PDA

View Full Version : Left-Click Won't Work!

jlspalding
Jan 4, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hi fellas,

I seem to have what seems, a more uncommon problem (?). My Left-Click simply won't respond. However, I'm able to Right-click just fine. Here's how things went:

I used my computer for a while then closed it to make it sleep for a little bit. A couple hours later I opened it up which brought me back to what I was doing on a website on Firefox, except that when I started moving my mouse on my trackpad, it was highlighting the text without holding the trackpad button down and didn't seem to let up. I was able to move the cursor around just fine though. I tried tapping the button to see if it was stuck or something but to no avail.

I decided I would try to restart it but came back on without any trackpad response from the left click button. So, I turned on my bluetooth and connected my Mighty Mouse, which I was able to Right-click just fine but the left-click didn't work on the Mighty Mouse either! I've tried resetting my PRAM, repairing permissions, making sure sticky keys were off, checking the sensor behind the battery, reconnecting the battery, as well as restarting and shutting the computer down for a few minutes.

I have a MacBook Duo Core 1.83 mhz with Tiger (...I believe, the version right before Leopard) installed.

Please, let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

BlueRevolution
Jan 5, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hmm. That's odd.

Try booting to the install disks that came with your computer to see if the left button works there.

XnavxeMiyyep
Jan 5, 2009, 01:20 AM
I suppose you could also try going into your system preferences (when the Mighty Mouse is hooked up) and switch your left and right mouse buttons (if you're able to do so) and see what happens.

jlspalding
Jan 5, 2009, 12:26 PM
I have tried reinstalling but it only wants to eject any disk I put in. I have also tried switching the Primary mouse button to the Right-click on my mouse but that doesn't seem to work either.

It's like the computer thinks I am holding down the left click and I haven't let go of it. Strangest thing. Any other suggestions?

XnavxeMiyyep
Jan 5, 2009, 01:15 PM
I have tried reinstalling but it only wants to eject any disk I put in. I have also tried switching the Primary mouse button to the Right-click on my mouse but that doesn't seem to work either.

It's like the computer thinks I am holding down the left click and I haven't let go of it. Strangest thing. Any other suggestions?

That is really odd. It seems to be some sort of hardware problem, because holding left click is what makes the CD eject.

Try going into your system preferences and activating the Universal Access preference. Then click on the Mouse & Trackpad tab. Turn on Mouse Keys, and you'll be able to control the cursor with 789uiojkl after pressing numlock. Also check the ignore trackpad when Mouse Keys is on option.

This should allow Mac OS X to ignore your trackpad's input entirely. There's an ignore trackpad when mouse is present option as well that you might want to try if you missed it before, in the Trackpad tab of Keyboard & Mouse.

Good luck.

BlueRevolution
Jan 5, 2009, 05:34 PM
That is really odd. It seems to be some sort of hardware problem, because holding left click is what makes the CD eject.

Agreed. If it only happened with one pointing device I'd say there was a short circuit in the button itself, but this is just plain weird.

jlspalding
Jan 5, 2009, 06:10 PM

Try going into your system preferences and activating the Universal Access preference. Then click on the Mouse & Trackpad tab. Turn on Mouse Keys, and you'll be able to control the cursor with 789uiojkl after pressing numlock. Also check the ignore trackpad when Mouse Keys is on option.

This should allow Mac OS X to ignore your trackpad's input entirely. There's an ignore trackpad when mouse is present option as well that you might want to try if you missed it before, in the Trackpad tab of Keyboard & Mouse.

Good luck.

With Mouse Keys on, I'm able to click around using the number pad. And with "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" still does not allow me to left-click with my mouse.

None of these have solved the problem. Thanks for the help again. Let me know if you think of anything else.

XnavxeMiyyep
Jan 5, 2009, 07:06 PM
At this point, you may have to take it to an Apple store. It seems to assume a mouse click no matter what.

pasquatch
Mar 26, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hello, just came across this thread because I am going through the exact same dilemma over here, word for word.

Just wondering if you were able to resolve this?

TheCat007
Apr 8, 2009, 04:10 PM
I too am sudden;y running into this problem. It has never happened before. I suspect it's happened since I did the last update but can't be sure. Rebooting machine brings everything back to normal. What gives Apple!!!!!!

vipwoody
May 24, 2009, 03:46 PM
yep, this is happening with me too.

sometimes after a couple of hours working on my macbook, i get the left click to hang and stop working.... right clicks and middle clicks work perfectly.

