Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmdeegan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
So I did search, and the results gave me a headache. Or, made one worse. Forgive me if the answer is out there, I just wasn't sure it was...

So here's my setup.

I have FiOS as my ISP, and their provided router serves up a G signal for wireless. This sits in my basement.
I have connected to it over ethernet, a relatively new Airport extreme, with this set up to provide the N only network. Until today, everything was fine. I was syncing, I was streaming, no issues, no stutters.

Today, however-having made no changes outside of disconnecting 2 networked drives from the Airport, both of my Apple TVs were really slow.
in doing some poking around, for some reason my N network seemed to have gone away. I re-did it, but then realized I never locked it in for N only. I locked it to N only, 5ghz, and now one Apple TV is fine, but the other which had been fine, now refuses to see the network at all, and only sees the G network.

the two apple tvs are one floor above the network gear, and in rooms maybe 25 feet apart. in terms of a direct line from the apple tvs to the airports, its a virtual wash, no more than 5 or 6 feet difference between them.

Any ideas why one apple tv connects to the best network fine, and the other won't see it at all? If manually enter the name, it says theres a problem with the network--even though I am surfing the very network from my MBP, 2 feet away from the apple tv that says the network isnt there.

Should i consider an extender? Should I suffer with that one on the G network, which was so crappy it prompted me to get the Airport in the first place? I am really stumped, since for so long it had been working really well, and now it went from bad to worse.....

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Restarted your Apple TV's?

When this was working previously, was the Airport Extreme configured for N or was it not locked down then too?

jmdeegan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Yes to the reboots.

And I'm gonna say it was set up for all wifi before. I don't remember changing it initially
I'm beginning to wonder if this apple tv might be flaky. I can swap the units between rooms and see if that 5 feet is killing it or not I guess

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Just another point - for my Apple TV, I have assigned it an IP by taking its MAC address in the Airport Extreme settings, not that is what is causing your problem, I just like all my devices to have constant IP's.

Something else you could try is changing the wireless channel. It is possible one of your neighbours has a new wireless router and it is operating on the same wireless channel as yours, thus causing interference. In my old flat, my flatmates had PC laptops (a Dell and an HP) and I had my Mac and the Apple TV. It took about 5 attempts at finding a wireless channel every device was happy with. Some channels don't play nice with some devices.

jmdeegan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
If I got one connected to the n network and one to the g that should be ok right? Shouldn't mess up itunes synching?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.