Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
I've been doing some searching and Googling and can't really find out if this is likely to happen or not. I know Apple are going towards LED screens but a 20" will be quite expensive to make if I'm thinking right and for a "consumer" product they might leave it. It's not like it's going to give the iMac a better battery or anything is it haha.

What are your thoughts?

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
LED backlights aren't just for power ... they also offer localised blackout so you get much better contrast ratios .... i would think any new imac would have LED backlights

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Outside of the recent iPhone Nano rumors, Macworld is likely to be a very Mac-centric event:

(1) Redesigned Mac Mini
(2) Updates to iMac and Mac Pro
(3) Snow Leopard Preview
(4) 20" & 30" LED screens

The only thing we haven't heard about is a new iLife/iWork which is really needed.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
There is already a LED screen. And the new mini will be able to use it.

I don't think they will ship a 20" screen, but maybe a 30" screen, if they update the towers too.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
There is already a LED screen. And the new mini will be able to use it.

I don't think they will ship a 20" screen, but maybe a 30" screen, if they update the towers too.

Apple would hate money if there is no 20-inch display. I don't know a single person who has a 24-inch display. Nooobody. I'm looking at getting one (when money grows on trees), but I'm looking at a $450 Samsung that has an HD tuner built in. I still don't get Apple's pricing matrix because it doesn't look $450 better than the Samsung.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Apple would hate money if there is no 20-inch display. I don't know a single person who has a 24-inch display. Nooobody. I'm looking at getting one (when money grows on trees), but I'm looking at a $450 Samsung that has an HD tuner built in. I still don't get Apple's pricing matrix because it doesn't look $450 better than the Samsung.

Well 20" seems a bit small by today's standards. The average display I see selling is 22". Apple's displays will never cost the same as the Samsung ones. H-IPS, LED backlit, Magsafe connector, iSight + mic. I see possibly a 22" for $599, but I doubt they'll keep the 20" and I highly doubt they'll price any of their displays under $500.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008

24 inch screens are getting cheaper all the time. You can already get TN panel based models for 300€ and S-PVA or H-IPS for under 600€. The truly great ones for professional graphics work are still around 900€ though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple actually dropped the 20" model altogether or replaced it with a 22" one. One can only hope they don't combine LED backlight with TN panel ****.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
24" LED is already available. The other two have to be coming.

For the MacBooks, not for the Mac Pro.

They could still produce another 24" display, seeing as they are yet to produce DVI to DisplayPort adapters..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.