Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brendonnelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Ok, i own an imac G5 with isight. It says it is a Imac Intel Core Duo. It has the standard ram it came with. My brother recently got a macbook, the white ones. It came with leopard install discs, so I thought I would see if I could install leopard. After booting from the install discs that came with the new macbook, the language selector came up and I clicked english. A pop up box appeared, telling me that "Leopard cannot be installed on this computer" or something to that effect. It gave me the option to quit or restart. I clicked quit, but since nothing else was available, i ended up restarting. But when I restarted I was greeted with what looked like a flashing globe. So after a few unsuccessful restarts, I attempted to reinstall Tiger, but it doesn't seem to be working at all! I called phone support and when through a big process but in the end I would have to pay 50 dollars to get real support. Anyone know whats going on? Should I buy leopard? And if the install of Tiger works, is leopard compatible with my computer? Is it worth buying? And is there any way to use my brothers macbook install discs on my computer? The lady said I couldnt but its not like there is a serial number on the install discs or anything. Thanks if you actually read this novel of writing....Any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The problem lies in the fact that the MacBook is an Intel computer while your iMac is a PowerPC computer. Intel and PowerPC are completely incompatible, so you cannot use the install disk that came with the MacBook. Try reinstalling Tiger using the install disks that came with your iMac.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
First, if it's an "Imac Intel Core Duo" it's not a G5. G5 refers to the last generation of PPC chips. So, which is it?

Second, no, install disks from a MacBook can't be used on an iMac.

A little more detail on what's happening with a) startup and b) the Tiger reinstall would help.

Brendonnelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
The problem lies in the fact that the MacBook is an Intel computer while your iMac is a PowerPC computer. Intel and PowerPC are completely incompatible, so you cannot use the install disk that came with the MacBook. Try reinstalling Tiger using the install disks that came with your iMac.

Im pretty sure it is an intel imac...I only guessed it was with isight imac because it has isight on it...it is definitely intel...
We got the computer around 18 months ago brand new. The leopard install is currently working. It is G5 I think because when we first got it I can remember we were like WOW its a G5

rs13

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2008
theres some confusion

Im pretty sure it is an intel imac...I only guessed it was with isight imac because it has isight on it...it is definitely intel...
We got the computer around 18 months ago brand new. The leopard install is currently working. It is G5 I think because when we first got it I can remember we were like WOW its a G5

OK it sounds like your getting confused by what model you have, If you click on the apple logo in the upper left of the screen then click on about this mac it will tell you whats in your mac, then we may be able to help you with your problem.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004

No, if was new 18 months ago it is not a G5. If it's Intel, it's not a G5. G5 refers to the type of PPC (which is not Intel) chip that Macs used to have. They were superseded three years ago by Intel chips.

How is the "leopard install is currently working"? Did you buy a retail Leopard disk?

Brendonnelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Thanks for your replys, i have gotten 10.4 on it, i might buy leopard retail disc soon, when I feel like it. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.