PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else having major Handbrake issues?

Michael CM1
Jan 2, 2009, 12:35 AM
I know the developers work on donations and stuff, but 0.9.3 seems to have major flaws in it. My main problem is about half the stuff I try to start encoding or add to a queue doesn't do anything. I just started trying to rip a Family Guy set I bought. The first episode on the disc wouldn't add to the queue, but the second one would. How in the frick is this happening? I can't rip Lost Season 1 even though I have done it twice before. Using MTR, RipIt, FairMount, etc. doesn't help one bit. As Charlie Brown would say, AUGGHH!

Kevster89
Jan 2, 2009, 02:51 AM
Your problems seem strange.

I have been using Handbrake (0.9.3 - the most up to date and the same version as yours) quite frequently recently and it is working perfectly.

Also, I have been able to successfully add files to the queue and they transfer there with no problems, and the program handles all files in the queue as designed.

I would trash it - clear your trash - download it again from Handbrake.fr
See if this helps, it's worth a shot because 0.9.3 is functioning perfectly for me right now (knock on wood ;) )

firestarter
Jan 2, 2009, 03:01 AM
Handbrake has its own user forums where you can post problems.

Why not do that, so the developers have a chance to fix the problem?

Michael CM1
Jan 2, 2009, 03:35 AM
Well, the problem seems to have been with my default preset (a custom one). I deleted the application and ALL of the application files that I found in the Library folder inside my home folder -- all except my created presets. Once that didn't work, I switched to the Universal preset and it added with no problems. I created a new custom preset just like the bad one and it worked. Weeeeeird.

As far as posting on the HB forums, I still wasn't sure that it wasn't an error on my part somehow. The forums there also seemed to be kinda cluttered and I didn't think I would figure anything out. But if this fixes everything, I may post that on there. I still need to see if Iron Man will rip without the first 30 seconds being out of sync, so there may still be an issue to fix.

someone28624
Jan 2, 2009, 05:41 AM
The last movie I ripped with Handbrake, a fairly older DVD (A Walk to Remember) ripped beautifully and plays on my computer in iTunes perfectly, but it won't sync to my iPod.

pilotError
Jan 2, 2009, 07:44 AM
The first time you ran handbrake, didn't it ask to get rid of the old presets? I could have sworn mine did.

My issue is with converting MKV's to MP4's using the ATV presets. I'm not getting any sound. I've tried going into the Audio section and manually selecting, but It still doesn't work (Windows version BTW).

I've reverted to mkvtools to do the conversion on the Mac, but I wanted to take advantage of my quad core to do the heavy lifting.

I haven't pursued it beyond this though...

txhockey9404
Jan 2, 2009, 09:23 AM
Do you have VNC installed? I think that 0.9.3 requires VNC to do any ripping. Also, if you have Time Machine, you could always go back to 0.9.2. I use that when 0.9.3 is not working for me. Another suggestion is to rip the DVD first with Mactheripper.

NightStorm
Jan 2, 2009, 09:32 AM
Do you have VNC installed? I think that 0.9.3 requires VNC to do any ripping. Also, if you have Time Machine, you could always go back to 0.9.2. I use that when 0.9.3 is not working for me. Another suggestion is to rip the DVD first with Mactheripper.
That's VLC, not VNC. And it is only necessary for protection sources.

Michael CM1
Jan 2, 2009, 11:29 AM
I have to recommend FairMount to everybody. This first disc of Scrubs Season 7 had like 3,000 bad sectors.

txhockey9404
Jan 5, 2009, 06:05 PM
That's VLC, not VNC. And it is only necessary for protection sources.

Whoops, sorry. Knew it was one of those V something C's:)

pakyooh
Jan 26, 2009, 12:59 PM
sorry to thread jack but I've so far successfully ripped one dvd using handbrake, the 2nd and 3rd ones have no audio.

I've seen tons of threads on this but no one seems to have a solution.

DavieBoy
Jan 26, 2009, 01:09 PM
It seems to me that a lot of the new dvd's have better encryption. The Dark Knight for one. Not a prob for me cus it came with a digital copy butstill...

I believe you can still download some of the older versions if you think that will help. If you cant, hit me up I still have them...

DavieBoy
Jan 26, 2009, 01:09 PM
It seems to me that a lot of the new dvd's have better encryption. The Dark Knight for one. Not a prob for me cus it came with a digital copy but still...

I believe you can still download some of the older versions if you think that will help. If you cant, hit me up I still have them...

bembol
Jan 26, 2009, 01:24 PM
Good thing my brother & sister didn't upgrade theirs because I'm having issues with the latest version. It worked on their iMac's.

All four DVD's Max Payne, Swing Vote, Mirrors and Eagle Eye did not work, they were all scrambled basically unwatchable. I tried different Presets and Custom, none worked.

soLoredd
Jan 26, 2009, 02:13 PM
Good thing my brother & sister didn't upgrade theirs because I'm having issues with the latest version. It worked on their iMac's.

All four DVD's Max Payne, Swing Vote, Mirrors and Eagle Eye did not work, they were all scrambled basically unwatchable. I tried different Presets and Custom, none worked.

Something definitely isn't right. I just did Eagle Eye last night using the 'Universal' preset and it came out fantastic. That was the first movie I've done since upgrading to 0.9.3.

pakyooh
Jan 26, 2009, 02:16 PM
I kept the same settings for the 2nd and 3rd attempt (both attempts different dvds) and the avi file i got didn't have audio. I'm not really sure whats happening. I'm trying out a different dvd right now. Will post how it turns out.

pakyooh
Jan 26, 2009, 05:51 PM
Nice... after 3 hours of waiting. Still no audio..

Audio works fine with vlc, but quicktime doesn't have any.

Btw, I need it to play correctly on quicktime because I have to convert its for my N810.