Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mako5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
I am on vacation at a ski resort. My Macbook would not reawaken from sleep mode so I held the power button down to do a cold start. Now all I get is the logo and spinning gear. I searched the forums and the apple website and I have tried to reset the PRAM and restarted in Safe Boot. Still the same.

I do not have my Install disc with me and I don't think there is a Apple Store anywhere near by. Is there anything I can do? It is going to be a long week if I cannot get this going.

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Unplug your macbook, remove the battery, hold the power button for 10 seconds, insert the battery, plug it in, turn it on.. if that doesn't work then i suggest you wait until you get back, and try any diagnostics w/ the cd's that came with the macbook

Mako5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Thanks I am going to try that now. *Edit* Shucks, that did not work, sigh.

Mako5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Yikes. Unfortunately the closest one is off the mountain. May have to. Any other good ideas?

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Relax and Enjoy your ski trip... then go down to an Apple Store and they will definitely help you :) I mean come on your on Vacation Stop worrying for the moment :D

Mako5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Sigh I know. I just feel so disconnected. After dinner we all sit around with our laptops browsing the web and chatting. Its funny how the Internet is so much a part of our lives. Well at least we have Bowl games tonight.

Mako5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
In the end ...

Ok, just to close out this post. I called Apple support and they suggested I use the command line mode fsck -fy (File System Check). Unfortunately my buddy already tried that and it did not work. It did give an error code that, according to a Search, indicated that I had a VMware problem. I do not have VMware so that is not it. So two nights ago after skiing, my buddy and I drove 45 min. down to Salt Lake City, the the only Apple Store in Utah. The tech at the Genius bar tried to Verify and Recover the disk,no luck. Then he tried the archive and install. He told us to go to dinner. When we got back, lo and behold a new Macbook was opened up next to mine and he was transferring my files over. He told me that he thought it may be a HD failing. Unfortunately the bad news is that he could not get all the files over before the store closed so I needed to come back the next day. Sigh. Fortunately I had to drop off someone at the airport the next day. Unfortunately we need to be at there at 5am so I ended up napping for three hours in the mall parking lot. Anyways I got a new Macbook and am back in business. Warning: They forgot to transfer my 2GB memory upgrade. Good thing I checked when I picked it up. Also I lost my BSE wrist rest protectors. But the upside is I got an extra AC adapter! Bottom line. An Apple logo with an endless gear is not a good thing.

One question. I wonder what he used to transfer my files over. It did a great job! Everything came over. I did need to update to OSX 10.5.6 + all other updates so it did not seem to touch the System files,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.