Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkrose09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hey Everyone!
I'm looking to buy a Mac book or possibly Mac book Pro to use as my personal laptop for school (final year) and am not sure whether to wait for the Snow Leopard system.
I was hoping to get it some time in January because I would need to use it throughout the year.
I heard that Snow Leopard may be coming out around March and June...not sure.
Anyway I know no one knows for sure yet but is there going to be major differences and should I wait for Snow Leopard. Also if I dont will I be able to up date and get it if I need to when it comes out.

Any advance would be much appreciated!
Thanks in Advance,
Nat.

DPA

macrumors 65816
If you really want a new one go out and buy one now. The MacBooks have just been updated so they won't get a MacWorld update. Snow Leopard should be out in quarter 1 of 2009 and probably won't ship on them until a month later. When I bought my iMac, 2 months after Leopard was released, it had the Leopard update disc in the box but still had Tiger on the machine and on the picture on the box.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hey Everyone!
I'm looking to buy a Mac book or possibly Mac book Pro to use as my personal laptop for school (final year) and am not sure whether to wait for the Snow Leopard system.
I was hoping to get it some time in January because I would need to use it throughout the year.
I heard that Snow Leopard may be coming out around March and June...not sure.
Anyway I know no one knows for sure yet but is there going to be major differences and should I wait for Snow Leopard. Also if I dont will I be able to up date and get it if I need to when it comes out.

Any advance would be much appreciated!
Thanks in Advance,
Nat.

If you do not need your MacBook now, then yes, you can wait. However, we honestly don't know when Snow Leopard will be released, we guesstimate only. Guesstimate puts it around WWDC'09.

However, it seems that its more likely that the internals of the MacBook get updated before OS X 10.6 comes out.

Advice: If you need it, buy it now. If you don't need it, wait till next MacBook refresh or until Snow Leo does come out.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Not really Neccesarry

I would think that they only issue a small update to the Macbook , considering the just released that HUGE update :apple: !!
So If you are unhappy with what you have now, get a macbook and i would only guess for a little CPU/RAM bump nothing really to be too exited about before OSx 10.6 comes out, To be really sure ask Steve J. ;) :apple: :apple: :apple:

pophardpunk

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i too was going to wait for snow leopard but i couldn't do it!

osx now has everything you need. i looked on that website and it didn't have anything that i really needed.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
you might as well buy your macbook now. you can get a student upgrade usually for 70 bucks.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
If you're worried about an update, and tell yourself to wait, you'll be waiting forever, and I'm being serious.

Technology is always expanding, and regardless of when you buy your new MacBook, I guarantee you that in about six months, it won't be top-of-the-line.

Someone who isn't going to do much with their notebook also won't see the significant improvement with Snow Leopard I assume, so if you like Leopard, then stick with that for a while.

pinkrose09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Thank you so much for all the advice :)
I think I won't bother waiting, like Harmless Abuse said then I will be waiting around for ages.
I didn't wait with my iphone and I'm really happy to have it. I can always update if I feel the need.
Thanks again everyone!

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland
Just buy it now and you'll definitely love it when you have it on your hand. Snow Leopard isn't going to be a very big upgrade...so yeah.

pinkrose09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for that Solemony! Im hopefully getting it really soon and cannot wait =)

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Just buy it now and you'll definitely love it when you have it on your hand. Snow Leopard isn't going to be a very big upgrade...so yeah.

i beg to differ, openCL and Grand Central is big performance wise.
however i would not wait for it .. :)

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I'd buy the laptop when you need it, and not worry about SL. The important thing will be the applications on your laptop for your classes. I'd buy sooner rather than later, so you get everything in a routine so you can focus on your classes and not needing to fiddle with preferences on a new machine.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
You should look in to getting an ADC Student membership.

You get a "substantial" saving on one mac, and monthly mailings. That has included Tiger and Leopard, and will most likely include Snow Leopard.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
I would get it right now.
There's no promise of Snow Leopard coming out anytime soon.
However, it is possible that a cheaper MacBook may be announced at MacWorld.
Also, Snow Leopard doesn't have that many new features, they're mainly "under the hood" tweaks...

pinkrose09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for that. I'm in aus so I'm not sure if they have the ADC Student membership. I think I'll wait and see what is announced at Mac World, after all its only a few days and probably get it so time this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.