Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAG88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Hey guys,

So I've bashed my head against every surface I could find for the past 2 weeks with this problem.

I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

I currently have a .MKV 720p HD video file (around 6.5GB), which I want to stream through to my PS3, I'm using Mediatomb and I'm aware of the limitations of the PS3 when it comes to playing MKV files.

So I've gone ahead and saved it as a .mov file with QTP, then exported it using passthrough into a MPEG4.

The new MPEG4 file plays fine with QT & VLC on my computer, but once I add it to Mediatomb, it tells me "The data is corrupt".

I've also tried using an external drive to play the file directly from the PS3, but that failed miserably (FAT32 4GB file limitation)

I had a stint trying to separate the original file into .h264 vid & AAC Audio then re-compiling with MP4creator, specifying frame rate etc, to see if there is a difference, but i keep getting an error while trying to create the file.

Burning it to a DVD with Roxio Toast is my last alternative, but I want to avoid this as much as possible since I'd be looking at dual layer DVDs or taking a massive hit on the quality of the video, both not very good solutions.

I've googled for days, without any answers or alternatives.

Any help or latteral thinking is much appreciated

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
You need to re-encode the video. There's obviously some sort of incompatibility. Who knows what settings the original encoder used.

I'd suggest you give up remuxing your MKVs, as I have, and just bite the bullet and spend a few hours re-encoding it. VisualHub and Handbrake with work fine. Handbrake even has a PS3 preset.

I've nothing against the MKV format, but gods knows how people encoding the video manage to mangle the h264 time after time.

Also, check this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6866284

JAG88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Hey guys, i thought I'd point to the fact that this thread

helped me heaps, and i finally have all my MKV files working.:D

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I also own a PS3 and have many mkv files lying around :)

I have searched and searched and the only thing that really works very well is a little program called mkv2vov (http://www.mkv2vob.com). It's free and it remuxes your mkv into m2ts files which play great on the PS3. The best is that it also retains Dolby Digital. DTS soundtracks will be converted to Dolby Digital with mkv2vob.
There is only one downside, mkv2vob is available only for windows, so get yourself a VM program, install Windows XP or Vista and you will enjoy your mkv files untouched (from a quality perspective) on your PS3.

Everything else is unfortunately not good enough...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.