PDA

View Full Version : Movable Type Install Tutorial

mnkeybsness
Feb 29, 2004, 04:50 PM
Because of popular demand, I decided that I am going to make a simple tutorial for installing Movable Type. (I have received about 4 different PMs asking for help and one user actually asked for help over IM). I'm going t use pictures and easy to follow instructions, unlike the MT install documentation. I will also be cutting it down and using only the steps that are really necessary because almost every server has Perl and allows CGI scripts.

I want some feedback though, as there are two different basic server setups as I have found. One setup has a separate directory that all CGI scripts need to be in to work, and the other is just one directory that everything can be run from. Should I write instructions for one over the other, or both, like a "choose your own adventure"?

The other question is along those lines... Should I include all of the steps in a "choose your own adventure" style. Such a way of doing this would be for me to have the first page ask a question of how the server is set up, by looking to see if there is a cgi-bin directory or not and then finding out what type of database support and so on.

Thoughts, comments?

PS- If you need help installing, please don't contact me for the time being, as I have a lot of school work and other projects on my hands that I need to concentrate on. I will let everyone know when the tutorial/instructions are up on my site.

Benjamin
Feb 29, 2004, 07:53 PM
wow... ppl need help installing MT.. wow.. ok sorry I just found it 2 min install when i installed it... anyway..

this is a great thing, you should do it adventure style since MT offers tons of options not just with database management, after your done with it, you should submit it to MTs creators.

RedDevil
Mar 10, 2004, 12:50 PM
Hey Paul. I for one would appreciate an install tutorial. I'm new to the whole web design thing but I'm intent on giving this moveable type thingy a try and ur tutorial would be awsome. I think the one with a sep CGI directory is what i'm looking for.

I've read the install instructions but it hasnt set in yet (nothing makes sense) :D

Thanks...