PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Rev A 1.6 80g Macbook Air with Mtron mobi3000 SLC 32gb SSD

fan9
Jan 6, 2009, 08:13 AM
I just ordered a 1.8" 32gb Mtron mobi 3000 SLC ssd with pata zif connector 5mm thickness off ebay. I am planning on replacing my 80gb 4200rpm hdd in my rev A macbook air with this ssd. The specs are pretty impressive with 100MB/s both read and write. Apparently there are two versions of this ssd one is 8mm the other one is 5mm. So make sure you get the 5mm one if you are planning to use it in your Air. Here is the link for those that are interested http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mtron-SSD-PATA-1-8-32GB-Zif-SLC-Solid-State-Disk_W0QQitemZ150316310089QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item150316310089&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

The seller claims that it is 100% compatible with the Macbook air. My question now is, how do I install OSX on to this new ssd? I don't have the external drive for air, can I do remote install using this new ssd? Thanks!

neiltc13
Jan 6, 2009, 08:21 AM
So you went from 80GB of storage to 32. Sounds like a downgrade to me.

fan9
Jan 6, 2009, 08:43 AM
You serious? constructive replies plz...

AIRniloc
Jan 6, 2009, 11:33 PM
You serious? constructive replies plz...

if you have an external HD with a USB connection and the original OS discs that came with your air, you'll be fine..

go to a buddies house who has a mac with a superdrive, take with you your external HD and your OS install discs..

make a disk image (.dmg) of the OS install discs in disk utility..

make a small partition on your external HD (8-10 Gb)

restore this newly created partition from the OS .dmg (source=.dmg, destination=new partition)..

then you're all set...

install your new SSD drive, then plug your USB external HD drive into your air and shut down..

hold down the option key while you boot your macbook air with the new SSD in it, don't let go of the option key until you see the newly created partition on your external HD and then select it.

now you're basically just booting off of your install disk...

then go to disk utility (under utilities menu) and select your MOBI SSD, go to 'partition' and set up as Mac OS extended (journaled) format, then go to option and select GUID partition...oh yeah, and name your HD..

once the partition is done, quit disk utility and enter the leopard installer...if i were you, i would skip all of the printer downloads and foreign languages to save as much space as possible ( you can do this under 'options' on the final page of the installer BEFORE you press 'install')

your MOBI 32Gb SSD will probably only have a capacity of about 28GB or so right out of the box, and doing a skin and bones install of the OS will leave you with roughly 18-22 GBs of free space after the OS install...

first app you should download is xBench, so you can tell me your score with the MOBI ssd in it :)

good luck, and congrats on the MOBI score....i thought about doing the same thing, but just opted for selling my Rev A and scored the Rev B SSD...curious what score you'll get with the MOBI's incredible read/write speeds..

fan9
Jan 8, 2009, 12:01 AM
Thank you so much for your reply! I will definetly let you know the score of this ssd when I get it going. But I have to wait for about 2 weeks, since its being shipped from Korea. Again, thank you for your detailed instructions!

lankox
Jan 8, 2009, 02:15 PM
Would love to get my info about this as well.

mcpryon2
Jan 8, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'll be waiting to hear how this turns out, as well. Good luck with it, I can't wait to hear of the results.

poky
Jan 8, 2009, 07:07 PM
I have tried both Samsung zif SSD and Mtron one, which are the only 2 ZIF 5mm SSD that will fit in the Rev. A MBA.
I thought the Mtron one will be much faster, as the specs says 100mb/s read, 80 mb/s write.
But here's the real world test by Xbench.
As you can see, the Mtron SSD is faster, but not by far from the Samsung's.
But it consumes more power, even more then the original 80gb HDD.
The power consumption according to my test is Mtron>Samsung 80gb>Samsung SSD.

There's one way to make the Mtron SSD to achieve it's original speed, is by turn on the UDMA-7 support from the Mac OS X, default was set to UDMA-6, which explain the slow speed.
Because the same Mtron was installed a bootcamp with Vista, and forced turn on the UDMA-7 support, and the speed achieve 80mb/s in read.

Please let me know if anyone knows how to turn it on in Mac OS X.

lankox
Jan 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks Poky for taken the time to post your results. The numbers are disappointing. Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution. Surprised to find out that is consumes more power?

fan9
Jan 8, 2009, 10:18 PM
wow, thanks for the charts, thats very interesting. Oh well, time to find a way to enable udma-7 in OSX...

mac jones
Jan 9, 2009, 01:27 AM
Those Mtrons are power hogs.