I restart Finder and still get the problem, the only way to fix it is to restart the computer. This happened with me even before the latest update of OS X.

thescreendoor
May 25, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hello, just came across this thread because I am going through the exact same dilemma over here, word for word.

Just wondering if you were able to resolve this?

Oh, man! I can't do anything anymore as I am having exactly the same problem! Same problem with wireless mouse and corded mouse. Same problem happens after ten minutes when I log in to another user on my machine. Wah! I can't live without my machine.

Is it a virus? Can anyone help me? Puhleeze.

cdover
Jul 19, 2009, 11:12 AM
This just recently started happening to me, too! On my iBook, right after I updated to the latest Panther release. (Yes, I'm still running Panther).

Even when I connect an external mouse, only the right clicking works. I can't reinstall with the boot DVDs because the installation requires left clicking, which I can't do!

thescreendoor
Jul 20, 2009, 02:20 AM
Gerry at Big Island Computers in Courtenay told me what my problem was. I have "fat battery syndrome."

Anyways, Apple has stopped their battery replacement program. A new one is approx 150. Some are getting it comp'd

cdover
Jul 20, 2009, 09:50 AM
Really? So would getting a new battery solve the right-click-only problem? Lol, how does that work. I don't understand computers...

My iBook battery doesn't look to be swollen, but it's a bit warped.

thescreendoor
Jul 20, 2009, 11:32 PM
Warped. Swollen. Same diff - unless we are talkin' about somethin' else :D

Yeah, turn it off. Leave it off for a while to let it cool. Take the battery out. Try it without the battery in it. If your problem is gone that you will know that I am not "yankin'" your chain.

Battery is only good for so many cycles. You can check how many yours has done.

cdover
Jul 22, 2009, 09:29 AM
^ Okay, so I tried that and it's still not working. Poo.

I'd go get it fixed, but the cost might not be worth it on an iBook.

Thanks anyway.

thescreendoor
Jul 23, 2009, 01:01 AM
I am sorry to hear that that is not the problem with your machine. Mine was a MBP and it is as good as new with the new battery.

Best of luck.

Anonymous Freak
Sep 27, 2010, 09:37 PM
Alright, I've run into the same thing. Original Core Duo MacBook.

Battery isn't the issue (tried with battery out.)

The trackpad button is definitely stuck "down", and I've been able to get it to disable with "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" and the MouseKeys equivalent.

But I still can't get primary click to work on my Bluetooth mouse. If I reverse primary and secondary, secondary switches, so I know the physical button on the mouse is fine. Something about the trackpad button being stuck forcing the computer to completely ignore all physical mouse primary clicks? (MouseKeys "I/5" click works fine.)

wariosdabest
Sep 29, 2010, 04:38 PM
I had this exact problem, I thought it was random as well,

But then I realized my Hiptop Slide (mobile phone) was fully charged (my charger broke, I now connect to my computer for charging). So I unplugged it and BAM! my left click was working.

So, try unplugging all of your USB's. It might work?

Anonymous Freak
Sep 30, 2010, 04:43 PM
Nothing plugged in to USB. Creating a new user, and logging in as that user seems to have fixed it, though. Hrm... (Although the trackpad clicker is still broken, so that the system thinks it is permanently clicked, which means I can't boot to a CD, as it ejects it on boot.)

igucl
Sep 30, 2010, 04:56 PM
No one is talking much about which specific Mac they have. I'm assuming these are all MacBooks?

I'd be very interested to know if this is happening to the unibody MacBooks. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Or, is this happening only to the machines with an actual button?

Anonymous Freak
Oct 1, 2010, 03:30 PM
In my case, it is a first-generation Core Duo black MacBook. My first-generation Core Duo MacBook Pro does not suffer from this.

igucl
Oct 2, 2010, 10:18 AM
In my case, it is a first-generation Core Duo black MacBook. My first-generation Core Duo MacBook Pro does not suffer from this.

Thanks for the reply. This sets my mind at ease a bit. I am sorry it is happening to you, though. Things like this should never happen.

It seems to be the simplest, most fundamental things sometimes that Apple gets wrong. Maybe they focus too much on the flashy?

