Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Hey guys,, I am currently trying to decide which route to go for my macbook (13" or 15" Pro).
My current laptop is a 15.4" with 1680x1050 resolution. Going to a macbook/pro I lose out on my resolution. But I dont know if I will be ok or not as I have never owned a 13" Laptop.
The computer will be for school, and a lot of windows programming with Visual studio, as well as Xcode in mac... I love my 1680x1050 for this reason.

But what I am wondering is how would 1680x1050 on a 15.4" and a 13" 1280x800 compare? I figure I will get used to the lack of desktop realestate, and wont mind too much as I do most of my coding on my desktop (will only code on macbook during class).. Has any one else gone from a huge jump in screen size like this? How was it?

My other choice is to go with the macbook pro. But my opinion on this is that I am already losing out on my desired resolution, so I might as well save money and just get the regular macbook. I dont plan to do a lot (if any) gaming on it. BUT I can also sign up for the studen developer program with apple and buy a pro for only 1700(canadian), which is still 300 more than a refurbished aluminum macbook(including the 99 dollar developer fee)

I personally am thinking to stick with the 13", since I am already losing resolution.. Unless you guys think its too big of a jump down?

Please help me decide!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have a MacBook Pro 15" (1440x900), 24" monitor (1920x1200), and a MacBook Air 13" (1280x800). Before I got the MacBook Air about two weeks ago I almost always used the 24" for everything but once I got the MacBook Air I find I use it more than anything else. At first it was a bit hard to adjust to the smaller screen size but I got used to it pretty quickly and am not too pained at all to use the MacBook Air now, so yes, it is perfectly doable to go from a high resolution 15" to a lower resolution 13". I must say that when I do go back to the 24" for editing, it is nice to have the extra space, but that doesn't stop me from preferring the MacBook Air however.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I went the other way, was a lot to get used to. I felt that 13 is great for commuting and grabbing on the go, but 15 is good once you get there and worth the extra weight.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Personally I couldn't see myself doing everything in a 13" screen, but neither on a 15" one. Hence my 22" display at home were I do all the 'important' stuff. Even though I have a relatively inexpensive external display I love it to bits and wouldn't settle for less screen real-estate. On the other hand, 13" and its characteristics (smaller footprint, less weight, etc) is phenomenal for note taking and portability. 13" top-notch MB + a big external display is the way to go for me.

Victor

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Personally I couldn't see myself doing everything in a 13" screen, but neither on a 15" one. Hence my 22" display at home were I do all the 'important' stuff. Even though I have a relatively inexpensive external display I love it to bits and wouldn't settle for less screen real-estate. On the other hand, 13" and its characteristics (smaller footprint, less weight, etc) is phenomenal for note taking and portability. 13" top-notch MB + a big external display is the way to go for me.

Victor

I would also agree that a 2nd display would be very good to have. That way you would have the best of both worlds.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Thanks for the replies.
The second display wont really be an option( as I wont need it). This is mainly to be used in class (or when I am lazy and want to sit on the couch, or in bed and want to use the computer).

For all my real work I have a Desktop with a 22" display (Its a PC running OSX)

Worst case scenario I can just connect it to my 22" monitor.

Side question:
How does the 8400M compare to the ati x1600 mobile? (the 1600 is in my current laptop)

Thanks again.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Sorry, I meant 9400m... I assume the same goes for that ;)

As mentioned before you shouldn't see much of a difference with such graphics card, I have a friend that switched from an x1600 in his MBP to a 9400m in his new MB and he says there's practically no difference between em'.

Victor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.