Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperkAyjnr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Hello, I currently live in Australia right now and I was just wondering if it's okay to run the MacBook with the max fan speed (6200RPM) at all times?

It's really hot nowadays and my MacBook runs at about 60 degrees Celsius idle. If I run a few CPU intensive apps, the temperature usually rises to 70-80 degrees. This is with the fan running at max speed.

So what I want to ask is, will it be okay to keep the fans running at max speed at all times? I'm going to get a notebook cooler soon so that should help with lowering the temperatures a little lower.

Thanks.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Hello, I currently live in Australia right now and I was just wondering if it's okay to run the MacBook with the max fan speed (6200RPM) at all times?

It's really hot nowadays and my MacBook runs at about 60 degrees Celsius idle. If I run a few CPU intensive apps, the temperature usually rises to 70-80 degrees. This is with the fan running at max speed.

So what I want to ask is, will it be okay to keep the fans running at max speed at all times? I'm going to get a notebook cooler soon so that should help with lowering the temperatures a little lower.

Thanks.

70-80C is COOOOOLLLD!!! my macbook runs about 90 - 100C and thats considered normal.

SuperkAyjnr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Wasn't the max temp for Core 2 Duos 100 something degrees Celsius?

I'm just concerned on the temperature and want to see if anyone knows if it's good to keep the fans at max speed or will it wear them out very fast.

dadeef

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
that is not normal unless you are running a graphically intense program/process. Check activity monitor and organize the processes by cpu usage, you'll find your culprit.

my aluminium 2.0ghz is currently sitting at 51°C and the fan is at 1100rpm, ive found that turning the fan speed down doesnt affect the temperature, the fan will automatically rise if it gets warmer anyway so i would recommend to people that they use fan control to drop the base speed to about 1100rpm

ambient room temperature is about 20°C. i would expect a computer to run a little hotter in warmer climates but it shouldnt idle at more than 70°C!

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
my aluminium 2.0ghz is currently sitting at 51°C and the fan is at 1100rpm, ive found that turning the fan speed down doesnt affect the temperature, the fan will automatically rise if it gets warmer anyway so i would recommend to people that they use fan control to drop the base speed to about 1100rpm

ambient room temperature is about 20°C. i would expect a computer to run a little hotter in warmer climates but it shouldnt idle at more than 70°C!

The minimum speed SMC fan control will let my fan go is 2000rpm.......it wont go any lower...

SuperkAyjnr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Fan Control should let you bring it down lower.. I don't think SMCFanControl lets you though. The max I can put it down to is 1800 RPM.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
that is not normal unless you are running a graphically intense program/process. Check activity monitor and organize the processes by cpu usage, you'll find your culprit.

+1
sometimes i have found that some programs crash with their foot on the gas and crank up my fan speed.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
TO THE OP

I would most certainly not advise you to maintain your cooling at a constant 6200RPM. The wear and tear you will cause the fan motor and bearings will cause damage, albeit in the long run, that may disable the cooling system - which may be disastrous if it happens on a hot day when you decide to start rendering some video.

Apple sets the cooling system to limits imposed by Intel in order to protect the processor boards from the slightest heat damage, and the regulatory system for the cooling system reflects that. If your computer is running hot it should under normal circumstances cool itself down without assistance with the fan speed.

That said, I do on occasion put my fans to the full 6200RPM if I am doing a processor intensive task such as video editing, and leave them on until I have finished. This is usually never more then three hours at any one time however, most definitely not constantly. So far I have not noticed any ill effects.

SuperkAyjnr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
TO THE OP

I would most certainly not advise you to maintain your cooling at a constant 6200RPM. The wear and tear you will cause the fan motor and bearings will cause damage, albeit in the long run, that may disable the cooling system - which may be disastrous if it happens on a hot day when you decide to start rendering some video.

Apple sets the cooling system to limits imposed by Intel in order to protect the processor boards from the slightest heat damage, and the regulatory system for the cooling system reflects that. If your computer is running hot it should under normal circumstances cool itself down without assistance with the fan speed.

That said, I do on occasion put my fans to the full 6200RPM if I am doing a processor intensive task such as video editing, and leave them on until I have finished. This is usually never more then three hours at any one time however, most definitely not constantly. So far I have not noticed any ill effects.

Thanks for the helpful reply :D

I guess I'll let the fans do their job properly now and only set them to max when it is needed.

Thanks everyone for the replies. ;)

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
Are you saying i have no commonsense ?

Eh?

No, I'm saying Apple would increase the minimum fan speed of higher clocked processors, that would be commonsense on their part. The comment was not directed at you, it was attempting to answer your original comment.

om3ga785

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
Raleigh, NC
just out of curiosity guys (don't mean to hijack) but the cooling fan in the MB, where in the intake vents for the fan? I've been looking for inside pictures to figure out were the cool air is being drawn from?

from my experience, majority of PC laptops I've owned and worked on, most of them have vent opening under the machine to draw in air from the outside, and out through the heatsink fins to push away the warm or hot air. this doesn't seem to be a thing on the Macbook Alum. (or older Mb's and Powerbooks, my old PB G4 had 2 fans, but it was the same thing, no vents under the machine) i know it's pushing the hot air from the rear back vents, but were is it intaking? :confused:

Could someone be kind enough to clarify this since were on topic about fan speeds? :D

Oh and i agree, it will shorten the lifespan of the cooling fan if you leave it on 6200 rpms full blast. (plus it's noisy too at that speed) and dust will build up much faster on the heatsink vent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.