Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a Computerworld blog entry, Seth Weintraub of 9to5Mac follows up on yesterday's rumor of iWork becoming a suite of web-based applications with a new report regarding a similar update to iMovie due at Macworld next week.

Weintraub specifically points to several benefits of integrating iMovie into MobileMe's "cloud":

iMovie in the Cloud would also offer users the ability to easily view their movies on iPod Touches or iPhones. If the application is entirely Web based, it means that potential customers include the "other 90%" of users who use Windows.

The release of iMovie '08 in August 2007 received a number of complaints that ultimately resulted in Apple offering purchasers of iLife '08 the ability to download the previous version, iMovie HD 6, free of charge.

Weintraub seems uncertain if this move means that iMovie (or iWork) will become a web application only or if the "cloud" component is simply an add-on to the native Mac versions. From a practical standpoint, it would seem that for high definition video, the Mac version would remain as it currently is.

Article Link: iMovie to Receive Update and Move Online?

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
If iWork is going into the cloud and now iMovie it would be safe to assume that the whole iLife suite will be in the cloud too. I wonder if this is a precursor to a stripped down new mini for accessing it.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
They can barely get web-based e-mail and calendars right....I can see a web based iMovie sucking really, really hard.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
more likely the stripped down netbook/tablet. Surely this is what Snow Leopard is really about, getting os x onto light, low power devices that can access the web

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Interesting....I'm not sure I would use iMovie in "the cloud"...doesn't seem like it would be as fast as an actual desktop application. But if iPhoto was there, I would use that. Is it even possible to have a way to import photos from a camera to a webapp?

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
the problem is if theyre serious about online movie editing they'd basically have to give every editor theyre own dedicated quad core server, not to mention bandwith and so on, i think the idea of iwork in the cloud is great but imovie, hmmm :rolleyes:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
whoa... that would require immense server processing and hdd storage if it were all in the cloud!

Not to mention on our side, do we really want to upload GB's of video data?

By the way, if 9to5Mac is correct and this is where Apple is going with iLife in the future — what's the point of owning a Mac?

If I can get all of Apple's applications on Windows, I might pick up that $1000 Dell with Quad-core processors instead of an iMac.

The iLife suite has always been the biggest selling point for me. So much so, I returned to Mac in 2002 because of it (iDVD).

I understood iTunes for PC. However, this doesn't make much sense unless Apple is transitioning into a "services" company.

kid rock

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
all well and good until your net connection goes, not a good idea unless they still release a normal iLife09 you can install and use locally

I could see them having a web based "portion" of iLife/iWork but not all online, considering some people can only get 512-kb broadband in the UK

metroid87706

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
New Baltimore, MI
No No No No No NO! When I upload videos, I don't want to wait for 2GB+ files to upload. Are they out of their mind to even think of making this? I know its a rumor, but still.... whoever made that one up has got to be really stupid, no offense.

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
This rumor is too ridiculous. I don't believe this or the iWork online rumor any more.

But if it was true...

By the way, if 9to5Mac is correct and this is where Apple is going with iLife in the future — what's the point of owning a Mac?

Maybe that's the point. What if they're planning on getting out of computer hardware? What if they dropped OS X as well?

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow

If I can get all of Apple's applications on Windows, I might pick up that $1000 Dell with Quad-core processors instead of an iMac.

The iLife suite has always been the biggest selling point for me. So much so, I returned to Mac in 2002 because of it (iDVD).

I understood iTunes for PC. However, this doesn't make much sense unless Apple is transitioning into a "services" company.

I agree with what you say.

In addition, it would become incredibly hard for students like myself who carry out work in different locations and not necessarily having free wifi access. If Apple go down this route, I think theres going to be trouble - not for myself but their brand.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
When our net speeds increase, then we can talk about editing movies in a web-based App.

I'm sorry but this is PRE-mature to do at this point in time, the ISP's need to seriously boost bandwidth for this to work.

And, Apple needs to learn how to release software without making people involuntary beta testers (MobileMe didn't start out so good).

Apple, get your heads out of your rich asses if this is true. Not everybody thinks every direction u take is the right one, everyones got a right to voice an opinion, and for once in a blue moon, I not only disagree with this, but I'm angered by all this web-based talk at THIS point in time.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
They did...iMovie HD 6 is a free download for iMovie '08 users. Just search it up on google, and download it.

Oh ok then :D

would you use photoshop.com over photoshop? iMovie cloud version will probably be very very scaled down.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
MobileMe

iWeb already effortlessly uploads to a folder in MobileMe's iDisk.
iPhoto already sends it's content to the special Gallery section on MobileMe's iDisk.
iTunes already syncs over the cloud.

iPhone data plan is unlimited (sorry I am not an ATT user so I dont know for sure).

sorry, but what's the big deal?

speed of network is the limiting factor and has been and will be the problem for the next 5 years for service providers. but WI-FI is there, so whats the problem?

the iPhone platform is the perfect device for cloud computing.

browser based platform.

iWork being integrated into the cloud doesnt prevent you from using it on a stationery mac.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Good point. Apple tries to push certain services, and they use the popularity of the iPhone to nail it into the reality-distortion field and get people to follow their direction.

At one point u gotta stop for a second, and wonder, why am I following them?

If this is their direction like I said above, i'll be very disappointed.

EDIT-The poster above did mention cloud computing, BUT I'd like to have the option of a desktop editing system, I think cloud computing helps with iPhone big time though.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Because they didn't screw it up enough when they went from HD to '08?

No, this simply is not happening.

I don't want Apple screwing around with building iMovie from scratch again. I want them to build on what they've got in '08 and give me app of the quality that iMovie HD was (because I do think the stuff they've done in '08 is cool if you think of it as an all new product. Just... when you compare it to HD... HD offered so much finer controls and a lot more effects even if it was a lot slower.)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i really don't see how this would work and actually work correctly. imovie would be the most intensive ilife app, and the one that uses the most data storage. i just don't see myself putting my 1080P videos on my mobile me and actually editing them online.

tobyx

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Have fun uploading 28 GB of home movie footage to MobileMe servers. See you in 2011 when the upload has finished.

Rumor is fake.

Unless we go back from HD to thumbnail-sized 5 fps movies. Yeah right :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.