Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hi guys, I have an idea for an iphone app and would like to make it. I have no coding and software development experience. However, the app is not complicated, I just want it to show a video and make some sounds, that's it. There isn't even going to be any interaction or controls. Will it be easy to do? What do I need to do to get started?

Also, do they allow people outside US to publish and charge for apps? I live in Asia. Thanks.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
It won't be the hardest thing, but it won't be the easiest either. You'll either have to hire someone to do it for you, or learn yourself how to do it. If this is all you ever want to make though, it'd probably be better to just hire someone.

stanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hrm hiring someone is out of the question. Will it be really that difficult to make an application run a looping video without any interaction?

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
It's not that hard for an experienced developer or even an average one like me, but starting from the ground up you'll have to learn a lot to be able to. And if you're getting this video off the internet, that's even more trouble.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I don't know, I haven't done it I wouldn't even know where to start. But I imagine it would be harder, just because it's dealing with the web.

stanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Ah my apologies, forgot to clarify, no web interaction here. Everything would be offline. Won't be getting anything from anywhere. You guys ever saw the lighter app where all it does was display a video of a lighter fire? Mine would be something like that except I want to include sound.

UPDATE: Oh Crap, I just found out that the Iphone SDK is only available for Mac. I'm a Windows user. Looks like I really need to hire someone to do this. How much will it roughly cost to do something simple like this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.