Apparently, they use some sort of generic controller that consumes copious amounts of power.

Sort of defeats it's purpose in an ultralight.

I have a pre-order for a Runcore 64GB 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF drive ($200) that gets around 60MB/s read AND writes that should be out in a few days. I don't know the power specs but at this price who cares :D

There are some graphs for this at the JKmobile blog. It's a MLC drive but should be ok. (the new Samsungs SATAs in the rev B are also MLC)

LinMac
Jan 9, 2009, 04:50 AM

Apparently, they use some sort of generic controller that consumes copious amounts of power.

I have a pre-order for a Runcore 64GB 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF drive ($200) that gets around 60MB/s read AND writes that should be out in a few days. I don't know the power specs but at this price who cares :D

There are some graphs for this at the JKmobile blog. It's a MLC drive but should be ok. (the new Samsungs SATAs in the rev B are also MLC)

Let us know how the install goes. I'd like to upgrade my Macbook Air to an SSD, but only one that will work properly. :D

jtamac
Jan 9, 2009, 07:53 AM

Where did you order the Runcore SSD from? I am interested in buying one for my Rev A MBA. Thanks.

frimple
Jan 9, 2009, 10:24 AM
Should have gotten the X25-M.

EDIT: I knew I was posting the wrong model... X18-M... srry

mac jones
Jan 9, 2009, 11:23 AM
Where did you order the Runcore SSD from? I am interested in buying one for my Rev A MBA. Thanks.

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Browse+By+Brand%3ARunCore:RunCore+1.8+inch+ZIF+SSDs

Note: the 128GB is 8mm and WILL NOT FIT!.

So it's 64GB or less. But these will fit.

Also, this site is legit (has been around for a while...)

justit
Jan 9, 2009, 11:43 AM
Note: the 128GB is 8mm and WILL NOT FIT!.

I wonder if cutting a square on the bottom panel where the drive fits would work? Ugly :), but to get 128SSD on a Rev A definitely worth it for me.

mac jones
Jan 9, 2009, 12:55 PM
I wonder if cutting a square on the bottom panel where the drive fits would work? Ugly :), but to get 128SSD on a Rev A definitely worth it for me.

There's some room in there if you don't use the bracket. I don't know how much but it might be doable.

Better idea is to get a USB 32GB (or another 1.8" SSD with a 1.8" enclosure)

I have one and it makes for a very portable solution with decent speed.

poteck
Jan 10, 2009, 07:30 PM
HI all,

I bought last week those drive to the same ebay vendor. What can i say, simple IT DOES NOT WORK on my AIR:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Donīt know why, iīm waiting the reply from the vendor. I just swap the old one and then install the new Mtron MSD-PATA3018Z2, my mac donīt detect it. Fan9 did you do something special to the disk?

What is more strange is that the disk work if i connect it to an external USB box, but not in my Air ZIF conector. IDEAS???

Please Fan9 could you look at your BOX the model number, in my box in the green adhesive it said MSD-PATA3018Z2(B)
and in the P/N:MSD-PATA3018-032-ZIF2

Is the same model that work for you?

I open a support ticket in MTRON but i donīt wait any kind of help from them at all. Just wait and see...
I will tell you...

Thanks.

Poteck

justit
Jan 10, 2009, 08:08 PM

Did you follow AIRniloc (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=257036)'s instructions in this thread?

AIRniloc
Jan 11, 2009, 02:18 AM
HI all,

I bought last week those drive to the same ebay vendor. What can i say, simple IT DOES NOT WORK on my AIR:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Donīt know why, iīm waiting the reply from the vendor. I just swap the old and put the new Mtron MSD-PATA3018Z2 and my mac donīt detect it. Fan9 did you do something special to the disk?

What is more strange is that the disk work if i conect it to an externas USB box, but not in my macbook air ZIF conector. IDEAS???

Please Fan9 could you look at your BOX the model number, in my box in the green adhesive it said MSD-PATA3018Z2(B)
and in the P/N:MSD-PATA3018-032-ZIF2

I open a support ticket in MTRON but i donīt wait any kind of help from them at all. Just wait and see...
I will tell you...

