Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travis1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Hi my name is Travis, and I am passionatly persuing a strong career in video editing, but I am just frantically wondering what's the best way to start? I am learning Final Cut Pro right now, and mastering everything I can about it, I have a very creative and a hard working, people person type of personality. The main thing I want to know is where do I go from here? I am a senior in high School at the moment and would love to hear from the pros because graduation is right around the corner and coming fast!! Thankyou soo much for your time and hope to hear from you soon!!!

-Travis

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
find people in your area that you work well with and make a bunch of films with them...

make stuff that will prove to people that you know how to tell a good story or even make a bad story interesting.

picking up the technical aspects of FCP is not nearly as useful as actually learning the art of editing.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
I teach media art and communications at a secondary school. FCP is just one tool in your bag to help you get where you are going. Not only do you want a digital portfolio, as the other post indicates, but you need to show/have good planning and execution.

You will always learn new techniques, tricks, etc, but make sure you can story board a production, identify and plan resources, develop a timeline for production. These skills are what separate students and professionals.

Join a local user group. At these venues people screen their work, share ideas, require help for productions and will offer talent and help in return. It's a great place to make connections and start networking with future and current film makers.

Volunteer your time to local stations and pick up as much about production as possible.

You are already a senior, so it's too late to do a coop, but that would have been a valuable experience for you.

Talk to the guidance counsellor at your school for program requirements and opportunities. Local organizations are always asking for student submissions to contests (usually for commercial ideas or PSA spots).

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
It's already been mentioned, but it's worth mentioning again. Get a job or internship at a local TV station or production company. It will give you an opportunity to learn the art/craft of editing, to learn how things are done 'in the real world' and you'll get to build relationships (i.e. network) w/working professionals that can help you land other jobs.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.