PDA

View Full Version : New MBA & LCD Cinema Display 24" when does your fan chime in?

shootingstar64
Jan 4, 2009, 06:13 PM
.... as stated above,... when you have your MBA connected to the new LCD Cinema Display 24" and the lid closed,... which apps do you run and when does the fan chimes in?

I do some Safari, observing my Mac Pro in the Office via Screen Sharing and watching TV running EyeTV.

iStat tells me tmp is 65 up to 67 and the fan runs about 6184rpm

(fan is absolutely audible,...)

How´s about yours?

justit
Jan 4, 2009, 10:34 PM
How´s about yours?

In general, even though 65(C?) doesn't deserve 6100rpm, they kick in if the temps climb fast. In your case it seems the USB is getting hot from EyeTV.

Is it constant or does it eventually climb down?

umgoblue2008
Jan 4, 2009, 10:45 PM
my fans come on anytime i am watching a video or a stream (youtube, etc)

SFStateStudent
Jan 5, 2009, 09:25 AM
+1 ^^^ Yup, anytime I'm watching streaming video, ripping a DVD, and watching youtube during a powerpoint presentation...:(

pstoehr
Jan 9, 2009, 04:17 AM
Hi *,

I'm going to replace my old PowerBook G4 by something new, maybe a MBA with the new 24" Cinema Display.

Will the fans start to make some noise while doing "normal" stuff with the MBA, for example using office applications (Word, pages, ...) and doing some programming with xcode?

Thanks for an answer
Peter

umgoblue2008
Jan 9, 2009, 05:23 AM
Hi *,

I'm going to replace my old PowerBook G4 by something new, maybe a MBA with the new 24" Cinema Display.

Will the fans start to make some noise while doing "normal" stuff with the MBA, for example using office applications (Word, pages, ...) and doing some programming with xcode?

Thanks for an answer
Peter

Usually it doesn't kick in with word/powerpoint/web browsing, unless there is video involved. I don't do any programming so not sure with that.

Another thing, having a laptop stand that exposes the vents will help with the fan noise, as currently I have a griffin elevator. It beats having the laptop sit on a table.