PDA

View Full Version : Girl Power softens Volvo´s edges

iGav
Mar 3, 2004, 06:04 AM
some sweet designtouches on this puppy... especially like the bonnet idea, as cars become ever more complex, self maintanence will become more difficult, kind of a stage further than the innovative Audi A2 which pioneered a similar system... and the rear seats that swing up cinema style... blinding!

either way, a good read, with some superb ideas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3528757.stm

teabgs
Mar 3, 2004, 08:02 AM
Why is the split in the seat for WOMEN with ponytails??? WHat about MEN with ponytails.

I dont know what they're talking about....it isnt uncomfortable drivign with a ponytail. And if it is LET YOUR HAIR DOWN, drive, and put it back in the ponytail. Thats what I usually do.

slackers.

richland
Mar 3, 2004, 08:04 AM
That thing is ugly.

wdlove
Mar 3, 2004, 08:46 AM
That concept might appeal to the young ladies. My wife really love's her Vovo S60 AWD. It makes a great car for her use with visiting nursing. She says that the seats are like siting on a lounge chair. It is easy to drive and is good in snow. She has her medical equipment covering the back seat and trunk.

Raid
Mar 3, 2004, 10:28 AM
I saw this article (in more detail) in the paper this morning and a few of the features seem really condescending to me. :rolleyes: Things like switching out seat cushions to match your outfit, computer assistance with parallel parking, "more room for shoping bags" are pretty sexist. The best "feature" though is the bonnet that can't be opened unless it's done by a volvo mechanic. Common that's just a way to make sure ignorant drivers keep comming back to thier dealers garages and get overcharged on labour and tests. Maybe it's a guy thing, but if I paid $30,000-$40,000 for something I would want unrestricted access to it!

Oh and before I forget, if you really need computer assistance to parallel park (and therefore not have the greatest spacing judgement) then why the hell did they put swing out gull wing doors on the damn thing? At least they don't plan to mass produce it!

neut
Mar 3, 2004, 10:42 AM
at least they're thinking.

a van currently marketed toward mom's is really appealing to me (the quest i think; split sunroofs and a media console... very cool). but id feel a little gay driving it. marketing is stupid.

peace.

jedi180
Mar 3, 2004, 11:54 AM
I would drive one of those sexy babies. But it's sad about all the "by women for women" stuff. I would end up looking gay. Of course, maybe not... I don't think women who drive trucks are gay. Maybe it would be ok after all.

cepheid

JesseJames
Mar 3, 2004, 12:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

virividox
Mar 3, 2004, 12:36 PM
i wouldnt mnd driving it, but if i had to buy with my money and drive it forget it

TEG
Mar 3, 2004, 05:32 PM
Too bad Volvo makes crappy Cars, Along with all the other Ford auto companies.

Die Ford, Die!

BTW: I own a Ford, and it is a POS.

TEG

MrMacMan
Mar 3, 2004, 05:54 PM
Somehow all other cars are
'Made by Men for Men' now?

Uhhhh, not true... who was the New Beetle trying to target? (not old Beetle that was trying to target low MPG)

Awimoway
Mar 3, 2004, 08:53 PM
I like the styling a lot, but I don't see how it's particularly masculine or feminine. The Miata--now that's a feminine car.

neut
Mar 3, 2004, 09:18 PM
I like the styling a lot, but I don't see how it's particularly masculine or feminine. The Miata--now that's a feminine car.

yet it's popular with the grey haired male crowd. sure it's their wife's car.

peace.

Macmaniac
Mar 3, 2004, 09:27 PM
All I know if it can last 300000 miles like my dads Volvo has then it will do well. He's get a 1988 240 DL, and its still going strong, although ever since Ford took over Volvo QC has gone down hill.

wdlove
Mar 3, 2004, 09:42 PM
All I know if it can last 300000 miles like my dads Volvo has then it will do well. He's get a 1988 240 DL, and its still going strong, although ever since Ford took over Volvo QC has gone down hill.

We have had our Volvo for almost 9 months, it has been very reliable. It's a well made car. Though I will admit that I was shocked to learn that Ford had purchased them. My impression all my life is that Ford is more reliable than GM.

Frisco
Mar 3, 2004, 10:02 PM
All American cars are junk! I can't believe people still buy American.

richland
Mar 3, 2004, 10:16 PM
All American cars are junk! I can't believe people still buy American.

:rolleyes:
You can't say that. You haven't tested out every single American made car.

