PDA

View Full Version : Quotes - better or worse?

arn
Mar 1, 2004, 09:26 PM
New Quote style...

better, worse, no preference?

Edit: Quotes reverted to default style for now.

arn

arn
Mar 1, 2004, 09:26 PM
New Quote style...

arn

Example.

arn

Sun Baked
Mar 1, 2004, 09:31 PM
No preference, yet.

---

I noticed when I tried posting an article yesterday, that even though the article may be long and you'd like to avoid making a comment on it in the initial post...

it still tells you that your post is 10 characters too short.

MoparShaha
Mar 1, 2004, 09:42 PM
I think they're much better. So much easier to follow than the old box. I also like how the round, soft nature of the new quote box offers a contrast to the squarishness of the forum. They complement each other well.

job
Mar 1, 2004, 09:44 PM
New Quote style...

arn

I think it looks fine, but it might look a lot better if the little bubble that says "Quote" was removed, i.e. the header of the quote just says "Originally posted by XXXXX."

whocares
Mar 1, 2004, 09:46 PM
I think it looks fine, but it might look a lot better if the little bubble that says "Quote" was removed, i.e. the header of the quote just says "Originally posted by XXXXX."

Ditto.

arn
Mar 1, 2004, 09:48 PM
Ditto.

What if there is no Posted By?

arn

HexMonkey
Mar 1, 2004, 09:49 PM

You bet me to it, I was about to post that idea.

I do prefer the new style though, perhaps another possibility is to merge the "Quote" section and "Originally posted by..." section.

Mudbug
Mar 1, 2004, 09:50 PM

arn

I think the "posted by" is somewhat necessary, since some people quote multiple sources - it's hard to keep up who said what sometimes

job
Mar 1, 2004, 09:50 PM
something like this I guess.

Then again, I don't even know if you can make changes like this.

However, I do prefer the new quoting style over the old.

AngryLawnGnome
Mar 1, 2004, 09:51 PM
the Posted By is better...it doesn't take up any extra space, and if it's a long thread, it can really speed things up.

Sun Baked
Mar 1, 2004, 09:52 PM
>Replying to who?

When it's a long thread, it would be hard to see who they're replying to.

Especially some of those really active front page threads.

It would almost be like somebody is replying and forgetting to mention who they're replying to.

wdlove
Mar 1, 2004, 09:53 PM
New Quote style...

arn

I just noticed it this evening arn. It looks very sophisticated. A very nice upgrade. It should contain the person that is being quoted. You just continue to amaze me arn, thank you! ;)

MoparShaha
Mar 1, 2004, 10:00 PM
I think what the others are trying to say is that the two consecutive bubbles are distracting. I like job's idea. Or maybe, make the text "Quote:" bold, so it is distinguished from the following "Posted by...."

HexMonkey
Mar 1, 2004, 10:14 PM
It looks like Arn followed our advice; The quote bubble has gone. :)

EDIT: Huh, it's gone back to the original now. What's going on?

arn
Mar 1, 2004, 10:20 PM
It wasn't easily editable to exactly what was wanted. I reverted to oldstyle for now... will mess with it more later.

arn

sethypoo
Mar 1, 2004, 10:21 PM
I just noticed it this evening arn. It looks very sophisticated. A very nice upgrade. It should contain the person that is being quoted. You just continue to amaze me arn, thank you! ;)

Arn, I have to hand it to you, great job. The new quote styles are very, very neat looking.

Any way to darken the background of the forum pages a few shades?

Cheers!

whocares
Mar 1, 2004, 10:24 PM

As other's have said, definately keep the "Posted By" for clarity.

kylos
Mar 1, 2004, 10:35 PM
My 2 cents
I kinda think 2 bubbles is rather pleasant in appearance. Anyway, new (now not used) quote style is much nicer than the original whether you give it one bubble or two. Again, great work. You've managed to pull off a substantial upgrade with very little effort.

vniow
Mar 2, 2004, 12:16 AM
Dunno, I sorta liked the bubbles.

Also, one thing I liked about the old style of quoting is the way italics and bold were used, instead of being:

My 2 cents
I kinda think 2 bubbles is rather pleasant in appearance.

It was:

Originally posted by Kyle?
I kinda think 2 bubbles is rather pleasant in appearance.

which I think helped it to stand out a bit more from the regular text despite the box already around it. Italics don't seperate it as much as I think they should, the bold stands out more I think.

Anyhoo, just my thoughts.

BTW, the new colour arrangement is bloody awesome.

Doctor Q
Mar 2, 2004, 12:26 AM
BTW, the new colour arrangement is bloody awesome.You're the expert, so I guess that settles it.

applemacdude
Mar 2, 2004, 08:55 AM
I agree with the bubbles. They are just cool. Anyways just kill these ugly smileys and bring back the old ones.... ;)

sethypoo
Mar 2, 2004, 01:37 PM
I agree with vniow, I think that the quotes should be bold, not italicized.

wdlove
Mar 2, 2004, 01:51 PM
It wasn't easily editable to exactly what was wanted. I reverted to oldstyle for now... will mess with it more later.

arn

I hope that you will be able to bring back something similar in the near future. Now that it's gone, I miss the change. The old style just looks antiquated, so 20th Century.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 2, 2004, 07:21 PM
Posted by sethypoo
I agree with vniow, I think that the quotes should be bold, not italicized.

but then if you have a bold word in you post it may stand out less.

edit-nevermind.

btw, there's a lot of quoting in this thread :p;)

kylos
Mar 2, 2004, 07:30 PM
Testing to see if two bolds makes a plain
but then if you have a bold word in you post it may stand out less.

edit-nevermind.

btw, there's a lot of quoting in this thread :p;)

Nope, guess not. Though it would be pretty handy. Probably against the nature of markup languages anyway.

Ajmbc
Mar 2, 2004, 09:54 PM
I think that the quotes should have the "posted by in plain text and the poster in bold italics.

The body should be plain as to preserve any original emphasis.
If it is in the circle it is obvious that it is being quoted.

Picture kind of hard to see-- click on it

Ajmbc

--edit, update in information

Krizoitz
Mar 2, 2004, 11:30 PM
I think that the quotes should have the "posted by in plain text and the poster in bold italics.

Picture kind of hard to see-- click on it

Ajmbc

--edit, update in information

While I think your style is interesting I think its totally incongruent with the rest of this site. Everything in the boards, and on the site is square style, that adds too much round. I think it would just be totally out of place.

zimv20
Mar 3, 2004, 01:41 AM
i like the grey box better than the round stuff

Ajmbc
Mar 3, 2004, 06:53 AM
While I think your style is interesting I think its totally incongruent with the rest of this site. Everything in the boards, and on the site is square style, that adds too much round. I think it would just be totally out of place.

If I am not bad wrong, that is what the 'new' quote style was.

Ajmbc

kylos
Mar 3, 2004, 09:44 AM

I tend to agree. The circle is enough emphasis and plain text would retain original formatting.

wdlove
Mar 4, 2004, 02:20 PM
Having the quotes in gray or italics would set them off very well. I really liked the original rounded soft edges. Hopefully arn will make an improvement to the current plain square look.