PDA

View Full Version : mp3 encoding on iphone?

dbredesen
Dec 30, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

AudioConverter and Core Audio support MP3 to linear PCM, but apparently there's no way to encode MP3 from linear PCM.

Does anyone know of a way to encode MP3 on the iPhone, maybe a 3rd party framework? I'm surprised that Fraunhofer or Lame encoder haven't been ported to objective-C / iPhone SDK yet.

Much appreciated,
Dave

newb16
Jan 2, 2009, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know of a way to encode MP3 on the iPhone, maybe a 3rd party framework? I'm surprised that Fraunhofer or Lame encoder haven't been ported to objective-C / iPhone SDK yet.

At least Lame is ported to mac os X without mentioning specific ( 386 or ppc) architecture, so I would try stuff new iphone project with all the files from mac os x project and try to build it.

firewood
Jan 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
Be aware that Apple may require you to have acquired proper rights and licenses for any IP (encoder patents, etc.) which you include in an app submitted to the App store.

dbredesen
Jan 4, 2009, 01:43 PM
I researched futher, and it turns out that indeed any app sold on AppStore would require mp3 licensing through Thomson (www.mp3licensing.org).

--d

vincenso
May 15, 2009, 07:55 AM
I researched futher, and it turns out that indeed any app sold on AppStore would require mp3 licensing through Thomson (www.mp3licensing.org).

--d

where did you get this info?