Ninety
Nov 2, 2010, 08:08 PM
No one is talking much about which specific Mac they have. I'm assuming these are all MacBooks?

I'd be very interested to know if this is happening to the unibody MacBooks. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Or, is this happening only to the machines with an actual button?

I have a mid-2009 13" unibody MBP running the latest Snow Leopard build and I am most definitely having the same issue. It only happens intermittently with mine in that I won't have the problem for weeks but then it'll happen to me several times over the course of a few hours. I've never been able to figure out what causes it or what makes it stop happening. I can't remember when I first noticed the problem but it was definitely several OS updates ago.

So the only fix I've seen in this thread is replacing the battery? I really hope it doesn't come to that but this has been plaguing me off and on for a couple of months now so I may just have to bite the bullet on it.

whatawonder
Nov 13, 2010, 09:22 AM
Same problem here. Mac desktop, OSX, six months old, 10.6.5

Had this problem for about 2 weeks, it can happen at any time - at start up, or mid session.

Really irritating - and complete waste of my time - reboot x times till it works. gggrrrrr:mad:

Everlasting
Nov 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
For me, the fat battery syndrome seemed to apply!

I have an aluminium MacBook with Snow Leopard.

An aside: I regularly have the problem that things get selected as if I was holding the left button down when I'm not. I usually 'fix' that problem by pressing all the non-alphabet buttons on the keyboard (e.g. shift, Caps Lock on and back off, Ctrl, Alt, Cmd etc...); this seems to resolve the issue (the original idea I had was that the shift button was stuck somehow but I don't know if that's actually the case).

But today I ran into the issue described by the OP: things got selected but now the Mac didn't respond to left-click at all. Right-click worked fine though, as did scrolling and swiping and all the other stuff you do with your trackpad. Thinking I could fix it in the preference pane I went and got a USB mouse, but the computer still didn't recognise the left-click. A few soft and hard restarts didn't help either. So I went googling and stumbled on this thread.

Once I removed the battery and started the laptop back up, everything worked fine. I've now put the battery back in and am allowing it to drain completely, and everything still seems alright. I hope I don't have to get a new one, I already replaced it once a year ago.

I have been a bit bad with keeping the laptop continuously hooked up to the power cord for the last few months, and it has also been running quite hot so maybe that was the issue?

Anyway, long post just to let you know how I sorted this. I thought it might be helpful though.

kiki7
Dec 14, 2010, 12:15 AM
having the same issue here, with my new imac, I find that it happends when i have been working on it for a while.. and usually when i have firefox open and am working in an Adobe program. I can right click to my hearts content but i cant left click, not with my wacom tablet or with my mouse. The only fix is to restart.. but its hard to close down stuff w/o a left click. I had this issue with my macbook pro as well.. which is almost three years old.. whats the deal?? I doubt its a bat problem if my new desk top is having the same issue, and my macbook had a new bat as well.

upgradedimages
Jan 7, 2011, 07:13 PM
I too found this forum because I was having the same problem with my 3-month-old MacBook Pro. I know what happened with mine is gonna sound lame to most of you, but hey... maybe someone out there is dealing with the same thing.

When working in Firefox and Adobe, left-click stopped working on my trackpad and on my Logitech mouse. Restarted. Unplugged external mouse. Cursed. Etc. Then I walked across the room to grab my "computer junk bag" to look for the install disks, and what did I find inside??? The bluetooth Apple Mouse that came with my iMac. Turns out it was switched on, and my French Bulldog had rammed into the bag, which knocked it over, activated the mouse and applied constant pressure to the mouse button. Turning off the mouse restored functionality to the left-click button on the trackpad and the Logitech mouse. Voilą!

Again, probably not what's happening to most of you, but maybe??

SmokinX
Mar 18, 2011, 05:41 AM
I too found this forum because I was having the same problem with my 3-month-old MacBook Pro. I know what happened with mine is gonna sound lame to most of you, but hey... maybe someone out there is dealing with the same thing.

MacPro: same thing happened! Put my trackpad in my bag and accidentally switched it on. Left mouse was stuck until I found your story! :D

wilkerlucio
May 2, 2011, 02:08 AM

When working in Firefox and Adobe, left-click stopped working on my trackpad and on my Logitech mouse. Restarted. Unplugged external mouse. Cursed. Etc. Then I walked across the room to grab my "computer junk bag" to look for the install disks, and what did I find inside??? The bluetooth Apple Mouse that came with my iMac. Turns out it was switched on, and my French Bulldog had rammed into the bag, which knocked it over, activated the mouse and applied constant pressure to the mouse button. Turning off the mouse restored functionality to the left-click button on the trackpad and the Logitech mouse. Voilą!

