Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
I was at my cousins yesterday and he bought an apple component video cable. My two cousins both have I phones and both iphones displayed video and audio just fine on the tv. But when I tried my touch 2g all I got was audio.
Compared the settings on their iphones to my touch and found no difference. On apples sites it says the component video cable is supported by the touch 2g.

Anyone have a thought on this?

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I was at my cousins yesterday and he bought an apple component video cable. My two cousins both have I phones and both iphones displayed video and audio just fine on the tv. But when I tried my touch 2g all I got was audio.
Compared the settings on their iphones to my touch and found no difference. On apples sites it says the component video cable is supported by the touch 2g.

Anyone have a thought on this?

It's been disabled. I had the samething happen with my docking station.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I had to buy the newer version dock to make it work again. I had the older Apple docking station, Then the AV cable kit would work again.

This came up when the iPT first came out, The Macy Gray versions had bad contrast and the out put jack would not allow video to work.

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
No dock was used. These are the new cables that apple released when they switched video output to the connector. One iphone was a 1st gen and the other was a second gen(3G). Both worked fine, yet my ipod touch 2g would not work. When plugged in all three would show the screen cap on the video and the interface would change. But my touch would not output the video( photo slide show did not work either). :confused:

Roadking

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
I know you said no dock was used but looking at the Apple web site it shows two different docks for the iPhone and the Touch.

Maybe you need to use the iPod Touch dock with the cables?

I don't know for sure but I would like the answer if it does indeed work. I would like that option as well.

Thanks.

Roadking

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
I just checked out that link that was given and apple even makes a note about it...

Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (3rd and 4th generation), iPod touch (2nd generation), and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution; and by iPod touch (1st generation), iPhone, and iPhone 3G at 480i or 576i resolution.

So I am not sure what is going on...

Dino451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Thanks anyway. I will search google for an answer if there is one. :)

jhypes

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
IPT 2g not working w/ Apple Component Cable

I'm having the same problem here. Just purchased a new 2nd Generation iPod Touch 32GB and researched how to get video from the Touch to our TV. Bought the Apple brand component cable at the same time.

Tried hooking it up and get audio through fine. Video is coming through the TV but not correctly. I'm getting 2 video screen smooshed up side by side on my TV.

Is there a setting on my IPT that needs changed? Resolution or something like that? Would love any suggestions you might have!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.