Thanks.

Poteck

*whispers* try re-seating your SSD ZIF connector...that thing can be a biotch :)

fan9
Jan 11, 2009, 09:30 AM
Sorry to hear that...but I haven't gotten the drive yet. Try taping the zif connector down with electrical tape..maybe that will help. Good luck!

mac jones
Jan 11, 2009, 12:01 PM
The Mtron 32GB 3000 1.8 PATA ZIF that i had didn't work in my Air.

It wouldn't even format correctly on a couple machines using an 1.8" enclosure.

It did work in a Samsung Q1-EL though.

Save some time and just get rid of it.

They are power hogs anyway. (not good for an Air)

I wanted it to work as it's specs were better (on paper) than the Samsung SSDs.

But in 'real world' you probably wouldn't see much difference.

poteck
Jan 11, 2009, 04:24 PM
SO, at all it doesnīt work on my Air. I connect it in a USB box and format on my mac mini with the GUI mode but my Air continue to not detect it.

I wrote to MTRON support team waiting for a solution, but i donīt wait too much about this "solution".

About the Tape solution for the ZIF connector didnīt work, i donīt think is a problem of contact in the ZIF connector.

Mac jones where did u get those 64GB runcore? sounds good..

Thanks.

Poteck

AIRniloc
Jan 11, 2009, 04:58 PM
SO, at all it doesnīt work on my Air. I connect it in a USB box and format on my mac mini with the GUI mode but my Air continue to not detect it.

I wrote to MTRON support team waiting for a solution, but i donīt wait too much about this "solution".

About the Tape solution for the ZIF connector didnīt work, i donīt think is a problem of contact in the ZIF connector.

Mac jones where did u get those 64GB runcore? sounds good..

Thanks.

Poteck

perhaps you should contact poky...he had his MTRON in his MBAir rev a...

if its formatted properly and being recognized in disk utility on your mac mini, there is NO REASON why it shouldn't be recognized in your air..really

poky
Jan 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
perhaps you should contact poky...he had his MTRON in his MBAir rev a...

if its formatted properly and being recognized in disk utility on your mac mini, there is NO REASON why it shouldn't be recognized in your air..really

Hi, make sure you have latching the connector (the black small piece that tights the cable), without latching it might seems works fine, but problem occasionally appear, I had exactly the same problem as you before. As the drive formats fine, but errors appears while the installation etc.

mac jones
Jan 11, 2009, 05:35 PM
I spent forever trying to get the Mtron to work. It worked once at first but after that-no..

I even replaced the ribbon cable. I tried all configurations.

I think is is a finicky connector (a physical problem).

Some may work, others may not.

That's just my guess

After all, those little ribbon cables are not the most robust.

poteck
Jan 12, 2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks to all for the replys, I will post the "resolution" of my problem as soon as i know something from Mtron...

One more thing, Mac jones: where did u get the RUNCORE 64 GB ssd?

Poteck

radus
Jan 12, 2009, 08:38 AM
I bought both the Intel X25-M and the MTRON 7525 (64GB).
The Intel outperforms the MTRON in writing and reading !!
May be it is an UDMA 7 problem. The MTRON support could not help.

Ullrich

mac jones
Jan 12, 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks to all for the replys, I will post the "resolution" of my problem as soon as i know something from Mtron...

Poteck

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/SPD/runcore-64gb-pro-1-8--5mm-pata-zif-solid-state-drive-ssd-runcore-64gb-pro-1-8--5mm-pata-zif-solid-state-drive-ssd--80000908-1227178988.jsp

lankox
Jan 12, 2009, 11:40 AM
I bought both the Intel X25-M and the MTRON 7525 (64GB).
The Intel outperforms the MTRON in writing and reading !!
May be it is an UDMA 7 problem. The MTRON support could not help.

Ullrich

Do you mean the Intel x18-M? I thought the Intel SSD would not work because it did not have a Zif connector??

mac jones
Jan 12, 2009, 11:59 AM
Do you mean the Intel x18-M? I thought the Intel SSD would not work because it did not have a Zif connector??

He used different machines.

lankox
Jan 12, 2009, 05:33 PM
I'm ready to buy one of the $999 refurb Mac Air's but I'm waiting for a decent option to upgrade to a SSD. Is there one??

justit
Jan 13, 2009, 12:49 AM
I'm ready to buy one of the $999 refurb Mac Air's but I'm waiting for a decent option to upgrade to a SSD. Is there one??

