PDA

View Full Version : Listen, you'll hear the future

wdlove
Mar 1, 2004, 02:30 PM
It's been 101 years since Guglielmo Marconi made this country's first trans-Atlantic radio broadcast from South Wellfleet on Cape Cod, but radio continues to be a vibrant focus of technological innovation.

After years of development, in recent months three Boston stations have begun broadcasting digital versions of their signals that can offer CD-quality music as well as streaming text information such as song titles and news and weather headlines to display screens on special digital receivers. Another 10 area stations plan to offer digital -- sometimes called ''high-definition radio" -- this year, joining nearly 300 stations nationwide that have licensed the technology.

Japanese radio maker Kenwood in mid-January rolled out the first digital radio receiver, a $350 unit that includes a display screen similar to the ''crawler" at the bottom of cable television news channels. JVC and Panasonic are expected to introduce digital car radios in the next 30 to 60 days. The sets would all pick up conventional broadcasts when digital versions are unavailable.

http://www.boston.com/business/markets/articles/2004/03/01/listen_youll_hear_the_future/

Counterfit
Mar 1, 2004, 03:47 PM
Cool! I listen to one of the stations with it now (WGBH) and one soon to be upgraded (WAAF)! Oh, and my mother listens to WCRB, but they play the same stuff over and over...

Mr. Anderson
Mar 1, 2004, 07:05 PM
The future of radio is digital, but not local digital stations. You still get commercials and a limited range of music.

I have XM Satellite Radio and it is by far so much better than regular radio, analog or digital. Its like cable tv for radio....who really just watches network tv anymore?

D

evoluzione
Mar 1, 2004, 07:35 PM
forgive me if i get this wrong, but england has had this for years... under the acronym DAB (which i think stands for Digital Audio Broadcasting)

this is pretty much the same thing right???

just an enhanced digital way of broadcasting, much like TV has analogue and digital. i think.

kylos
Mar 1, 2004, 08:15 PM
Its like cable tv for radio....who really just watches network tv anymore?

D
Uh, me. Cable wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for broadband. And I can't get cable or dsl where I live anyway. It's like the dark ages, huh. :p

Mr. Anderson
Mar 1, 2004, 08:29 PM
Uh, me.

There are always exceptions - I was being too general in my statement.

But how about this: If you could have cable, would you get it or just stick with the 5 or so regular channels?

D

wdlove
Mar 1, 2004, 09:36 PM

But how about this: If you could have cable, would you get it or just stick with the 5 or so regular channels?

D

My interest is cost. I have cable, but basic. It costs me $8.66 a month. Since I don't watch all that much TV, I'm satisfied with local channels, PBS, Comedy Central, and Animal Planet. Without the cable the reception is very poor.

I don't want to pay for radio. Would the local digital be a compromise with improved sound at no cost?

AngryLawnGnome
Mar 1, 2004, 09:46 PM
This could be a great improvement. Gotta love technology.

kylos
Mar 1, 2004, 10:18 PM

D
Well, I would enjoy techtv. But the biggest thing I dislike about cable is that there is usually something good on all the time on one channel or another. With regular tv and the 20 or so channels that come in (not necessarily good quality), there isn't that much to watch. I've found that too much quality tv is bad for me. While it can be very educational, artistic, and entertaining, it's much healthier to do something with your life (instead of someone else's on whatever show). I'd still like cable (or at least dsl) for internet. You've no idea how painful it is to surf a broadband web on dial-up.

Naimfan
Mar 1, 2004, 10:42 PM
The UK has indeed had DAB for several years. In terms of sonic quality it represents a rather dramatic step backwards.....

Bob

rainman::|:|
Mar 2, 2004, 09:03 PM
No surprise that we're behind Europe on this one, we still can't figure out how to run a freaking train. I'm sure this could be added to cars, and added to airwaves, and within 10 years people would have made the transition, but I just don't see the mainstream rushing out to get one of these, or really seeing it as anything but a novelty. I agree that XM radio seems to be the best investment right now, tho local radio will always be around, in some form... or at least for a very long time...

paul

Mr. Anderson
Mar 2, 2004, 09:35 PM
I don't want to pay for radio. Would the local digital be a compromise with improved sound at no cost?

XM is $9.99 a month, and with 100+ stations, most of them commercial free its worth it, especially if you commute or spend time in your car (we also have an adapter for the house).

Just like XM, with digital terrestrial radio, you need to buy the hardware.

D