Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meefle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Hi,

I recently installed a new hard drive in my MBP Intel, early 2008 edition. I followed the instructions from: http://www.jeffcoughlin.com/blog/index.cfm/2008/9/26/Upgrade-Hard-Drive-in-a-MacBook-Pro

Everything works fine after I put in the new drive except for the Sims 2. Whenever I try to run it, it says the application quit unexpectedly and I can choose to Ignore, Report to Apple, or Relaunch, but no matter what I do I can't get it started. If i boot my laptop off my old hard drive and try running it, it works perfect. I've tried reinstalling the game, fixing permissions on my new hard drive, and booting the sims off my old hard drive through an external inclosure.

Please help!

Thanks

JeffHong21

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
i have to same problem when i installed my wc3 and wc3ft. It quits unexpectedly and gives me the same three options. I had it on my mac before, but i uninstalled it.

JeffHong21

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
when i install reign of chaos...that works...but after i install frozen throne, both RoC and FT wont work. I have no idea what to do.

jonnypark

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Portsmouth, UK
I've come across the same sort of problem. I've installed the Sims 2 and that works great, no problems except for that Quicktime Update last year, but then when i install an Expansion (Any expansion, 1 or all), it gets half way through the loading screen before the neighborhoods and it quits with the same messages (The Sims 2 application has quit unexpectedly). Ive been looking all over the internet to find out what the problem is!!

jonnypark

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Portsmouth, UK
I've Worked It Out!!!

It meant i lost everything i'd built and all my sims, BUT, i got the game to work again. What you have to do is what is says in the Readme

To uninstall The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Body Shop, drag the following to the trash:
"The Sims 2" folder which contains the game and The Sims 2 Body Shop applications
"home folder\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2" folder
"home folder\Library\Preferences\com.aspyr.TheSims2.plist" file
"home folder\Library\Preferences\com.aspyr.TheSims2BodyShop.plist" file
"home folder\Library\Preferences\com.aspyr.TheSims2PackageInstaller.plist" file

if you cant find the bottom three, use your Spotlight and search the file names, mine where in Documents, not Library.

Delete it all, re-install and i have no problems whatsoever!

hope this works for you guys. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.