Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I got a phone call yesterday from Apple. It was an employee from customer relations asking me if I had any comments, complaints, or suggestions regarding my recent purchase. I didn't really have any, since everything went smoothly. At the end of the call, he said "And to thank you for your business and taking the time to speak with me, I can offer you 10-15% off if there is anything you'd like to purchase now." Even better, when I told him that my next purchase probably wouldn't be until September or October, he gave me his extension so I could call him back and get a discount then. He said the only thing that currently does not qualify for the discount is the iPod mini, obviously, because it is selling so well right now. I think this is a good idea. I don't always buy directly from Apple, but if the discount is valid on the iPod mini later this year, I'll be buying my wife's birthday present from Apple. He said the program was only a couple of weeks old, but he thinks it will still be going on in October, and possibly even past Christmas. Has anyone else received a similar phone call?

btw- I never called the 800 number he gave me to make sure he was really from Apple, but he knew what I had purchased and even asked me about a camera that I had put in my shopping cart and then removed when I decided not to buy it.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
TimDaddy said:
... he knew what I had purchased and even asked me about a camera that I had put in my shopping cart and then removed when I decided not to buy it.

Is it just me, or is that more than a little creepy? :eek:

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
TimDaddy said:
Yea, that did bug me just a little. But, at least he didn't say "You also searched for laptops, and I see that you spent three minutes looking at the product page for the eMac. Can I help you with any of those?"

well..he shouldnt know the time you browse on a paritcular section, thats for sure...y dont u call back and check,..and any temporary scheme shouldnt so 'conveniently' extend to october as well...
but then i hv been too many poirots lately...:D

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
All I know is that if you are logged into Apple permanently, they have some pretty good cookies that sit in your system. I just stands to reason that they'd have those same records in their own system.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
How do you even know that CR rep is from Apple? It could be someone wanting to exercise their Patriot Act rights.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I once got a phone call from Apple. The woman said: „We saw you put a Power Mac into your shopping basket, but then you canceled the order.“ She then asked if this was intentionally or if there’s been an error. I just wanted to custom build one to see how much it would cost and they called me back. I agree, this is creepy.

TimDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Veldek said:
I once got a phone call from Apple. The woman said: „We saw you put a Power Mac into your shopping basket, but then you canceled the order.“ She then asked if this was intentionally or if there’s been an error. I just wanted to custom build one to see how much it would cost and they called me back. I agree, this is creepy.

I guess it would suck for them if you were someone who wasn't used to shopping online and weren't sure what you were doing. If you deleted it by accident, gave up, and went to Wally World and got an EMachine, they wouldn't like that. So, I guess they are just making sure they aren't missing any sales because someone gave up. Also, if you think you ordered it because you didn't realize that you had deleted it, you'd get pissed after a few weeks and it still hadn't shown up. As long as the tracking doesn't start until you choose to start the purchase process, I guess I'm o.k. with it. I think I'll go start to order a bunch of XServes to screw up any profile they have on me! I like to let strangers use my Kroger card, and I'll use theirs, so we still get the discounts (actually old regular price) but Kroger doesn't know our habits as well as they wish.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
TimDaddy said:
I guess it would suck for them if you were someone who wasn't used to shopping online and weren't sure what you were doing. If you deleted it by accident, gave up, and went to Wally World and got an EMachine, they wouldn't like that. So, I guess they are just making sure they aren't missing any sales because someone gave up. Also, if you think you ordered it because you didn't realize that you had deleted it, you'd get pissed after a few weeks and it still hadn't shown up. As long as the tracking doesn't start until you choose to start the purchase process, I guess I'm o.k. with it. I think I'll go start to order a bunch of XServes to screw up any profile they have on me! I like to let strangers use my Kroger card, and I'll use theirs, so we still get the discounts (actually old regular price) but Kroger doesn't know our habits as well as they wish.

I run the web division of my company and we have that ability. We frequently contact (via email, not phone) people and solicit their feedback from our site. It is increasingly difficult to gauge your sites usability from the inside. Outside opinions frequently come up with some very good ideas, some so simple, you're embarassed that it was never though of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.