Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jennymcmillan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Hello,

I just purchased a Panasonic HD / 1080 camcorder. I followed the instructions on the apple web site watching the tutorial (plug in cable, set camcorder to PC mode, choosing large format, etc.) The video quality is quite poor on the screen (blurry, fuzzy, etc.) So then, I thought I would try it on the bootcamp side under Windows and the quality is outstanding.

Also -- I have a home video on DVD that I placed in my mac to view and the quality was again horrible. I could barely make out the faces of people from a distance but again, when placed into the windows side -- quality is fine.

I would greatly appreciate your help as I am a fairly new Mac owner and feeling overwhelmed by everything. Thanks. Jen

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
This is a bit of a wild guess, but here it goes: What is your screen resolution set at when you are using Mac OSX? If it is set at some value other than the native resolution of the screen you could get a very fuzzy image.

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
I followed the instructions on the apple web site watching the tutorial (plug in cable, set camcorder to PC mode, choosing large format, etc.) The video quality is quite poor on the screen (blurry, fuzzy, etc.) So then, I thought I would try it on the bootcamp side under Windows and the quality is outstanding.
I take it this means you imported the video from your camcorder into editing software such as iMovie on the Mac side of things, and a different programme on the Windoze side of things. More details please?

Andrew.

Jennymcmillan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Hello, Yes, you are correct -- when I plugged in the cable -- the movie went into IPhoto. Then I transferred it into IDVD to burn it to a DVD. But when it went into IPhoto --- the quality was bad, so then I tried to import it directly from the camera into Imovie and same quality. On Windows side, I used the disc that came with the camcorder called HD writer. I read through the camcorder instruction manual. It said can be used with mac & iLife programs. There were not any types of restrictions with using mac.

Also -- I am going to try to figure out how to look into my screen resolution as the other person suggested and I will let you know how that works out. But I don't think that is it -- because the video was burned to a DVD-R from both the Mac side and the Windows side. I played each DVD on an HD TV -- and the quality of the MAC burned disc - bad, quality of Windows burned disc Good. Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... The video quality is quite poor on the screen (blurry, fuzzy, etc.) ...
I take it that you are taking about the display quality of iMovie. If this is the case, then you must understand that iMovie is not a viewer; it is an editor. iMovie's display is good enough to edit your video. If you want to view your production, then you may use the QuickTime Player or use iDVD to create a DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.