PDA

View Full Version : white macbook (mid 2007) memory upgrade - 2 GB or 4 GB?

asterix
Jan 1, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hey all, this is my first post. I hope it's in the correct forum.

I want to upgrade the memory in my white 2.0GHz Macbook (purchased May 2007) and am trying to figure out two things:

(1) What my Macbook model # is (e.g., MA255LL/A, MB061LL/A, MA701LL/A, etc...)

(2) Whether it takes a maximum of 2 GB or 4 GB RAM. I've searched the internet, these forums, and a few websites and found conflicting information about this....

OWC says this, which makes me think it takes 4 GB (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade):

*Core Duo 2.0GHz model supports up to 2GB Memory; May 2007 MacBook 2.0GHz model supports up to 4.0GB Memory; Late 2007 'Santa Rosa' MacBook 2.0GHz Model supports up to 6.0GB of memory.

Apple says this, which makes me think it has a 2GB max (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651):

MacBook (Mid 2007)... Your MacBook computer has two memory slots... Both memory slots can accept an SDRAM module that meets the following specifications... 512 MB or 1 gigabyte (GB)

Crucial's Mac Scanner said this, which makes me think it has a 2GB max, but it told me I have a black, not white, macbook:

Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch Black) MA701LL/A Laptop/Notebook. 2GB Total

And finally, I downloaded and used the Mactracker software, which said that my macbook was either the "Late 2006" or "Mid 2007" model.... not much help, and I can't find the original documentation that came with my macbook so if it's on there, well I don't have it.

Here is the info from the system profiler:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.17f0

Any help or info will be much appreciated. Thanks!

aethelbert
Jan 1, 2009, 08:11 PM
The hardware will utilize up to 3.3GB. If you put in 2x2GB, everything will work fine. It will only use 3.3 of the 4, but you get the advantage of dual channel memory.

SHADO
Jan 2, 2009, 09:01 AM
Yea more RAM=faster everything. Like the previous poster said, it won't use the full 4GB, but 3.3GB is better than 2GB. And your computer has the capability to go up to 4GB, not 2GB.