The $300 additional for the apple refurb 64GB SSD will probably be your best reliable option. Everyone seems to be moving to SATA not PATA/ZIF as showcased at CES.

radus
Jan 13, 2009, 05:38 AM
I put it in a Macbook Pro late 2008 and did tests with Drive Genius.
But I assume the Intel X-18M will behave the same (compared to the MTRON 7518). The only problem with the Intels might be a firmware upgdate - because the Mac wil recognise them as a RAID - and this can prevent it from doing the firmware update.

I think you will go better with the Intel X-18 M ( which is also cheaper ) and much better with the Intels X-18 E.

Ullrich

lankox
Jan 13, 2009, 04:47 PM
The $300 additional for the apple refurb 64GB SSD will probably be your best reliable option. Everyone seems to be moving to SATA not PATA/ZIF as showcased at CES.

From what I understand, the SSD in the Rev A had just a little faster read times and slower write times than the HDD. I'm wondering if that is due to the particular SSD Apple is using or due to the PATA interface?

AIRniloc
Jan 14, 2009, 07:38 AM
From what I understand, the SSD in the Rev A had just a little faster read times and slower write times than the HDD. I'm wondering if that is due to the particular SSD Apple is using or due to the PATA interface?

its bc of both :)

PATA slows it down, and the MLC samsung was one of the slowest on the market at the time..

kikote
Jan 21, 2009, 04:39 AM
Well, I also did it. I bought the MTRON MOBI from the same guy in Ebay than fan9 did. Yesterday it arrived (from Korea!)... At the evening I intalled the MTRON drive in the Macbook Air.

The computer feels snappier now, I thought I could give you some info about the time the computer needs to start applications:

Boot into leopard (till the log-in screen appears):
Standard 80GB Samsung: 45 sec
MTRON MOBI SSD3000: 21 Sec

Start Microsoft Word 2008
Standard 80GB Samsung: 18 sec
MTRON MOBI SSD3000: 5 Sec

Start OmniGrafflePro 5
Standard 80GB Samsung: 10 sec
MTRON MOBI SSD3000: 4 Sec

Start Mindmanager 7:
Standard 80GB Samsung: 5 sec
MTRON MOBI SSD3000: 2 Sec

Start OmniFocus:
Standard 80GB Samsung: 6 sec

Start Iphoto (with 4GB photo DB):
Standard 80GB Samsung: 15 sec
MTRON MOBI SSD3000: 6 Sec

Start Microsoft Excel 2008:
MTRON MOBI SSD3000: 4 Sec

Start Pathfnder 5:
Standard 80GB Samsung: 8 sec
MTRON MOBI SSD3000: 3 Sec

Start Firefox:
MTRON MOBI SSD3000: 3 Sec

Start Mail.app:
Standard 80GB Samsung: 5 sec

In my opinion this is a respectable performace boost. I will keep the MTRON in my Air, as I use it inly for work and I still have 10GB free on the hard disk. :)

Best regards
Ricardo

AIRniloc
Jan 21, 2009, 05:35 AM
awesome!

is there anyway i could persuade you to download xBench and give us your scores with the MOBI installed? :D

kikote
Jan 21, 2009, 07:17 AM
awesome!

is there anyway i could persuade you to download xBench and give us your scores with the MOBI installed? :D

As you wish, here they are:

italiansauce88
Jan 21, 2009, 08:52 AM
Good numbers.... how is the performance on youtube, flash, streaming HD video, etc...

and the behavior of the fan??

raghad
Jan 21, 2009, 08:53 AM

Poteck

Hey Poteck,

I am in the same boat as you. Ordered MSD-PATA3018-032-ZIF2 and it's not being detected by my Macbook Air. Very frustrating!!!

Did you hear anything from MTRON?

Does anyone think it could have anything to do with ZIF1 and ZIF2 connectors? I hope there's a solution soon for this, my 250 dollar ssd is just collecting dust now, and if I sell it, I'm gonna lose a lot of it's value.

kikote
Jan 21, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hello italiansauce88,

I canīt really see any difference in the performance with youtube, flash, HD-streaming... The graphic-chip is still the same, so I still have the same lame performance in the tasks you have asked for.
I also didnīt notice a difference with the fan. It has the same behaviour than before changing the disk...

