PDA

View Full Version : TiPB CD-RW unavailable?

Roog
Nov 19, 2001, 10:38 PM
Has anyone noticed that the CD-RW option at the Apple Store is "temporarily unavailable" for the TiPB? Is this a harbinger of something that I would jinx if I wrote it, OR am I being [way] OVERLY optimistic?

Has Apple ever had an option "temporarily unavailable" without bringing out new hardware in the near future? I personally don't recall. Does anyone have any insights?

Macwizzard
Nov 19, 2001, 10:56 PM
Both the iBook and Titanium Powerbook were temporarily unavailable when they were released. All they mean by temporarily unavailable is that they don't have any in stock and they need to fill more orders.

Roog
Nov 20, 2001, 06:31 PM
Devil's Advocate:

Why mention "temporarily unavailable" at all? Why not just say it will ship in 4-8 (or 12 or 16) weeks? If it is "in stock" shouldn't it ship in a few days, yet many times it takes products 'many' weeks to ship, yet at these times it does not mention "temporarily unavailable"...?

Roog
Nov 21, 2001, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I must be reading a lot into the 'unavailability' and now the new iBook discounts. Apple has never lowered prices or made options unavailable prior to bringing out new hardware.

john123
Nov 21, 2001, 03:33 PM
It's common knowledge that demand outstripped supply of CD-RWs on the PowerBook G4.

As for the iBook discounts, Apple often runs promotions. Did the free VST CD-RW with the PowerBook G4 mean that a new model was coming very soon? Nope.

Bear in mind that Apple (a) is facing a bad economy like everyone else and (b) wants to compete with the less expensive PCs this holiday season. All of that makes it altogether logical for Apple to offer customers an additional incentive to buy their products.

Sometimes, what you see really is what you get.

SPG
Nov 21, 2001, 03:38 PM
The tiBook did get a speed bump at the end of the promotion, not exactly a new model but it does back up the original theory here nonetheless.

john123
Nov 21, 2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by SPG
The tiBook did get a speed bump at the end of the promotion, not exactly a new model but it does back up the original theory here nonetheless.

Um, no. The change in the models did not come until the middle of October, yet the promotion ended at the end of August. There was over a six week lag. The case of the promotion is actually evidence against the theory.

Roog
Nov 22, 2001, 05:49 PM
I agree that the upgrade came much later but I don't agree that it goes "against the original theory"?

Nonetheless, I guess my original question still has not been answered "en masse": is it customary for Apple to have "temporarily unavailable" for an option for any of its hardware?

Only one fellow Apple dude has responded in the affirmative, but, and no disrespect intended, I cannot rest my laurels on one observation.

Anyone else: have you actually seen "temporarily unavailable" as an option for hardware at the Apple store? The rest of it is my theory (as some have described).

sparkleytone
Nov 22, 2001, 07:12 PM
jeez why cant you guys just see the obvious??

there was a promo on every product EXCEPT the iBook.

g4's and LCD rebate
Powerbook RAM doubled
iMac 600+ digicam/$150 rebate

and now...the iBook ...wouldnt YOU want to sell ALL your products??

anyways people should chill just a little.

jefhatfield
Nov 22, 2001, 07:41 PM
all the mostly irrelevant talk about the minutae about processor scaling and simd instructions and stuff like that, stuff i admit turns me on, does make the posters of the group miss out on obvious things from time to time

remember the first few moments of the ipod...almost nobody realized that it could be used as an external storage unit AND at the same time that the thing was small and thus not THAT overpriced

i also think the cube lost a lot of people but unless you have used one or seen it in the context of a quiet office or room, that thing is very, very quiet and it makes me now want to see a return to at least one model of the cube, perhaps with one or two expansion slots (even though as a modest mac user i would never need one of those)

anyway, thanks sparkleytone

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-22-2001 at 08:44 PM]