Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DynamicCoreApps

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
okay so i have a fairly simple website for my applications and im wondering what the next step is. the site gets around 50 visits a month and i want to know the nature of these views. so here's my questions.

Do you view an app's website before you purchase it?

do you use the website for support/faq?

do you visit a good app's website to check for other apps?

all your answers would be very helpful and hopefully these questions are on the minds of others too

happy developing, The DCA team :):apple:

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
To get more traffic, I suggest getting a professional .com address. I do visit the websites sometimes, not always, mostly only if I am having a problem, so listen to your reviews and find the common problems, post good FAQ's.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I always look at the website for an application. What you can write in the store is so limited I find a well designed site to be a bonus.

Also, having support forums, a nice tour etc is also a plus. Regular updates (via a blog or whatever) is also nice to show the developer is active.

Who wants to buy an app and have the developer quit 2 days later? I feel a good website is extremely important.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
If I may be so bold, check out my site and my signature. We have a Flash demo which should be easy to do for your app. I can post details on how I did it. Not only does the site help sell the app but it has cut down on questions because of the FAQ and demo.

My signature links to my site. Yours links to your iTunes page, which as we all know, is much harder to format etc. I know you want to make it easy for people to buy, but you can use your site to make it more likely that they will want to buy.

Get a dot com for $10/year. Use that instead and also instead of your gmail address. Use all the space in your signature. You have some sales, but zero reviews. Fix that. Send promo codes here etc.

DynamicCoreApps

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
thanks for the tips guys ill do as much as i can. Can anyone refer me to a domain registration site so i can get my self a .com? Also my site is currently just hosted by google sits which has pretty limited flexibility do you recommend i pay for the freedom or keep the site as is? if you think a change is a good idea any good web hosting sites??

i'll take your advice and send out some promo codes as well but learning from last time i did it ill pm them out so i know who gets them as when i posted them they were taken by people without any review or what not.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
thanks for the tips guys ill do as much as i can. Can anyone refer me to a domain registration site so i can get my self a .com? Also my site is currently just hosted by google sits which has pretty limited flexibility do you recommend i pay for the freedom or keep the site as is? if you think a change is a good idea any good web hosting sites??

i'll take your advice and send out some promo codes as well but learning from last time i did it ill pm them out so i know who gets them as when i posted them they were taken by people without any review or what not.

I use mydomain.com
use coupon code googlelady to save 15%
stealth URL forwarding can redirect to your google site
check spelling in your signature ... you have ss not us
good idea re promo codes... try a contest or other hurdle to make sure the reviewers are your target audience

DynamicCoreApps

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I use mydomain.com
use coupon code googlelady to save 15%
stealth URL forwarding can redirect to your google site
check spelling in your signature ... you have ss not us
good idea re promo codes... try a contest or other hurdle to make sure the reviewers are your target audience

thanks for the advice and ill look into the domain site

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.