TEG
Mar 4, 2004, 12:04 AM
I actually know people who work for "the big three" and other car companies. Those who work for Ford or Chrysler would NEVER buy one of their own cars. Why, because they know all the dirty secrets behind every vehicle. GM, Honda, VW, and Toyota workers on the other hand love their car companies, and know all the dirty secrets, but know that any short cut has been fully certified by the NHTSA and the NTSB, as well as many a cunning Engineer.

BTW, in case your are wondering, I know people from all these companies because I go to Kettering University, formerly General Motors Institute, where the top notch Engineers in the US learn all the skills they need to succede, while earning on the job training and experience to allow them to enter into the workforce right out of college, and further up the corporate ladder than a regular College Graduate. And also, it has the best Mechnical and Manufacturing Engineering programs in the US. Only one problem it is in Flint, Michigan, the 4th worst city in the US to live.

TEG

ThomasJefferson
Mar 4, 2004, 07:52 AM
I actually know people who work for "the big three" and other car companies. Those who work for Ford or Chrysler would NEVER buy one of their own cars. Why, because they know all the dirty secrets behind every vehicle. GM, Honda, VW, and Toyota workers on the other hand love their car companies, and know all the dirty secrets, but know that any short cut has been fully certified by the NHTSA and the NTSB, as well as many a cunning Engineer.
TEG
I just bought my first Toyota, a 2004 Camry XLE and love the ride, MPG and the quiet "almost" luxury feeling. I have bought US made cars prior to this, but (seems unkind to say it) they all seemed to fall to pieces.

wordmunger
Mar 4, 2004, 09:19 AM
I have spent less money repairing my 1994 Voyager with 100000 plus miles than my 2001 Passat with 40000 miles. Both vehicles were purchased new. But this is only anecdotal evidence. If you're worried about durability, compare the service records of any vehicle you buy. "Only buy American" or "only buy foreign" is narrow-minded, dimwitted advice.

And don't forget that nearly any car these days is an international endeavor. Parts come from all over the world; cars are rarely built where they are designed. Most Toyotas sold in America are made in America.

JesseJames
Mar 4, 2004, 01:08 PM
You know, I thought I knew what car I was going to buy next. Either the 2005 Chevy Cobalt SS or the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart.
Now there is something else that has gotten my lustful eye. The new Scion Tc. It's a sweet looking ride. Damn Toyota! They got me. They got me. I must buy one. Yes, must.

neut
Mar 4, 2004, 01:39 PM
You know, I thought I knew what car I was going to buy next. Either the 2005 Chevy Cobalt SS or the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart.
Now there is something else that has gotten my lustful eye. The new Scion Tc. It's a sweet looking ride. Damn Toyota! They got me. They got me. I must buy one. Yes, must.

you know, i was very tempted by the Scion truck... it's just a bit too small though. i may end up with an element. wish i could have a car, but with a kid, a band, and some bikes... it just wouldn't cut it.

peace.

wdlove
Mar 5, 2004, 11:45 AM
In the driver's seat

Volvo turns to an untapped perspective for inspiration

By Royal Ford, Globe Staff, 3/5/2004

In certain quarters of the American press, it will be treated as an automotive equivalent of the ''Man Bites Dog" story: ''Women Design a Car."

Indeed, in a world where women buy more than half of the cars sold, where they influence the purchase of 80 percent of all cars, their presence on the front line of automotive design in the past century-plus has been slight.

But now comes Volvo, introducing at the Geneva International Auto Show this week a concept car -- Your Concept Car -- designed by a team of women.

http://www.boston.com/business/markets/articles/2004/03/05/in_the_drivers_seat/

Stelliform
Mar 5, 2004, 01:00 PM
Common that's just a way to make sure ignorant drivers keep comming back to thier dealers garages and get overcharged on labour and tests. Maybe it's a guy thing, but if I paid $30,000-$40,000 for something I would want unrestricted access to it!

That is exactly what I was thinking! What happens if you break down miles and miles from the nearest Volvo Mechanic? Do you have to pay to have the thing towed back in addition to the volvo bill? I guess Volvo is marketed to a different class of people. ;)

Money is tight right right now, so I am on mechanic duty on my two cars. So far (this month) I have spent $45 in parts to change the oil and filters in both cars, a fuel filter in mine, fix a flat tire (nail puncture), and change out the unibelt in my car. (78k miles on that belt. :eek: ) Next I am going to service my transmission. (All explained for me in a $20 book. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this kind of work...) At this moment I might have to sell the car if the service bills were too much!