Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d.schomburg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
I have just recently bought my Apple TV and thought to myself man I am going to get allot of shows I might as well get the one with a big hard drive. So I get is I love it but after s couple times of syncing I notice my computers drive space going down and my Apple TV memory is still low. Well come to find out all of my shows were moving to my itunes.:mad: Well I then try to drag and drop the shows back on to my Apple TV to free up space and guess what that does not work. So that is where I am at how is this suppose to work and does Apple think we all have computers with 1TB of free space? But like always I am probably doing something worng.:confused:

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Have you tried selecting your Apple TV via itunes (before syncing on the bottom screen)

After selecting the Apple TV in iTunes to sync to your Mac, on the bottom of the screen you should see a pull down that allows you to select your Apple TV or Mac.

I'm not sure if this will work or not as I'm still trying to figure it out ;) I purchased one for my parents for Christmas and I was trying to add 3-4 movies from my macbook to there apple tv to watch that night and it ended up removing the 3 copies of Step Brother that my dad purchased 3 times and for some reason Apple TV charged for all 3 purchases and downloaded 3 different copies? Then when I synced the appletv to my macbook it copied all 3 copies (giving me a total of 4 copies of step brother)

Keep me posted and good luck!

marcusgee

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Just to be sure: you're trying to sync content to your ATV and then delete the original files from iTunes? You won't be able to do that, because if you delete the item from your iTunes library, then that same item will be deleted the next time you sync your ATV. The only way you can keep content exclusively on the ATV (that I know of) is to buy it on the ATV itself, and then make sure that you don't ever sync it to iTunes--which is risky, as you would have no way of backing the files up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.