pizza. No anchovies for me, please.
Yeah...but what about those registration dates??? ;) :D

Seriously, arn has to be one of the most devoted site owners/admins out there, at least as far as I've seen. Huge props!

WM

Snowy_River
Mar 5, 2004, 01:26 AM

arn

What can I say... Thank you, very much, Arn.

Squire
Mar 5, 2004, 03:56 AM
<sigh>

Sorry, arn. I guess I was the second 'Q' above, eh. ;) I found the button I was looking for. (screenshot below) Was it always there? Am I that blind? I didn't realize there were more "view first unread post" buttons. Great job, by the way.

Squire

XnavxeMiyyep
Mar 6, 2004, 02:27 PM
Yeah...but what about those registration dates??? ;) :D

Seriously, arn has to be one of the most devoted site owners/admins out there, at least as far as I've seen. Huge props!

WM
I also would like registration dates. Other than that, nice upgrade.

janey
Mar 10, 2004, 09:20 PM
i got that javascript popup thingie that lets you know when there's an unread private message, and when i click on "show in new window" it doesnt work. highly annyoying :(
using safari 1.2, 10.3, the usual.

Rower_CPU
Mar 10, 2004, 11:44 PM
i got that javascript popup thingie that lets you know when there's an unread private message, and when i click on "show in new window" it doesnt work. highly annyoying :(
using safari 1.2, 10.3, the usual.

Are you blocking pop-ups? Might be the cause...

Doctor Q
Mar 11, 2004, 12:20 AM
Yet another nitpick:

When you send a Private Message and click Submit Message, you get a JavaScript prompt asking "Request a read receipt for this message?" with choices Cancel and OK. It's confusing and misleading. Cancel sounds like it will cancel the message. Furthermore, you shouldn't have to go through a prompt like this for every message you send - it should be an checkbox under "Additional Options" instead.

King Cobra
Mar 13, 2004, 10:29 AM
That Javascript pop-up with: ~"Would you like to view your message in a new window?" [Yes - click] hasn't worked for me since v2 of the vB boards (for about a year, actually). And this was with Safari and 10.2. But big deal, I just click "No" so I can view the message in the same window.

Come to think about it, Rower might have a point about pop-up blocking...

arn's getting a bit hostile, huh? Well then, I'll take my plain pizza with red pepper...I hear that the Nanuet Hotel (in NY) has some quality pizza.

Doctor Q
Mar 13, 2004, 01:04 PM
If you are viewing a private message and you decide to delete it, you are supposed to check the Delete this Message checkbox and then click the Delete this Message button. Just to see, I tried leaving the checkbox unchecked. I would expect to get a pop-up or confirmation message of some kind, but instead I got a page saying
vBulletin Message

Invalid Private Message specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmasterThat doesn't say what the problem was, and people shouldn't be complaining to the webmaster about it in any case. Maybe you can set vBulletin to produce a more helpful response.

Snowy_River
Mar 29, 2004, 11:35 AM
Well, it seems that the changes aren't over yet. There are new graphics all over the place now.

Personally, I don't like the new multi-color smilies. And the 'roll eyes' smilie doesn't seem nearly as exasperated. I may have to make more use of my other smilie sources...

sethypoo
Mar 29, 2004, 12:01 PM
I wish we could go back to the smiley's from v. 2 of the boards. Those had style. I agree with Snowy_River, the new roll eyes smiley just doesn't look exasperated enough! :p and the tongue smiley looks happy in the wrong way.....lol.

szark
Mar 29, 2004, 12:28 PM
Interesting...I wonder if arn is being creative, or if the new graphics came for free with the upgrade from RC4 to Final (version of vBulletin).

I think I like the new smilies, but only time will tell.

I like the new graphics for the various links underneath our usernames. (offline/online, report post, etc.)

Snowy_River
Mar 29, 2004, 12:47 PM
We could always go with the iChat smilies. Like http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/cool.jpg, or http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/rolleyes.jpg. Then there's http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/money.jpg. Maybe I should just keep quite http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/zip.jpg.

Ah well... http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/angel.jpg http://www.ghwphoto.com/smilies/grin.jpg

MacRAND
Mar 29, 2004, 03:08 PM
I wish we could go back to the smiley's from v. 2 of the boards. Those had style.
I agree with Snowy_River, the new roll eyes smiley just doesn't look exasperated enough! :p and the
tongue smiley looks happy in the wrong way.....lol.Okay, sethypoo,
let's use your
WET tongue
smiley Cat ;)
http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=22478&dateline=1080458798
to lick up
MILK here :p
http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=5073&dateline=1080347372 and especially HERE! (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12622&stc=1)