Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotjustin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
I may be really dopey, but I can't ever find files the way I want to.

Like, if I want to look for After Effects Project files, I can search for .aep, but not all of my files have .aep.

I remember in OS9 being able to drag files into "finder" and it would analyze it somehow and say, "Hey, that's a quicktime file." How do I make that happen in OSX?

Funny, I've been wondering for 3 years and I can't stand it anymore!

Thanks

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
robotjustin said:
I may be really dopey, but I can't ever find files the way I want to.

Like, if I want to look for After Effects Project files, I can search for .aep, but not all of my files have .aep.

I remember in OS9 being able to drag files into "finder" and it would analyze it somehow and say, "Hey, that's a quicktime file." How do I make that happen in OSX?

Funny, I've been wondering for 3 years and I can't stand it anymore!

Thanks
It seems that what you want to do is best done with creater codes and file types. File type metadata has been replaced by extensions in MacOS X. If you don't want to use standard extensions such as .aep, then you are working at cross purposes to yourself. In MacOS 9 and earlier version of the MacOS, applications were associated with files by creator codes. Creator codes are still available, but are now frowned upon by Apple. What you are trying to do is much less relevant in MacOS X 10.x than it was in MacOS 9. MacOS X affords the user much more flexibility with applications than did MacOS 9. In theory, the user can now associate each data file with a unique application. And, you can change these associations on the fly.

My suggestion: Use the standard extensions for your files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.