Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mag2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
I already have a nikon d40x but want to upgrade but don't know if I will see a difference in pictures between the two. On the macbook I might need it for school but have a 24inch imac. Any input would be great!:D

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Will start by saying if you want a comparable Canon to the D40x then you would be looking at the XS, XSi, XTi models and not the 50D which is quite a jump up from those I just listed.

The first question would be, do you really need to upgrade either? What are you using the camera for? For many people the D40x could be more than sufficent for their needs. The macbook might be better for you so you can take it to class and possibly keep the iMac in the dorm for when you need a bigger screen or better typing position for papers.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I already have a nikon d40x but want to upgrade but don't know if I will see a difference in pictures between the two.

If you told us WHY you don't like the D40x we might be able to say if you'd like the other camera.

My opinion is that the difference between any two crop-sensor DSLRs is minor, even if one cost 3X what the other costs, it is still just "details" You gain little by swapping bodies. You have more to gain by adding a quality lens to your current system.

mag2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
If you told us WHY you don't like the D40x we might be able to say if you'd like the other camera.

My opinion is that the difference between any two crop-sensor DSLRs is minor, even if one cost 3X what the other costs, it is still just "details" You gain little by swapping bodies. You have more to gain by adding a quality lens to your current system.

I want a faster shutter speed but thought that canon would have better color than nikon. i also thought about the d90

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I want a faster shutter speed but thought that canon would have better color than nikon. i also thought about the d90

Faster than 1/4000 second? What are you shooting? I hope you mean frame-rate...

Better colour? If you're shooting in RAW, you can adjust to your heart's content and not worry about destruction of your images.

IMHO I think you're making the jump too many amateurs make far too soon. You think a semi-pro body will make your pictures that much better, when the fact that you won't use most of it's features makes it a waste of money. Invest in some good lenses, and just focus on improving your overall photography skills before deciding what you really need in a camera.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

As jhamerphoto said, you probably mean faster frame rate. What kinds of shots are you missing? If you're shooting moving subjects and are not able to capture exactly the right moment, then perhaps you do need a camera with faster fps. However, if you're shooting moving subjects, and they're coming out blurry, then what you need is a "faster" lens (i.e. one with a wider maximum aperture). Lenses generally offer more bang for the buck as upgrades to a camera system.

mag2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Yes I meant fps. I use it for family events like soccer games and football games for my nephews and nieces. If I decide to get another camera which is better d90, 40d, 50d, or d300 if I can afford it for what I am doing?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
In my view, a Canon XSi, or XTi is all you need, and if you want a step higher, then a 40D. The 40D, now that the 50D is out on the market can save you a lot of cash.

I don't know anything about the Nikon D40, but even the old Canon XT can be set for fast moving subject shooting, and the same feature should be available with the Nikon 40D. Yes, a fast lens is always good, but you should be able to set your camera so it tracks and maintains focus on a moving subject. With the XT series as well as the 40D I use, I set the ISO to Auto, then AI-Servo, burst mode (for multi shots), and center focus point. I use the center focus point to lock on a specific subject (one person, for example), and partially press and hold the shutter button for the AI-Servo to lock and maintain the focus on that subject while it moves around. At that point all I have to do is to press the shutter button further, and several photos are taken within a second.

I imagine that your D40 takes around 3 photos per second, and that should be fine if properly set to track and maintain focus on the subject. Faster speeds are nicer, but even some of the professional cameras out there take around 3 photos per second.

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
Yes I meant fps. I use it for family events like soccer games and football games for my nephews and nieces. If I decide to get another camera which is better d90, 40d, 50d, or d300 if I can afford it for what I am doing?

Forgive me for starting a rant, but looking at your signature...you are the type of guy that always has the latest and greatest, correct? Can I offer you that you have a perfectly good camera and the only justifiable upgrade might be a lens? Just because Nikon or Apple or Canon released it and it's new doesn't mean any of us need it. Yes, I can't keep my hands off the new aluminum Macbook/Pro when I walk into an Apple store but I have a perfectly good plastic MacBook 2.16 with 2 gigs of RAM and Tiger running on it. Yes, my back pocket warms up 120 degrees from my wallet when I walk in there, and yes I probably could afford to buy a new one right now, but do you know what the solution is? I DON'T WALK IN THAT STORE AS MUCH. It helps me appreciate what I already have.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
If you are money conscious, like most of us here probably are, esp. nowdays, definitely buy used. If the 50D is what you like then get the 40D. I had one and it is a really nice camera. Like someone else mentioned, you arent going to get a whole lot out of upgrading 1.6 bodies all the time imho. Once you step up to a 1.3 or a full frame camera like the 5D you will be blown away. You can pick a used 5D up now for $1200 bucks or so. If you look in the right places even lower.

Your new macbook is going to take quite a hit once you bring it home but it will give you some portability that you seem to be after. Does that portability really need to be a brand new mac?

If I were you, I would buy a used body and invest my money in glass. That way whenever you decide to get the latest and greatest body from canon you will have the glass to stick on the front.

good luck in your decision making process..it's tough sometimes

iamamac

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
I already have a nikon d40x but want to upgrade but don't know if I will see a difference in pictures between the two. On the macbook I might need it for school but have a 24inch imac. Any input would be great!:D

I would buy something that I don't have. In your case, a MACBOOK.
I`m happy with my Cybershot (I don't even know what cybershot I have, lol).

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
On the macbook I might need it for school but have a 24inch imac.

I found that I rarely took my Macbook to classes, it was more of a hassle than it was worth. I love that I have the ability to go portable but even now I've got my Macbook hooked up to a 20" monitor and an external keyboard/mouse a good 80-90% of the time.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
sell your 24'' imac, get a second hand macbook, buy glass.

if you're talking equipment, glass is the major difference maker. even if you get a better body, you will still want better glass!

mag2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Well I think I will hold off on buying another body and buy a nice lens instead. Thanks for all the help guys all input is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.