Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Noobie question- Will a Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz with 1GB RAM run Leopard totally fine, or would Tiger run more smoothly? I'm concerned Leopard may bog down the older architecture somehow I'll mostly be running Pro Tools LE for smallish music sessions.

I will be getting another 1 GB stick of RAM to max it out.

Mighuel

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Finland
I'd have to say Leopard. It's considerably more advanced OS than Tiger and it should run fine with your machine. Especially when you add more RAM as dukebound said.

FrankieP

macrumors newbie
Definitely add the RAM.. I've the same system and upgraded to Leopard awhile back and it's sluggish with just the lone Gig. The Leopard though is great.. I didn't upgrade right away as my partner was getting a MacBook and I wanted to see Leopard on his first, and now that I have it I do prefer it to Tiger. Am right now doing a clean install though due to my teeny HD being full and due a spring clean, am hoping it'll perform better afterwards.

How's your Powerbook with overheating, btw?

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
What is the maximum ram on this model? Fro some reason, I thought it was 1.25

That is limited to the 12" PowerBooks because they have a 256MB module soldered onto the logic board. The 15" and 17" PowerBooks have two RAM slots that can hold 1GB a piece.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
I'd have to say Leopard. It's considerably more advanced OS than Tiger

How do you figure? In what ways?

I'd go with the latest version of Tiger... 10.4.11. It's still supported by 99% of new software, and Leopard will slow your computer down. It definitely was not optimized for PowerPCs.

Personally I prefer the look/feel of Tiger as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.