Wow, thanks for remembering that! I was going crazy here, so, I remembered that I have an Magic Trackpad that was boxed here, and tada! It was on!! I mean the problem is fixed now :) (but I still a little afraid, it's trying to eject CD on startup...)

gardh
Aug 14, 2011, 05:38 AM

haha! same thing here! Thanks for posting this! I was going insane trying to figure out how to navigate my mac with just the keyboard and right mouse clicks.

Gard :)

andy81563
Dec 3, 2011, 02:37 PM

Imagine my surprise upon searching the internet for a solution to this strange problem I was having with my left mouse click and seeing the above-stated solution. After reading that, I reached into my briefcase and what did I find, but my bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse, turned on and in such a position that the left button was depressed. I proceeded to turn off the mouse, the bluetooth connection was lost and the problem went away. Thank you "upgradedimages" for the A-Ha moment. The problem is fixed!

yha
Feb 1, 2012, 10:16 AM
My MacBook's left click stoped working since I copied a file to my Mac via Bluetooth from my phone, and even ejected the DVD from startup.

I Spotlighted Bluetooth (Command-Tab)

then made a Bluetooth test and the left click worked again.

I think the firmware configuration was mangled.

Doctor Q
Mar 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
I just started having this problem. No other mice or trackpads are in range yet left-clicking stops working now and then on my wireless Logitech mouse, while right-clicking works fine. When it happens I use mouse-keys to restart and the problem is fixed, but than happens again later. I'm looking for a prevention or easier remedy.

Doctor Q
Apr 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
^ The problem I described above turned out to be the problem described here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2691191?start=0&tstart=0). My aging battery was swelling when it got warm, then pushing on the underside of the trackpad.

New battery ... problem solved!

dekal99
Jul 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
I had the same problem everyones been having for a while now. I have an iMac running OS X version 10.7.4. I would be going about my business and all of a sudden the curser would jump to the upper left screen and drag a box if it had generated on the desktop (highlight text if it generated on a text box) and from then on it would lock the left click button as if it is constantly being pushed down. I tried replacing the battery in the magic mouse, turning it off and turning my track pad on, and even tried plugging in a third party mouse but to no avail. the only thing that would fix this is restarting my computer( which is a pain to have to do over and over again).

On another note (don't know if its related), whenever watch anime on crunchyroll.com and the video setting is on 1080p (sometimes on 720p) the screen would go black (not sleep) i could still hear the video playing and the computer still has full functionality however the only way to bring the screen back is to hold (command+option+eject) which sends the computer into sleep mode, wait a few seconds and press any key to wake it up and viola! screen is back.

So when the curser locked up again I decided to try my black screen fix and YES it did work. and even though I can fix it, it is still annoying and would like if someone could fine a more permanent fix.

lander
Sep 9, 2012, 02:51 PM
Hi all,

My 2009 MacBook Pro was having the same problem, no left click. At times right click was unresponsive too. So I found this forum and read about "fat battery." The battery stopped holding a charge about a week before the clicking problems.

Low and behold, I took out the battery and all clicking worked fine. Looks like the dead battery had warped and was pushing up against the trackpad assembly. Interesting. New battery is MUCH cheaper than a new Macbook Pro...though, it might be getting time for that too.

Thanks for the help!

shaz13
Apr 23, 2013, 03:07 AM

Good luck.

Any clues on how I can turn mouse keys on without clicking on the dot?
I have no left click at all. I can navigate to the correct screen but can't figure this last bit out.
Thanks in advance

greatful
Sep 17, 2013, 02:57 AM

I created an account just to thank you, if you ever see this message.

GF thought her mac was broken, ran back and forth between the apple store thinking it was some sort of software malfunction. I would never have thought it would be the mouse causing it. Still cant find the mouse though, its somesomewhere in the house but Ive disabled the bluetooth and everything works fine.

thanks again for the help

Toddman876
Oct 10, 2013, 10:51 AM
Had to register just to thank you all. Magic Mouse got turned on in my book bag causing left click to not work. I was going nuts and was about to reinstall OSX!