I still have to see, if the MTRON really consumes as much power as I have read... I think I will check it in the next days, after I update the firmware...

kikote
Jan 21, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hey mac_jones,

did you try to update the firmware? The new firmware 019R1 resolves the following problems:

ㆍSupporting write cache Enable/Disable.
ㆍTo solve Drive Reject problem in a particular system.
ㆍAdding Set Max Command of Host Protected Area Feature set security extension.
- Set Max Set Password
- Set Max Lock
- Set Max Freeze Lock
- Set Max Unlock
ㆍResolve boot delay problem on 7500 series and 3500 series.

You can download the firmware from www.mtron.net

The Mtron in my AIR is working perfectly.

raghad
Jan 21, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hey mac_jones,

did you try to update the firmware? The new firmware 019R1 resolves the following problems:

ㆍSupporting write cache Enable/Disable.
ㆍTo solve Drive Reject problem in a particular system.
ㆍAdding Set Max Command of Host Protected Area Feature set security extension.
- Set Max Set Password
- Set Max Lock
- Set Max Freeze Lock
- Set Max Unlock
ㆍResolve boot delay problem on 7500 series and 3500 series.

You can download the firmware from www.mtron.net

The Mtron in my AIR is working perfectly.

Hey kikote,

Which SSD are you using? MSD-PATA3018-032-ZIF1 or MSD-PATA3018-032-ZIF2?

And are you able to upgrade firmware using a mac? Do you need special interface adapters?

Cheers!

kikote
Jan 21, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hello mac_jones,

I am using a MSD-PATA3018-032-ZIF2. To update the firmware you have to create a dos boot disk, and boot from it... I havenīt tried it yet, so I canīt confirm if it will work. At the moment I am trying to download the firmware, but I always get an error. I have written the Mtron-support, I hope I get the firmware soon :-)

Regards
Ricardo

raghad
Jan 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hello mac_jones,

I am using a MSD-PATA3018-032-ZIF2. To update the firmware you have to create a dos boot disk, and boot from it... I havenīt tried it yet, so I canīt confirm if it will work. At the moment I am trying to download the firmware, but I always get an error. I have written the Mtron-support, I hope I get the firmware soon :-)

Regards
Ricardo

Ok, thanks for clearing that up... I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities as to why my ssd isn't working... This may sound stupid, but does the mtron sit face up or face down? I.e. If the original samsung hdd and the mtron ssd are both face up, is pin 1 on the same end of each connector?

Thank again! You have no idea how frustrating it is having the ssd back in it's box! :( haha...

kikote
Jan 21, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hello Raghad,

the connector is faced to the mainboard. Exactly the same as the Samsung disk was. A good walkthrough from anandtech on how to swap the drive with exact photo on how to plug the cable:
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3226&p=13
I wish you a lot of luck with your drive!

raghad
Jan 22, 2009, 12:16 AM
So when the ssd is plugged in, do you see the mtron label, or the brown back of the disk?

kikote
Jan 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
I see the MTRON label. Here you have a photo:

fteoath64
Jan 23, 2009, 03:59 AM
Great contribution, Kikote!. I see the Xbench results shows Read @ 66MB/s and write at ~ 37MB/s, this is not bad considering the price. Actually, a bit faster than the SSD in Rev A, as I recall its read is about 60MB/s.

Lets hope Toshiba comes up with an ASIC version of the Mtron controller as the current one implemented in FPGA chip that sucks a lot of power. Tosh actually invested a lot of money into Mtron some months ago for their technology.

The day when a 128GB SSD with 5mm thickness and pata/ZIF running at 200MB/s read and 160MB/s write at $400, will certainly cause a stampede in demand from Rev A users. This would make Rev A upgrade to be faster than Rev B SSD!!. Except in graphics benchmarks, of course but who cares in an AIR right ?.

kikote
Jan 23, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hello Raghad,

MTRON sent me yesterday firmware 0.19R1H2. Today I took the challenge of updating the firmware. Therefore I only did a standard DOS BootCD with included update utility and firmware. I booted my AIR with the option key pressed and chose to start from CD. After that, I just had to start the up.exe with the firmware file on the command line. The update itself did take about 4 seconds... Everything went smooth...
Now I am having the new firmware and I have the feeling that the disk is even faster... At least X-bench shows some better results when saving files...

