Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiBi4ever

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
but what i am curious about is : " is there really not any way to enhance the macbook graphic card ? " i ve try to find out a solution ,but there was none ,obviously we cant change the integrated GPU ( mine is x3100 ).

but cant we attach a dedicated graphic card to the macbook ?

thanks

mynameisraj

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2008
Boulder, Colorado
but what i am curious about is : " is there really not any way to enhance the macbook graphic card ? " i ve try to find out a solution ,but there was none ,obviously we cant change the integrated GPU ( mine is x3100 ).

but cant we attach a dedicated graphic card to the macbook ?

thanks

sorry, but you're stuck with integrated graphics. no upgrade possible.

MiBi4ever

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
such a pity to hear :( , that means my blackbook will never able to play nowaday-games :(

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Its called a Macbook pro, decicated dual graphics cards, yes, 2!!! =] and soon when snow leopard comes out be able to work in hybrid sli =]

sexy time
:cool:

This poster is correct. Do not buy a regular Macbook for gaming. Even the new ones with the nvidia 9400 is a low end graphic card and a joke for any real games. It won't be able to play any new games soon at a decent setting without a lot of lagging. Older games yes ,but when the newer ones come out, it will fail. Even nvidia rates it as a low end chip on their website. If you want an Apple laptop and want to game you need the Pro.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
This poster is correct. Do not buy a regular Macbook for gaming. Even the new ones with the nvidia 9400 is a low end graphic card and a joke for any real games. It won't be able to play any new games soon at a decent setting without a lot of lagging. Older games yes ,but when the newer ones come out, it will fail. Even nvidia rates it as a low end chip on their website. If you want an Apple laptop and want to game you need the Pro.

Not entirely true. I am able to run all teh games I've ran with my previous generation MacBook Pro on my current MacBook. I play nearly all my games at Medium to High or Maximum settings. For example, I play CoD4 and CoD: WaW on Maximum texture settings w/o shadows and it plays nicely at 30 fps. GTA4 on 1280x800 with everything low and still be able to get 25 fps.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Not entirely true. I am able to run all teh games I've ran with my previous generation MacBook Pro on my current MacBook. I play nearly all my games at Medium to High or Maximum settings. For example, I play CoD4 and CoD: WaW on Maximum texture settings w/o shadows and it plays nicely at 30 fps. GTA4 on 1280x800 with everything low and still be able to get 25 fps.

It is true. If you are trying to compare the dedicated 8600 card to the integrated 9400 then you need to read up some. The 9400 is only 50-55 percent as good as that old chip. Once new games are released the 9400 will be left behind. Like I said it isn't me saying it is a low end graphic card. Nvidia who makes that card says it is a low end one.

fifthroot

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
If your main purpose for the laptop is games (which you haven't said, but many could infer it from your statement about nowaday games) you can either 1) stick with Mac and pay a premium for a MacBook Pro or 2) pick up a Windows laptop on the cheap.

You could also look for a MacBook Pro refurb. In either case, if you want to get good results with current games you're going to pay a premium if you intend to do it on a Mac laptop.

I don't believe that you can do hybrid SLI with the new MacBook Pro and its 9400 and 9600 cards. There have been a few posts on this subject and all indications seem to be negative.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
If your main purpose for the laptop is games (which you haven't said, but many could infer it from your statement about nowaday games) you can either 1) stick with Mac and pay a premium for a MacBook Pro or 2) pick up a Windows laptop on the cheap.

You could also look for a MacBook Pro refurb. In either case, if you want to get good results with current games you're going to pay a premium if you intend to do it on a Mac laptop.

I don't believe that you can do hybrid SLI with the new MacBook Pro and its 9400 and 9600 cards. There have been a few posts on this subject and all indications seem to be negative.

Once Snow Leopards comes out you can. Regardless I only use the 9600 card and it runs cool and battery life is pretty good.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

I read that. MacJenn said once Snow Leopard comes out (not right now--we don't have Snow Leopard yet) it will be able to do it. That is what I have read also from different sites. I guess we will know whenever it comes out. It should just be a software update to do it and not a hardware issue.

Honestly I don't care if it will ever be able to do it or not. I run the 9600 all the time anyways like I said above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.