Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idofotos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Nebraska
I hope that this is the right place to ask this, I would like to add a USB 2.0 and fire wire 800 cards to my g4 dp 1.25, do I need to remove the old fire wire 400 card or will they all fit and work together? every thing else is as it came from the factory, 120 gig hard drive, this is used every day at my Studio and I cant afford to make a stupid mistake, I am planning on adding a newexternal firewire 800 hard drive & possibly an external dvd burner, I was planning on doing the installation myself, I have added a video card to a pc and switched cd burners, but never been in my mac except when I added the new ram, let me know if I should take it to a repair station to have it done, our local mac dealer is not real good so i would have to take it about 45 miles, also I will be adding Panther to the mix soon should I wait till its installed the add hard ware or vice versa, I do plan to only add one card at a time, thanks sorry to be so long winded

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Firewire and USB are both on the main logic board, so you cannot take them out.

Don't know which PCI upgrade cards people are having the best results with.

But something to remember is that the drivers for these product will probably need relatively current versions of OS X.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm having good luck with my Adaptec USB 2.0 card in my dual 800, which has USB 1.1 and FireWire 400. I already have two USB 2.0 devices attached.

My USB 2.0 card didn't have any Macintosh drivers with it and was only recognised as USB 2.0 from 10.2.8 and 10.3.x. There isn't a whole lot to adding the PCI card but you can't remove USB 1.1 or FireWire 400, as it's part of the motherboard.

idofotos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Nebraska
thanks

Sounds like what I want to hear, I had hoped that I didn't lose one type of firewire to get the faster, and same with usb, looking forward to buying a new G5 soon but the upgrades will have to do for now, Thanks again for the help

UKMacBod

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2004
You can easily add a PCI-based FireWire and USB 2 cards. MacOS X should detect them automatically...

beagley

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Add USB2.0 to PowerBook titanium?

Has anyone tried one of the PCMCIA cards for USB2.0 in their PoweBook. I want to get a Nikon 35mm Coolscan negative scanner and have just learned that they no longer support firewire

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
UKMacBod said:
You can easily add a PCI-based FireWire and USB 2 cards. MacOS X should detect them automatically...

Out of curiousity, does connecting them through the PCI bus reduce their performance relative to the built-in direct-to-bus connections already existing? If so, there might not be much advantage to FW800.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
beagley said:
Has anyone tried one of the PCMCIA cards for USB2.0 in their PoweBook. I want to get a Nikon 35mm Coolscan negative scanner and have just learned that they no longer support firewire

I had a TiBook G4 before I got this G5 wich I have now...

and I used the Adaptec Cardbus USB2.0 card, since OSX 10.2.8 it was supported at USB2.0 speeds, I had it running on OSX 10.3.3

so no problem there...

greetings J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.