PDA

View Full Version : RAM issues with iMac 20" Intel core 2 duo 2.4 GHz

hummus27
Jan 2, 2009, 09:07 AM
Hello there, i recently got myself two 2GB ram memories, i turned off the computer and inserted them correctly. Yes i did press them in hard unlike many others did, which seems to be a common problem. Now when i start i dont get that booting sound that you always get when booting a mac, nor did the screen light up, it just stayed black. So tried replacing one of the 2GB card with my old 1GB, i then started up the computer and everything worked, it said both the 1GB and 2GB cards were ok in the system profiler. I then swapped out the current 2GB card with the other one, and it also worked according to the system profiler, it said the same in windows XP aswell (i use bootcamp). I then for some reason tried putting both 2GB cards in again and started the computer, same error as in the beginning.

Please help me on this as i will not be satisfied only having 3GB of RAM and letting the other 2GB card just rot in some corner.

PcBgone
Jan 2, 2009, 09:22 AM
Sounds as though that 2nd chip is faulty. Is it the same brand as the other 2gig chip?

hummus27
Jan 2, 2009, 09:29 AM
yep theyre the same, and no both the 2GB chips work, i've checked in the system profiler.

http://pny.eu/products.php?section=product&categoryid=13&subcategoryid=46&productid=248 these are the memory cards i have, yeah i know they're not the "mac edition" but they are supposed to work anyway.

mreg376
Jan 2, 2009, 09:51 AM
yep theyre the same, and no both the 2GB chips work, i've checked in the system profiler.

http://pny.eu/products.php?section=product&categoryid=13&subcategoryid=46&productid=248 these are the memory cards i have, yeah i know they're not the "mac edition" but they are supposed to work anyway.

PNY is not a vendor I would recommend for RAM. Return both, and go with Crucial or OWC.

drmemory
Jan 2, 2009, 04:59 PM
A lot of RAM can work separately, but when paired together, loads the memory bus down incorrectly.