Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goroke

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Japanese

HURRY! This $20 app is free only for 1/1!!

it's basically a Japanese-American dictionary, but the quality and the features would make is worth $20. With full set of Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana (The type of words Japanese uses), and it's very easy to use, you don't need any type of experience in Japanese in anyway!

Like I said, HURRY!!

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
It really is the best Japanese dictionary built for native English speakers available on iPhone. The kanji are not too difficult to look up, the stroke animations are nice, and it's got the kanjis sorted by schhol year they are learned as well as JLPT tests.

Some of the definitions are a little vague though.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I don't know Japanese, but I downloaded this since I've considered learning it at some point.

Also, does anyone know of a good free online translator? For work, we all work from around the country and have a Jabber chatroom we use and a few people know Japanese and talk to one another back and forth a little and I'd like to be able to decipher what they're saying, but the ones I've tried mostly turn up gibberish (I've tried Google, altavista, babelfish)

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Got this. Thanks. I'm learning Japanese by myself. No classes. This will come in handy. Although, now, I think I am going to take a beginner japanese class. I have no idea how to memorize all the Kanji.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
Japanese

HURRY! This $20 app is free only for 1/1!!

it's basically a Japanese-American dictionary, but the quality and the features would make is worth $20. With full set of Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana (The type of words Japanese uses), and it's very easy to use, you don't need any type of experience in Japanese in anyway!

Like I said, HURRY!!

the american is english? ;)
downloaded

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks to Goroke for the heads up! (And the developers ofcourse).
Managed to grab it for free in the nick of time, although the $20 full price is more than worth it.
I'm currently in the process of learning the 1945 jōyō kanji with James W. Heisig's excellent 'Remembering the Kanji' book.
The 'Japanese' app is a great addition to the process.
Good stuff! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.