Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
So this is my first Macbook, had it a week and loving it! But, still trying to get used to some things and so my first question is in regards to TimeMachine. I want to have a backup just in case I ever have problems, but when I go to setup TimeMachine and TimeCapsule, it scans for a wireless device (Im assuming an external hard drive to back up to?) and doesnt find one, so I cant set it up. Doesnt Mac have the option to backup directly to the internal HD? And how do I do that if it wont let me turn on TimeMachine? Can someone explain this to me and tell me how I can schedule backups? Thanks!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Doesnt Mac have the option to backup directly to the internal HD?
If you have a Mac Pro with separate internal drives, I think you can do that.

If your Mac only has one internal drive, then you'd need either an external USB/firewire drive or the wireless Time Capsule device that Apple sells.

Once you get Time Machine setup, you don't have to schedule anything. As long as your external drive is plugged in (or your machine has access to the wireless Time Capsule), OS X will backup hourly any files that have changed since the last backup.

Time Machine is an awesome feature! :)

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
If you have a Mac Pro with separate internal drives, I think you can do that.

If your Mac only has one internal drive, then you'd need either an external USB/firewire drive or the wireless Time Capsule device that Apple sells.

Once you get Time Machine setup, you don't have to schedule anything. As long as your external drive is plugged in (or your machine has access to the wireless Time Capsule), OS X will backup hourly any files that have changed since the last backup.

Time Machine is an awesome feature! :)

Ok, that was my answer thanks. I went looking through the Apple website, but I couldnt understand it LOL I dont have a MobileMe account and only have a basic MB, so I wasnt aware that I couldnt backup to the internal HD like Windows does. Guess I'll have to invest in a TimeCapsule eventually.

Edit: OUCH! I just looked at the prices for those things! I cant afford to spend several hundred dollars right now for a backup device. I dont want something hooked into my laptop either since it is portable and I move it around a lot. Can someone recommend the cheapest, easiest way to backup then? Is MobileMe going to be the cheapest?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Ok, that was my answer thanks. I went looking through the Apple website, but I couldnt understand it LOL I dont have a MobileMe account and only have a basic MB, so I wasnt aware that I couldnt backup to the internal HD like Windows does. Guess I'll have to invest in a TimeCapsule eventually.
The Time Capsule is pretty cool (I love wireless backups), but all you really need to get going with Time Machine is an external hard drive. Those are pretty cheap (Target, Walmart), if you don't already have one laying around.

The thing about backing up to the internal HD is that if that HD crashes, you lose your original data + backups. I think that's why Apple insists that the backups go on a physically different HD. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.