Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I recently purchased a BenQ G2400WD 24" 1920x1200 monitor, for use with my May 2007 GMA 950 2.0Ghz. Macbook.

Upon receiving the monitor, I immediately plugged it in to my Macbook, using the Mini-DV to VGA adaptor I already had, for use with projectors. The monitor was good, but a bit blurry and not too sharp, due to the analog signal. So I ordered a Mini-DVI to DVI adaptor. When it arrived, the improved picture quality was immediately apparent.

However, as time went on, I noticed my wireless connectivity was getting terrible. Extremely slow Safari page load times, and upon going to Terminal and pinging my router, I would often get response times of 21000 milliseconds, or worse! I did a lot of research, on router firmware, on wireless connectivity, etc., but to no prevail. Then, on a whim, while continually pinging my router, I removed the DVI adaptor from my monitor. The ping instantly dropped from tens of full seconds to just a stable 0.4 milliseconds! Using my VGA connection resulted in no worse wireless connectivity than without it, but upon plugging in DVI and stressing the connection a bit (i.e. downloading a large file), the connection went bonkers. The pings also immediately jump from 0.4 milliseconds to a range of 1-4 milliseconds, regardless of any "stressing".

I have done numerous research, including both here and on Apple discussion forums. It appears this problem with DVI connection is fairly common, but with no resolution so far. Any help would be great

A few important notes:
-Both ends of both my VGA cable and my DVI cable are shielded.
-I have tried numerous channel changes of my router, to no prevail.
-While using DVI, EVERYTHING works well except the wireless. So the monitor isn't too demanding for my computer.

And I hope my thorough post didn't scare you away! :eek:

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I was afraid no one would know. I guess I'll ask around on the Apple discussion forums and go to the Apple Genius bar. It's just so hard to transport my monitor to the Apple store, and I don't know if Apple will have any 24" monitors for easy use available there.

4tonmantis

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
yo!

did you ever figure this one out?

I have a 2.5GHz Core Duo with 4GB ram and this crap happens to me. I'm so pissed that i can't use a second monitor and wireless at the same time.

if you came across a solution, please let me know!

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
are you closing your laptop? I have a mbp and if I close the laptop and use it w a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, i get bad wifi reception. If i open the laptop, it gets better again.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
The problem may lie with your cable. Does it have any "bumps" on them (I know the OP stated that they are shielded, just confirming with the previous poster)? You can actually receive radio through video cables, should they not have these "bumps." Doubt you're still viewing this thread, but as someone else needs it...

To explain better, do you see those large items on the cable itself?

smckfee

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
I recently purchased a BenQ G2400WD 24" 1920x1200 monitor, for use with my May 2007 GMA 950 2.0Ghz. Macbook.

Upon receiving the monitor, I immediately plugged it in to my Macbook, using the Mini-DV to VGA adaptor I already had, for use with projectors. The monitor was good, but a bit blurry and not too sharp, due to the analog signal. So I ordered a Mini-DVI to DVI adaptor. When it arrived, the improved picture quality was immediately apparent.

I know this is going back a bit, but I just wondered if you have ever figured out what was happening, and/or have managed to get stable wifi with digital video out? I have exactly the same problem, could hardly believe it when I realised what was happening, and was even more amazed to see my issue wasn't unique.

Any ideas and/or resolutions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.