Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I just got the MBA 1.86 SSD and love it. At first I thought I had a good screen but upon closer inspection I can see the lines everyone is talking about. The lines on mine are very faint and I'm not sure if I would have even seen had it not been pointed out. Actually if I get extremely close, like just a few inches from the screen, I can't see them. I can only see them at about a foot away. Further than that they start to disappear as well. The lines on mine actually slant slightly downward from left to right. I can also see a bit of screen flicker with the test pattern.

What should I do? I really like this MBA but now every time I use it, I'm looking at the screen to see what I notice. I have a week 47, 9C9A. I'm wondering if the flickering and the lines could possibly be resolved with a different refresh rate via software update? I almost feel like the slight slant in the lines could be improper refresh rate or something related. I know someone had mentioned that external screen works perfectly so it's the screen. I'm not so sure I believe that as the MBA probably has different driver settings for external v. internal screen.

Should I return this or should I keep it? The other thing that complicates matters is that I got this from MacMall and they don't take returns I believe. It's basically under warranty from Apple and I'm not sure what Apple would do for me if I took it to them. Would they fix it or replace it?

Anyways please let me know if you have some advice.

Kan-O-Z

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
well, if macmall doesn't accept returns, then a return is obviously out of the question ain't it?

your only choice it seems is to either keep it or take it to an Apple store genius bar and see what they say. It's more likely they'll fix it then replace it, or they might also probably tell you it's within spec and not do anything about it.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
The lines on mine actually slant slightly downward from left to right. I can also see a bit of screen flicker with the test pattern.

What should I do? I really like this MBA but now every time I use it, I'm looking at the screen to see what I notice. I have a week 47, 9C9A. I'm wondering if the flickering and the lines could possibly be resolved with a different refresh rate via software update?

Even though I've seen the lines and the flicker myself, I didn't seem to get any eye strain or headaches from it. Fooling around with web browsing and such at the store it didn't really bother me. If I had a Macbook Air and it was really useful and enjoyable to use I'd probably just live with the lines and do a swap/fix if the issue gets resolved in the future. If it doesn't cause you any physical discomfort, and you enjoy your MBA otherwise, I'd say just keep the notebook.

I think somebody on one of those long horizontal lines threads mentioned that they could see the lines even on the bootup screen, so that seems to point more to a hardware problem than a software problem. But since nobody really knows the exact cause of the lines, we're all just guessing at this point.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Should I return this or should I keep it? The other thing that complicates matters is that I got this from MacMall and they don't take returns I believe. It's basically under warranty from Apple and I'm not sure what Apple would do for me if I took it to them. Would they fix it or replace it?

Anyways please let me know if you have some advice.

Kan-O-Z

Your only recourse is now through Apple, so take it in for a replacement.

I don't have the patience, nor the inclination, to handle a poorly made machine so I am going to sit on the sidelines until this issue is resolved.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Jude

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wait, you purchased a $2400 machine from a retailer who does not accept returns? :confused:

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I just wanted to to give you guys an update. I went to the Apple store to see what the other screens looked like. I saw the lines on both of them. On was a 1.86 SSD, screen was 9C9A. The other was a 1.6 HDD, screen was 9C90.

For those that haven't really experienced it, this lines issue is barely visible. People that aren't aware of it probably don't know it's there. For those that are aware of it, it's still kind of hard to see....but you can see it when you know what to look for. I definitely didn't see it in the MB or MBP at the store.

The genius bar is booked up for the next two days. I'm going to try to schedule something ASAP.

Kan-O-Z

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Wait, you purchased a $2400 machine from a retailer who does not accept returns? :confused:

Well...Macmall is actually a decent retailer...supposedly Apple's biggest retailer. The way they handle returns is that they have arranged an agreement with Apple that all problems are handled through Apple (this is what the representative at MacMall told me anyway). He did say however that if there is an obvious defect out of the box, they would probably just exchange it but the official policy is to go to Apple.

At $2339, free shipping, no tax and free printer and free Parallels 4.0....the deal seemed pretty good ;)

Kan-O-Z

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
1st its fine thin gray lines, now they say it bands, not just lines what is it?

... and the mocking continues :D

For the rest of us that need assistance on this forum:

Kan-O-Z, the problem with the genius' is if all floor models have lines, they don't know what to look for as was the case with mine. There was someone here that got a screen properly replaced but they had purchased 2 MBAa (good and bad one) to compare to.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
... and the mocking continues :D

For the rest of us that need assistance on this forum:

Kan-O-Z, the problem with the genius' is if all floor models have lines, they don't know what to look for as was the case with mine. There was someone here that got a screen properly replaced but they had purchased 2 MBAa (good and bad one) to compare to.

Yeah I wish there was an Air that had a perfect screen at the store. I was hoping the 1.6 was going to be better screen especially since it's a different screen 9C90.

This is one of those issues I don't know what to do about. Again it's not so bad and I would bet many people won't even see it....but then again it does bug me at the same time.

It doesn't seem like there are many good screens around. I might try out a different Apple store and see what I find. I'm beginning to think that I might just be able to see this on just about every MBA screen.

Maybe I should just wait it out till good screens become the norm and then take mine in for a screen replacement.

Kan-O-Z

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
Again it's not so bad and I would bet many people won't even see it....but then again it does bug me at the same time.

Go with your gut. You'll have to wait for inventory to clear out for new batches to come in and from what I've seen the percentage of AIR SSD buyers is a small fraction of total apple laptop sales.

After talking with Apple on the phone they are telling me that the Rev A screens are "incompatable" with the Rev B screens which rules out a possible swap that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.