Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
A month or so ago I had a major electronic melt-down at my home. First my Compaq Notebook totally failed, then a few days later my Dell system failed. The good thing was I bought a new 24" iMac. I am still short a notebook and was hopping that Apple will release a less expensive Netbook. If not I guess I will have to go with a MSI Wind or a Dell Mini 9. The rumors say a netbook is possible, but I am not holding my breath.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
No one knows, hence the rumors.

If they do, I don't expect it to be as cheap as people hope.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Its very unlikely, and if they did i doubt it will be in the near future (2 years or so) because they already have the Macbook Air, and i dont think they would lower their specs any lower than that, people moan about that enough already.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
A big let down, I thought there was a chance to replace my notebook with a Mac. Alas I will have to go with something else. I will wait until after MacWorld or should I wait until CES?

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
A big let down, I thought there was a chance to replace my notebook with a Mac. Alas I will have to go with something else. I will wait until after MacWorld or should I wait until CES?

wait until march 11, 2009 at 3:07pm!

no, seriously, no one can answer this. i don't believe, as others have said, that there will be a netbook. Steve Jobs specifically said he didn't know how he could make a quality apple quality for that cheap in his last keynote. if you need a laptop now, get one.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
wait until march 11, 2009 at 3:07pm!

no, seriously, no one can answer this. i don't believe, as others have said, that there will be a netbook. Steve Jobs specifically said he didn't know how he could make a quality apple quality for that cheap in his last keynote. if you need a laptop now, get one.

quote of truth.
As for wat to get, the AIR is PERFECT for what you want. Small yet still good. It is VERY good for travel or anything like that. The rev B feedback proves how awesome it is!

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
No, quite simply because:

*Steve Jobs said it in the question session after the Oct 14 event.

*There are already way too many new products scheduled, which are almost 100% certainly going to come out: a) iMac b) Mac Mini, c) 20&30 inch monitors, d) iPhone Nano.

*It would take away from the market of the Air

I don't even know why this is a rumor. It's just impossible.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Near future? Nope.

Far future? Say five years? Still nope.

aw man, you're quite good at killing hopes and dreams ;)

I would say yes, we probably won't get one in the next year or so. But 5 years? I doubt Apple would stay out of the fastest growing market in computing. 5 years ago I doubted Apple would make a cell phone too.

So really, we have no idea what will happen in the next couple of years. I am pretty certain there will be a netbook eventually. And I would also like to remind everyone that the Air is in a different segment than netbooks, so I would say making a netbook wouldn't eat into the Air's market share.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
aw man, you're quite good at killing hopes and dreams ;)

I would say yes, we probably won't get one in the next year or so. But 5 years? I doubt Apple would stay out of the fastest growing market in computing. 5 years ago I doubted Apple would make a cell phone too.

So really, we have no idea what will happen in the next couple of years. I am pretty certain there will be a netbook eventually. And I would also like to remind everyone that the Air is in a different segment than netbooks, so I would say making a netbook wouldn't eat into the Air's market share.

According to the online news today Intel and Via have new chips that are more powerful and are meant for the netbook market. The predictions is that netbooks will be growing faster than any other segment of the market. As a retired field tech I carried around a huge notebook computer and would have been elated in having a bright screen netbook. I think Apple will be making a huge error if they don't enter the market in one way or another.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
According to the online news today Intel and Via have new chips that are more powerful and are meant for the netbook market. The predictions is that netbooks will be growing faster than any other segment of the market. As a retired field tech I carried around a huge notebook computer and would have been elated in having a bright screen netbook. I think Apple will be making a huge error if they don't enter the market in one way or another.

yeah but in the near future (next year), I doubt Apple would get into this market because they don't know how to even make a netbook. One day, probably, but for now, not likely.

MarvWeide

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Who Needs a Mac Netbook!

As a long time Apple User (started with Apple ll) and current Mac genius I have come to the conclusion "Who Needs a Mac Netbook."

I got out my Asus EEE PC 701 and charged the battery and recalled why I spent $300 for the Asus. With the installed Linux I opened safari just as I would on my MacBook Pro. Almost every Program on my Mac has a free type installed on the Asus. The sd card on the Asus makes it real easy to load any
data I might want from the Mac to the Asus.

At $279 at BestBuy it is a real value. I probably would have spent $6-800 on a MacNetbook but since one was not announced it was only a "rumor.":(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.