Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benATthelocust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I have recently come into possession of a Twentieth Anniversary Mac. It is complete and apparently undamaged. I connected it all up, plugged it in, and I get the "welcome" sound, and then nothing happens. The hard drive spins up (I can hear it), but the green light on the monitor does not light, nor with the screen light up. The green light on the subwoofer is on, but alas, the thing doesn't want to boot. We just so happened to have a "known-good" TAM here in the office, and I tried it's PRAM battery and memory to no avail. I've also pressed the CUDA reset button, and no love. What else can I do?

Goggles

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
I had a similar problem with a TAM recently after I upgraded it CPU to a G3. It powered on, but nothing happened after that. Disconnect the PRAM battery from the logic board and remove power (ie. unplug the sub from the wall) for at least 48 hours. Resets the power manager. Should be good to go after that. That's what I did to get mine going again anyways.

Cheers,
Goggles

benATthelocust said:
I have recently come into possession of a Twentieth Anniversary Mac. It is complete and apparently undamaged. I connected it all up, plugged it in, and I get the "welcome" sound, and then nothing happens. The hard drive spins up (I can hear it), but the green light on the monitor does not light, nor with the screen light up. The green light on the subwoofer is on, but alas, the thing doesn't want to boot. We just so happened to have a "known-good" TAM here in the office, and I tried it's PRAM battery and memory to no avail. I've also pressed the CUDA reset button, and no love. What else can I do?

benATthelocust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Goggles said:
I had a similar problem with a TAM recently after I upgraded it CPU to a G3. It powered on, but nothing happened after that. Disconnect the PRAM battery from the logic board and remove power (ie. unplug the sub from the wall) for at least 48 hours. Resets the power manager. Should be good to go after that. That's what I did to get mine going again anyways.

Cheers,
Goggles

Hmm.. I thought the CUDA reset button would reset the power manager -- and I did do that to get at least a response from hitting the power button. I get the feeling maybe the display has gone out. Not sure yet.

Goggles

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
No, I very much doubt your display is defective. Your machine is exhibiting the exact same signs that mine did. And pressing the CUDA switch on mine did the exact same thing as yours. Power, but no display or anything else for that matter. At times I thought I heard the hard disk chugging as if it were doing something but nothing ever happened. Disconnect the PRAM battery and let the machine sit for a few days. Seriously, that's what fixed mine.

Cheers,
Goggles

benATthelocust said:
Hmm.. I thought the CUDA reset button would reset the power manager -- and I did do that to get at least a response from hitting the power button. I get the feeling maybe the display has gone out. Not sure yet.

benATthelocust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Goggles said:
No, I very much doubt your display is defective. Your machine is exhibiting the exact same signs that mine did. And pressing the CUDA switch on mine did the exact same thing as yours. Power, but no display or anything else for that matter. At times I thought I heard the hard disk chugging as if it were doing something but nothing ever happened. Disconnect the PRAM battery and let the machine sit for a few days. Seriously, that's what fixed mine.

Cheers,
Goggles

Ah! I didn't realize you had also did the CUDA tango -- I'll let you know what happens in 48 hours :) Thanks!

benATthelocust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
benATthelocust said:
Ah! I didn't realize you had also did the CUDA tango -- I'll let you know what happens in 48 hours :) Thanks!

Well, hot damn! That actually worked. I had another tip from a Mac junkie here at work to hold the CUDA button down while pressing the power button a couple of times to expediate the process of draining the capacitors (which is what the unplugging from wall / unplugging PRAM battery is supposed to do).

Did that for about 30 seconds, plugged everything back up and voila! Power on! Boot up! Thanks a bunch!

d1msumboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2005
TAM with power-up/boot problem

I'm having the same problem. I've tried resetting it by following the instructions above, but with no success. The battery on t he TAM is quite different from any of the other macs I've owned. Are there any instructions on how to remove it? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.