PDA

View Full Version : Common problems worth checking

Project7
Jan 4, 2009, 02:26 AM
Hey guys and girls.

I will be getting an Aluminium MacBook tomorrow (yay!) and have heard of many problems from other users of the internet.

I understand that people who are happy with their MacBook wouldn't bother posting, thus resulting in a biased image online.

But when I do get it in the mail tomorrow, I would like to be able to test it, as I don't want to find out that I have a dud after a few weeks/in the middle of doing something.
Ofcourse, something could go wrong later on in the MacBook's life, but what I would like to do is eliminate any risk from the beginning.

So, here are some things that I will check for problems that I have heard of online. If you see anything missing, or any that are not worth being there, tell me so that I can add/remove them from the list of things to check.

- Sound quality
- Wi-Fi Reception/Connection
- Weird noises(?)
- External Ports
- Drivers/Updates
- Trackpad, Keyboard etc.
- External Monitor
- Wake from sleep
- Screen hinge (white MacBook?)

Thanks,
Project7

RRutter
Jan 4, 2009, 02:28 AM
Hey guys and girls.

I will be getting a MacBook tomorrow (yay!) and have heard of many problems from other users of the internet.

I understand that people who are happy with their MacBook wouldn't bother posting, thus resulting in a biased image online.

But when I do get it in the mail tomorrow, I would like to be able to test it, as I don't want to find out that I have a dud after a few weeks/in the middle of doing something.
Ofcourse, something could go wrong later on in the MacBook's life, but what I would like to do is eliminate any risk from the beginning.

So, here are some things that I will check for problems that I have heard of online. If you see anything missing, or any that are not worth being there, tell me so that I can add/remove them from the list of things to check.

- Sound quality
- Wi-Fi Reception/Connection
- Weird noises(?)
- External Ports
- Drivers/Updates
- Trackpad, Keyboard etc.
- External Monitor
- Wake from sleep

Thanks,
Project7

The only thing I have had problems with, it my Screen creaks (it has since the day i opened it) when I move it. Also, the DVD drive inside is FRIED (also been that way since I got it..)

Check this thread out for some tips about it too!

Macbook Problems (http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-442020.html)

gjw4u
Jan 4, 2009, 05:08 AM
RRutter, may I ask why you newer got the SuperDrive fixed? Standard warranty would get that replaced in no time.

Tinknock71
Jan 4, 2009, 11:58 AM
1 Sound quality- come on its a notebook not a stereo system, it sounds fine for a notebook alot better then any notebook I have had in the past, wish it had a 12" sub:D maybe next generation.

2.WiFi- Have not had any problems my apple router is in the basement in my theater room and have no problems in house or outside on patio

3.Weird Noises- None for me, quietest notebook I have every had!

4.External Ports- I don't use them that often, for me maybe a USB backup drive or external monitor. Wish it had a HDMI but thats just me.

5.Drives and Update- It looks for update when computer is on and you can check yourself also, No sure what you mean about Drives? (internal or external)

6.Trackpad and Keyboard- trackpad is the best!! love it, as far as keyboard no problems for me, I can type on any computer I'm not picky.

7.External monitor- I don't use one. I sit on the couch in front of tv for me.
its easy to hook up just need adapter.

8.Wake up from sleep- I have not had any problems with this, just open lid and touch keyboard and back on she goes.

Over all I am very happy with the new Macbook 2.4. I switched from a 12"Powerbook was very happy with that, just wanted little faster computer for my video converting programs and the lighted keyboard, we sit almost in the dark when we watch tv, makes it a little easier to see.

Primejimbo
Jan 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
1 Sound quality- come on its a notebook not a stereo system, it sounds fine for a notebook alot better then any notebook I have had in the past, wish it had a 12" sub:D maybe next generation.

2.WiFi- Have not had any problems my apple router is in the basement in my theater room and have no problems in house or outside on patio

3.Weird Noises- None for me, quietest notebook I have every had!

4.External Ports- I don't use them that often, for me maybe a USB backup drive or external monitor. Wish it had a HDMI but thats just me.

5.Drives and Update- It looks for update when computer is on and you can check yourself also, No sure what you mean about Drives? (internal or external)

6.Trackpad and Keyboard- trackpad is the best!! love it, as far as keyboard no problems for me, I can type on any computer I'm not picky.

7.External monitor- I don't use one. I sit on the couch in front of tv for me.
its easy to hook up just need adapter.

8.Wake up from sleep- I have not had any problems with this, just open lid and touch keyboard and back on she goes.

Over all I am very happy with the new Macbook 2.4. I switched from a 12"Powerbook was very happy with that, just wanted little faster computer for my video converting programs and the lighted keyboard, we sit almost in the dark when we watch tv, makes it a little easier to see.

Same here, I didn't know where were WiFi issues also. I am very happy with my Macbook.

Project7
Jan 4, 2009, 05:53 PM
I don't think you get what I'm asking.
I'm not saying "What's wrong with YOUR MacBook" but rather "What are problems that other people have had"
I was trying to recap all the possible problems.

As for sound quality, I don't expect it to be thumping massive base, or be fully immersed into a World War II scene, but I don't expect it to crackle and pop every few seconds.

Anyways, it's all good, I did get my MacBook today, very happy with it, nothing wrong yet. :) (Wow, lots of commas in that sentence)

Have a good one, people.

RRutter
Jan 4, 2009, 07:37 PM
I did get it fixed.

Buskape
Jan 4, 2009, 07:47 PM
Come on, just wait til you get your macbook and enjoy it!

Don't think it will have problems, why do you want to search for them in the first place??

You'll notice it soon enough if it really has a problem.

Project7
Jan 4, 2009, 09:08 PM
Come on, just wait til you get your macbook and enjoy it!

Don't think it will have problems, why do you want to search for them in the first place??

You'll notice it soon enough if it really has a problem.

Thanks Buskape,
I actually realised that when I got it this morning. Looking at it, I decided just to enjoy it, and that is what I am doing right now.
Haven't been looking for problems, and haven't found any. :D

Cheers.