Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Logkid92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Canada
Hey guys, i'm a student, in grade 11 im wondering which mac would be better, the iMac with the 8800 GS or the iMBookPro with 9600M Gt. I would use them for audio recording, a bit of gaming an d everyday stuff

Thanks,

Gab

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
The MacBook Pro in my view will be a better purchase if you need mobility, but if you don't then get the iMac, that way you'll have a powerful machine with a large screen, and when you go to college you'll still have a powerful machine that you can stick in your dorm.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Just hang in there a few days if you want to get an iMac. The new ones will most likely come out this week.

I prefer the MBP, you never know when you want to take your computer with you...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hey guys, i'm a student, in grade 11 im wondering which mac would be better, the iMac with the 8800 GS or the iMBookPro with 9600M Gt. I would use them for audio recording, a bit of gaming an d everyday stuff

Thanks,

Gab
If you're a student do you intend to go to college? If so, the MBP is the way to go (in terms of both of your options).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
do the Ghz make a big difference in speed? MBP 2.4 vs. 3.06 imac

It's the processor speed. Both are dual cores. It depends, 2.4 goes fine, but if you do a lot of multitasking (running many programs at same time) or very heavy programs you will notice the difference but in every day the difference will be measured in nano seconds.

I have 2.2GHz single core laptop and I can still run Firefox, MSN, Media Player and µTorrent without big lags (and this is a PC and running more than 1 program without lag is a miracle!)

How much you have money to use? There will be chance that new 17" MacBook Pros will also come out at MW, so if you have money that could be perfect for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.