PDA

View Full Version : 600,000 Job Losses Predicted for Great Britain in '09

Unspeaked
Dec 30, 2008, 03:24 AM
Job losses worst for nearly 20 years...

LINK (http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKTRE4BS1UE20081229)

600,000 jobs could go in 2009

By Kate Kelland

LONDON (Reuters) - As many as 600,000 people could lose their jobs in Britain next year, making 2009 the worst year for unemployment since 1991, personnel experts warned on Monday.

The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) said a widely-expected recession would bite hard in Britain next year and could push unemployment close to the three million mark before the economy begins to recover.

"By the end of 2009 the number of people unemployed and actively seeking work will have increased to 2.8 million, one million above the autumn 2008 figure," John Philpott, the CIPD's chief economist, said in its annual Barometer Report...

scotthayes
Dec 30, 2008, 04:48 AM
What those figures don't show is.

1) how many of those job losses will be part time jobs.

2) what the employment rate is now.

I believe a lot of them will be part time jobs (less than 24 hours a week) as our economy is much more service based than manufacturing based like it was durning the 1991-2 and 1981-83 recessions.

We will get close to 3 million unemployed but the percentage of unemployment won't be as high as it was in the last recessions.

garybUK
Dec 30, 2008, 05:46 AM
I agree above, the majority will come from some high street stores closing.

I hope to see some reversal of the trend of off shoring jobs to India. I always said what's the point in off shoring jobs if no one in this country has jobs to pay for the services? bring it all back and protect our own people!!

trule
Dec 30, 2008, 05:55 AM
I agree above, the majority will come from some high street stores closing.

I hope to see some reversal of the trend of off shoring jobs to India. I always said what's the point in off shoring jobs if no one in this country has jobs to pay for the services? bring it all back and protect our own people!!

Related to this perhaps, an Australian bank recently commented that an Indian worker costs half that of an Australian worker. I'm sure that 10 years back an Indian worker would have cost a quarter to that of an Australian worker, or even less.

So it could even be that off shoring jobs is a fad that is coming to its end. There comes a point where its not worth the hassle, risk and customer relations problems...

Dagless
Dec 30, 2008, 06:46 AM
Thank god I've got a job lined up for me outside the UK.

edesignuk
Dec 30, 2008, 06:48 AM
Thank god I've got a job lined up for me outside the UK.While that's great for you an all, I don't think there are many places where good jobs aren't going down the pan, this is far from a UK only problem.

iGav
Dec 30, 2008, 09:23 AM
If anything, I think that sounds a little on the conservative side.

That said, our economy desperately needs the economic correction that a recession inevitably brings, because the government have demonstrated nothing other than a complete inability to rein things in.

Even now, it is completely and utterly incomprehensible how so called experts, economists, industry leaders.... the chancellor can still feign surprise at the economic crisis we now find ourselves in.

weckart
Dec 30, 2008, 02:51 PM
Blame the voters. In any opinion poll you care to name they demand increased services, the latest drugs, more policemen on the beat etc AND fewer (stealth) taxes. Until some political alchemist really can turn natural science on its head you will continue to get the political leaders you deserve.