PDA

View Full Version : Can't adjust volume with headphones plugged in?

BrendonS
Jan 1, 2009, 11:56 AM
Is it just me or...

When I have headphones plugged in, and my Macbook's volume is too loud / too quiet, when I try to adjust the volume it won't let me!

Even if I only have like, 3 bars of volume on (out of the bunch that come up when you press the adjustment buttons)... when I try to make it louder it shows that all the boxes are full and there's a little "no smoking sign"-type-thing underneath the picture of the little audio waves.

Has this happened to anyone else?

By the way if I unplug my headphones I can adjust the volume again but it just seems weird.

PS - Also, if I try to use a headphone splitter with two sets of headphones plugged in, the same thing happens. Isn't there supposed to be two headphone jacks on a Macbook because only one of them works for me? :confused:

MasterNile
Jan 1, 2009, 12:09 PM
Is it just me or...

When I have headphones plugged in, and my Macbook's volume is too loud / too quiet, when I try to adjust the volume it won't let me!

Even if I only have like, 3 bars of volume on (out of the bunch that come up when you press the adjustment buttons)... when I try to make it louder it shows that all the boxes are full and there's a little "no smoking sign"-type-thing underneath the picture of the little audio waves.

Has this happened to anyone else?

By the way if I unplug my headphones I can adjust the volume again but it just seems weird.

PS - Also, if I try to use a headphone splitter with two sets of headphones plugged in, the same thing happens. Isn't there supposed to be two headphone jacks on a Macbook because only one of them works for me? :confused:

Well the macbook remembers the volume on when you have headphones/speakers plugged in and when you don't, do your headphones have a separate volume control on them? Maybe the MB volume is maxed but your headphones volume is turned down. But I really don't know what you mean "Isn't there supposed to be two headphone jacks on a Macbook"....no there's one headphone jack and one audio-in jack for a mic.

BrendonS
Jan 1, 2009, 12:32 PM
oh sorry you're right

i've heard of being able to convert it somehow but in any case :D

no... headphones don't have their own volume adjustment thingy

they're pretty good ones too... i bought them from the sony store for $80 last year....

The volume isn't maxed out though when it says it is.... I'll just have to adjust the volume before plugging the headphones in i guess :P

OttawaGuy
Jan 1, 2009, 12:37 PM
Most sound applications (itunes) have their own volume control aside from the master/global system volume control.

Both must be adjusted to get the full range of volume.