fan9
Jan 27, 2009, 05:23 AM
I just put the mtron drive into my macbook air, and its working right away!(whew..). Installed xbench and I have been getting similar results as kikote. I wonder if anyone knows how to enable udma-7 under os X, because someone earlier mentioned that the drive performs alot better under windows with udma 7 turned on. I am gonna use it for a while and see if the mtron is more power hungry than the hdd. Thanks everyone.

poteck
Jan 27, 2009, 06:17 AM
Hello Raghad,

Iīm trying to get it back to the vendor. I lost 20 more dollars in the ZIF to IDE adaptor in order to update the firmware, and after that the same my Air donīt detect it. At the moment i have spent around 250 $ in a brick an cables.

From what i know your disk and the one i have are faulty units.

And for sure Mtron never give a reply to my mails...

raghad
Feb 4, 2009, 09:21 AM
Just an update, I'm supposed to receive my IDE adapter tomorrow. I'm gonna try it in a PC to determine if the drive is defective or just not compatible. I'll keep you posted.

poteck
Feb 6, 2009, 05:23 AM
From what i proof my unit is not compatibe or faulty with the macbook Air

besexpress
Mar 6, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I just bought 1 and my MacBook Air Rev A couldn't detect it.

How do i create a DOS bootable CD with the Mtron firmware? I've tried these steps but not avail...

1. Download DOS (tried Windows 95 as well) bootimage
2. Create new image with MagicISO
3. Load Boot image from the downloaded DOS image
4. Add Up.exe and Mtron.mfi into the CD
5. Burn the CD
6. When i booted up into DOS, i just can see the UP and Mtron files

Any steps that i missed?

besexpress
Mar 6, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I just bought 1 and my MacBook Air Rev A couldn't detect it.

How do i create a DOS bootable CD with the Mtron firmware? I've tried these steps but not avail...

1. Download DOS (tried Windows 95 as well) bootimage
2. Create new image with MagicISO
3. Load Boot image from the downloaded DOS image
4. Add Up.exe and Mtron.mfi into the CD
5. Burn the CD
6. When i booted up into DOS, i just can't see the UP and Mtron files

Any steps that i missed?

raghad
Mar 10, 2009, 12:09 PM
Quick update: I have not yet gotten the drive to work with my macbook!

The drive is not faulty, since it works (is detected) when connected to my PC.

I have updated the firmware to version 19, and that didn't fix it. Then I upgraded to version 20, and that didn't fix it either. I am going to try to install it in another macbook air, and hopefully that should work. My best guess is that the drive is not compatible with some of the logic boards Apple used in the MBA, but is compatible with others. I don't know if that's an accurate assumption, but all other avenues I have tested have failed!

In the mean time, MRTON might fix this issue from their end with another firmware release. The version 20 firmware fixes compatibility issues, but unfortunately this is targeted at the MSD3025 model.

In any case, I will update you guys with any new developments on my end. I wish everyone the best of luck as it's incredibly frustrating watching a $200 drive collect dust on my table!

VirtualRain
Apr 2, 2009, 02:01 AM

I have updated the firmware to version 19, and that didn't fix it. Then I upgraded to version 20, and that didn't fix it either. I am going to try to install it in another macbook air, and hopefully that should work. My best guess is that the drive is not compatible with some of the logic boards Apple used in the MBA, but is compatible with others. I don't know if that's an accurate assumption, but all other avenues I have tested have failed!

In the mean time, MRTON might fix this issue from their end with another firmware release. The version 20 firmware fixes compatibility issues, but unfortunately this is targeted at the MSD3025 model.

In any case, I will update you guys with any new developments on my end. I wish everyone the best of luck as it's incredibly frustrating watching a $200 drive collect dust on my table!

Has anyone got any further updates on this initiative or alternative SSD upgrades for Rev A. MBA's?

I would love to give my year-old MBA some new life!

poteck
Apr 11, 2009, 01:39 PM
From what i know, my MTRON didnīt work, The runcore there are lot of problems, probably in both cases because of the ZIF or voltage, who knows, bad news at all....

G5ANDY
Jun 2, 2009, 05:21 PM

Have you tried resetting your PRAM, NVRAM, & SMC? How about restarting your computer in safemode?